Permissions problem after restore from USB Backup Plugin

• I have been trying out the USB Backup Plugin. Yes, it works but . . . the value of any backup system depends on whether it actually works on restore so that's what I set out to test.

I created backups on a USB drive, created with USB Backup Plugin, writing to the USB drive with no problems or errors.

I changed a few files on the server smb share using Mac finder, eg renaming them.

I restored from USB drive to original folder using the plugin, again no errors or problems. ( the delete option was not set)

Then I went back to Mac Finder to see what had happened and I see the renamed files and the originals copied from the backup. Looked perfect.

But I then found that many files/folders on the OMV share could not be written to, basically I don't have permissions do . . . .

Sometimes I could fix this by using reset permissions plugin, with clear ACLs), sometimes not. Some files remained locked as seen by Mac Finder, although the get info utility shows nothing untoward in permissions settings.

Then I looked at the troublesome files/folders using ssh into the OMV server and found that the folders were owned by 'Nobody'. I eventually fixed it by chroot/chmod to root/777.

I had expected that the backup files would be restored in the same state as they were before the backup.

My shares are set up for everybody read/write and guest only.

I seek enlightenment :)

• I use fsarchiver for OS backups, installed via apt-get. I had to restore from one a few weeks ago and I must say, it was flawless.

Here is the a script I use to do daily rotating backups via an OMV scheduled job. If you want to use it you would need to edit it to match your system. I am using it for OS, but it can easily be modified for other drives or folders.

Full instructions are available at the official website https://www.fsarchiver.org

OS restoration can be done by booting into the SystemRescue option that can be installed via the OMV Extras or from a bootable SystemRescue disc/usb stick (https://www.system-rescue.org)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!