wireguard plugin, server to server

• @chente

i read your guide here:

sorry for the daft Q, but how would i setup a connection between 2 servers so they can do sequre backup to each other?

• is it as simple as just create a tunnel and a client and let one of the servers be the client?

i do not want the servers to access the local network, they should only talk to each other

EDIT: do i just use the restrict option?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but how do i tell omv box 2 to connect to the first one?

There is no client part of the plugin. You will have to do that from command line.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

and the noop ask how to do that?

While I did write the plugin, I don't use wireguard and have only ever tried connecting to the server with an iOS app. You will have to look for a how to on the internet.

i might be "demanding" but would that not be part of a guide that says 2 servers can connect

It is quoting the wireguard site in that particular area while describing what wireguard is. Technically, when your phone connects to wireguard on OMV, your phone is a "server".

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• side note

when i tried to remove the tunnel on the client and clicked in the yellow box on top to make the changes take effect i got this error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; omv-salt deploy run --no-color wireguard 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian:

Summary for debian

-----------

Succeeded: 0

Failed: 0

-----------

Total states run: 0

Total run time: 0.000 ms

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; omv-salt deploy run --no-color wireguard 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian:

Summary for debian

-----------

Succeeded: 0

Failed: 0

-----------

Total states run: 0

Total run time: 0.000 ms in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/system/process.inc:217

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/engine/module/serviceabstract.inc(62): OMV\System\Process->execute()

#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(170): OMV\Engine\Module\ServiceAbstract->deploy()

#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChanges(Array, Array)

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(149): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)

#5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->OMV\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusEv...', '/tmp/bgoutput4o...')

#6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(159): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure))

#7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(192): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)

#8 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\Config->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)

#9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)

#11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)

#12 {main}

• Offizieller Beitrag

any chance that there will be a client section in the plugin for those that struggle... or is the demand not high enough

I'm not sure the demand was high enough for the plugin to begin with but Chente helped a lot with it. Since I do feel it would make the plugin a little more useful, I will look at your link and see if it fits the plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

when i tried to remove the tunnel on the client and clicked in the yellow box on top to make the changes take effect i got this error:

It seems like it doesn't like when no tunnels exist. I will look at that too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking another tab called Peers. This would allow the omv box to connect to multiple wireguard servers. Not sure if someone would ever connect to more than one or not though. A button to connect and disconnect would be available.

• sounds good to me, and by peers i automatic understand it as others to connect to, and since i can only connect to servers i would think of it as i'm a client that want to connect to these peers

and i would in this case assume to config the tunnel and then peers... or if tunnel is not needed then a short remark in peers about that

• Offizieller Beitrag

maybe I will break peers into a separate plugin. Most people won't need both on the same system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

any timeline for it?

Nope. Not the most exciting plugin to write especially since I will have to create some kind of wireguard setup (which I don't use now) to even test basic function.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I prefer to keep the plugin using just wireguard commands instead of external utilities that might not be plugin friendly.

• Yeah, I understand, just wanted to show that this exists, in case someone has interest in it. I use it and it works flawlessly to setup connections between servers. The Firewall can be configurated via ACLs online. I don't combine it with the OMV plugin though. Just by itself via cli.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!