Unable to access CIFS/SMB shares from Linux - works in Windows

• I have recently installed a fresh instance of OMV6 and created a set of shared folders. I can access the folders in win10 desktop, but I cannot do so from my linux devices. I have tried both manual mount & autofs & still can't access the shared folders. dmesg shows an error message-

Code
    [15271.874919] CIFS: Attempting to mount \\taxila.gaia\video
    [15271.894831] CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    [15271.894878] CIFS: VFS: \\taxila.gaia Send error in SessSetup = -13
    [15271.901527] CIFS: VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13

I have not implemented ACLs & have used reset-perms plugin to be safe.

• Server 'taxila' is the newly installed OMV6 instance.
    • Server 'Svalbard' is an old OMV5 instance which is working fine with all devices (win & linux).

Folder structure:

Vault(main folder)

video(sub folder inside vault, shared separately).

• STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Due to error code I'd assume permissions don't come into play yet.

Questions to ask:

What user login is used for connecting to OMV server share on your linux devices ?

Is the login configured on side of OMV6 server?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mi-hol ()

• Code
    \\taxila.gaia\video

That's Windows notation , you want //taxila.gaia/video in Linux.

I have tried that with the forward slash as well, but the getting the same error.

I use this command to test using manual mount:

sudo mount -v -t cifs //taxila.gaia/video /mnt -o "credentials=/cred_chips/.smb_creds,vers=3"

Below is my autofs config for cifs mounts:

Code
    staging  -fstype=cifs,vers=3.0,rw,credentials=/cred_chips/.smb_creds,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=illadan,gid=illadan  ://svalbard.gaia/staging
    video -fstype=cifs,vers=3.0,rw,credentials=/cred_chips/.smb_creds,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=illadan,gid=illadan ://taxila.gaia/video
  • Which linux distro are you using? Have you checked the Windows shares are visible on your linux box using smbclient?

Your mount command looks correct to me, so is taxlia.gaia fully resolved? Did you check the perms on "/cred_chips/.smb_creds" ?

• Which linux distro are you using? Have you checked the Windows shares are visible on your linux box using smbclient?

Your mount command looks correct to me, so is taxlia.gaia fully resolved? Did you check the perms on "/cred_chips/.smb_creds" ?

I am using armbian (debian 10 & 11) for Odroids & DietPi for Raspberry Pis. I have attached the smblient output above (link here). I have also checked the resolution of the hostname & Its up & resolved.

perms on the smb credentials is below:

illadan@agastya:~$ ls -ltr /cred_chips/.smb_creds

-rw-r--r-- 1 illadan illadan 36 Nov 4 18:19 /cred_chips/.smb_creds

illadan@agastya:~$

• Do you really want non-root users reading your creds file? I did wonder why you were using a vers=3 flag in you mount commands, but I've no Rpi to confirm if dropping that flag makes a difference. You wouldn't use it on x86. Have you added any (global) options to the SMB/CIFS server settings ?

You can also look to see what if any output smbstatus is giving you on OMV6 via the webUI or CLI. Otherwise its debug mode on Samba

P.S. I did check in x86 land, a fully updated deb10 client negotiates a SMB3_02 connection, while a deb11 client negotiates a SMB3_11 connection without the need to use a vers flag in a CIFS kernel mount. Does your deb10 client software need updating?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Krisbee () aus folgendem Grund: incomplete

• Do you really want non-root users reading your creds file? I did wonder why you were using a vers=3 flag in you mount commands, but I've no Rpi to confirm if dropping that flag makes a difference. You wouldn't use it on x86. Have you added any (global) options to the SMB/CIFS server settings ?

I have kept the read flag open for some other purposes which I will be removing - the system is on a isolated VLAN with good security. As for the flag, I had tried it to just make sure that I was using Version 3 or above to connect.

You can also look to see what if any output smbstatus is giving you on OMV6 via the webUI or CLI. Otherwise its debug mode on Samba

PFB the output from the smbstatus. I have attached the OMV5 instance as a reference:

OMV6:

OMV5:

Does your deb10 client software need updating?

I have updated all relevant software & run apt upgrades bi-weekly, which I did before setting up the new OMV6 instance.

• Can you explain why adding a cert will allow linux clients to connect ?

Risking the wrath of OMV guru's around the world, no I can't. I have a general understanding of how
    certificates work, but I lack the technical knowledge and depth to explain the why.

Apart from adding the certificate, in

System > Workbench,

I checked both boxes for "SSL/TLS enabled" and "Force SSL/TLS¨

with said certificate.

While perhaps not the answer you wanted, but it "just works".

• It's disappointing that no on else currently using OMV on arm based devices has contributed to this thread.

I have no access to such devices nor recent experience of using raspbian, armbian etc. and cpus that don't support AES.

My only suggestions now are:

1. google for the original error "CIFS: Status code returned 0xc000006d STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" This reminds me to ask if you added "domain=XXXX" to your credentials file? Where XXXX matches the OMV6 samba server work group.

2. on the problem linux client, stop the autofs daemon and run automunt in the foreground with either

automont -f -v or automont -f -v -d this may provide some useful debugging info.

3. check relevant logs on your clients, including the kernel log..

4. go through the logs on the new OMV6 server - particularly syslog & samba logs

If you still get nowhere, start a new thread asking for help with your specific arm device, clearly stating what your new server hardware is, how you installed OMV6 on it and the connection problem.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Krisbee () aus folgendem Grund: missing info

• It's disappointing that no on else currently using OMV on arm based devices has contributed to this thread.

Maybe because those who use arm devices don't use SAMBA and don't have nothing to add?, :/:saint:

Honestly, after mounting the drives via NFS on my Windows, I will never go back to SAMBA.

Only thing is, I have no Linux rig to test it.

Unless you count LibreElec/Kodi (with ZeroConf) which, as a matter of fact also plugs to the NFS share without problems.

And, after skeeming through the Thread and reading a lot of things I don't understand, I see now that my input isn't helping either, sorry.

As for the OPs situation Sol-Illadan , if you want to try NFS on Windows, I can give some pointers.

Maybe it will sort your Linux && Windows connections.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!