OMV - cannot import SSH key

• I am struggling to import my SSH key to OMV under System -> Certificates -> SSH. I plan to use the SSH key for rsync access to a remote server (and not for an OMV login). When adding the private key i get an error saying

Code
    privatekey: The value '-----BEGIN OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----
    (key contents)
    -----END OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----
    ' is not a SSH private key (RSA).

the error message is technically true because the key i am trying to import is indeed not an RSA SSH private key but an EdDSA one.

I see support for EdDSA private keys has been added in https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/1127. But what about private keys?

edit: i get the same error when trying to import an rsa key. some additional info from the error message:

SuperMicro CSE-825, X11SSH-F, Xeon E3-1240v6, 32 GB ECC RAM, LSI 9211-8i HBA controller, 2x 8 TB, 1x 4 TB, 1x3TB, MergerFS+SnapRAID