Access Denied for share

• I setup a mergerfs pool and shared it. Everything was working fine until, suddenly it was really not fine anymore.

At some point while trying to get Plex installed, I suddenly lost access to the share. I tried numerous things to fix it but permissions were completely broken. I could view the share but that was it.

I reinstalled OMV and recreated the share and, while I can make new files/folders and delete those, I can't change anything that currently exists. I tried installing File Browser and that can move/delete existing files but I can't find any way to give myself access to them. It took the better part of a week to copy files onto this share, I would rather install Windows and run a basic windows file share than to have to spend another week copying files.

Anyone have a clue how to gain access to these files again?

• 'Sounds like you may have some ownership and permissions problems.

You can ssh into the OMV server and use the chown and chmod commands to give you access, but if you are afraid of the CLI, I would suggest installing webmin (this has to be done via the CLI, but after the install you almost never have to touch the CLI again for most functions) and using it to correct the ownership and permissions, Instructions for the lot can be found at the following pages:

https://linux.die.net/man/1/chown

https://linux.die.net/man/1/chmod

https://www.webmin.com/udeb.html

• I couldn't get webmin to work. It expected to have user home folders and there are none for root.

I tried using resetperms plugin, only this time I went nuclear on permissions by giving everyone read/write access. That finally fixed my ability to access files. I would have preferred to have at least some restrictions based on users but I'll settle for simply having things work. This is no less secure than my existing windows shares.

I attempted to enabled home folders, so I could get webmin working but there was no such luck. I'm not even sure the home folders are working properly because I can't even login from Windows. It just automatically connects in guest mode and refuses to even prompt me for a login. When I disable guests, it gives errors saying I don't have permission again. I'm just going to give up on user permissions entirely at this point. It's not worth the headache.

• I couldn't get webmin to work. It expected to have user home folders and there are none for root.

You don't need user home folders enabled for webmin. root does have a home folder by default. If you ssh into your OMV and login as root, you land in the root home folder. You also need to log into webmin as root if you want full root admin rights so you can fix those permission things, change ownership, remove files and folders that may have issues, etc., without using a terminal ssh connection.

The root login is the underlying linux root user and has nothing to do with the OMV admin user or any other OMV created user.

Now, if you don't know your root login, that is a whole other issue.

• You're right. I logged in as root and it worked.

I don't need it at the moment, since I fixed the file access issues with reset permissions. However, it seems like it'll be a useful tool to have later on.

Currently, I'm trying to get Plex running in Yacht. I'm in the middle of copying over the 62 GB, 1 million file config folder. That's excluding the cache folder and log files.

• seems like it'll be a useful tool to have later on.

In addition to the file manager functions, I use webmin whenever I need to write a script, edit a config file, tweak a docker compose file, etc., due to the ease of copy/paste with the editor in the file manager and the colour coding for making the files more "readable". I will often have the script open in webmin and be connected via ssh with putty, so I can easily edit/save in webmin and run via ssh until I get the script doing what I need to do.

There are lots of other things exposed via webmin too, but for system configuration things, it is best to use OMV, as it manages it's own settings differently than the underlying linux. You can break thing easily if you mess with the wrong stuff.

• Offizieller Beitrag

tweak a docker compose file

Have you looked at the compose plugin? It does color coding as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!