2.5GB Networking

• Offizieller Beitrag

While 10GB NIC's and switches are still a bit pricey for home networking, it appears that 2.5GB is within reason.

- Has anyone upgraded their network to 2.5GB?

- How is 2.5GB working out regarding reliability and performance?
    - Do you have any recommendations for NIC's and / or a switch?
    (OR)
    - Would you recommend waiting a bit for 10GB to come down in price?

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Has anyone upgraded their network to 2.5GB?

I bought this switch when I first got my Helios 64. It is linked to my primary switch via 10GB. Switch works very well.

How is 2.5GB working out regarding reliability and performance?

When the Helios 2.5GB NIC wasn't segfaulting, it was very good. I blame that on the implementation not the 2.5GB protocol. I've been eyeing up the odroid-h3+ but I might just buy a 2.5GB nic (dual port, intel chipset) for one of my other systems instead.

Would you recommend waiting a bit for 10GB to come down in price?

I think 2.5GB is fast enough for most people since their systems can't saturate 10GB. I have nvme to help me do that. 10GB has been around for years and still expensive. I have old Emulex 10GB adapters from ebay that work but use a good amount of energy. I like my switch though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I bought this switch when I first got my Helios 64. It is linked to my primary switch via 10GB. Switch works very well.

That switch is interesting, especially for the number of ports and the price. It seems to have access, distribution and basic QOS capabilities, in the same box.

Are you using Cat5E or Cat6? While I'm exclusively Cat5E most of my runs are short, less that 40ft. I'm guessing, with short lengths, that Cat5E would work with 2.5GB. Anecdotal accounts say it should.

I don't get what's going on with 10GB. It's been out for a -l-o-n-g time without price drops that would make it more attractive to home users.

Have you bought anything 2.5GB or up in the used market? I found -> this nic to be kind of interesting.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you using Cat5E or Cat6?

My in-wall wiring is shielded 550MHz Cat6 and up to probably 100 ft long. Cables between my switches and servers in my server closet should all be cat6 patch cables.

I'm guessing, with short lengths, that Cat5E would work with 2.5GB. Anecdotal accounts say it should.

I would agree.

Have you bought anything 2.5GB or up in the used market? I found -> this nic to be kind of interesting.

All of my 10GB adapters are used. My primary server has a Solarflare SFC9020 dual port 10gbe adapter in it now. Using all cheap SFP+ cables

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just a little late to the party, but I use a ICY BOX IB-LAN300-PCI 2.5 GBit LAN card on a BIOSTAR B450NH miniITX Board in my Server with an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G + 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Debian Bullseye + OMV + pi-hole

My Main PC has 2.5 GBit LAN onboard (ASUS TUF Gaming B550M) with an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB DDR4-3600 and a 2 TB Lexar M.2 SSD (Gen 4).

Both are connected via a 5 port QNAP 2.5GBit Switch (QSW-1105-5T).

The server uses 3 4 TB SATA-SSDs as a RAID 5. Transfer rate is quiet at it's maximum with 280 MBytes/s.

Long story short: It works just fine.

• 2.5GB networks offer a noticeable improvement in network speed, which can be especially beneficial if you regularly transfer large files or stream high-definition content within your home network. The reliability and performance largely depend on the quality of the network equipment you choose and your specific network setup.In general, a 2.5GB network should be more than sufficient for most home users and is less prone to compatibility issues compared to 10GB networks.

• Nowadays we do have a lot to choose from - there is a good comparison at ServerTheHome web page. Both plain 2,5 or 2,5 with 10 GB devices. Currently I have only 3 devices with 2,5GB however, who knows maybe one day it will be a good time to switch the whole network to 2,5/10GB - one day…

P.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!