Old NAS Upgrade

• So finally got the time and recourses to build a more robust home media storage/test server. Used older HW from my old gaming PC and OMV5 NAS PC, got some new HW mixed in and here is the final result. The Old NAS was running on a Intel Core i3-4330+8GB RAM+Gigabite mother board that was starting to breakdown.

My HDD are pooled together using MergerFS 4x6TB+2x2TB media/misc. data storage and 2x1TB SSD for large amounts of small files (dokuments,photos,ebooks, etc) and the NVMe Gen.3/4 drives im using for OS, VMs and Docker.

Think its not so bad for my second OMV budget build. Next up is a new CPU cooler as the one im using now is not performing as i would like. Noctua one or a AIO watercooler would be nice but they are pricy. Alsono need to get my hands on some newer GPU for video transcoding as the GT 240 i got in now is a peace suited for the museum not for transcoding. ^^

Im also thinking of upgrading the CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900X and 128GB of RAM but thats in the future as for now if im testing some stuff i get an average load of 60% CPU and RAM utilization. The biggest loads i get is if i start some gaming server when i want to play with friends as there is never enough performance in some games :S

Server Running OMV6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz

MB: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

PSU: Seasonic 550W

HDD: 4x 6TB + 2x 2TB

SSD: 2x 1TB

M.2: 1x 1TB, 1x 512GB, 1x240GB (PCIE M.2 add in card)

NIC: 2x 1Gbit LAN

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Docker:

Portainer

Gitea

Calibre-web

Komga

Transmission

Jellyfin

FMD

HomeAssistant (TBD)

FreshRSS

Pihole (TBD)

KVM (TestLab):

Ubuntu Server (Game server)

Ubuntu Server (Work and Testing)

Windows 10/11 Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clean wiring! The 5900x is a huge jump in performance over the 2700x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Looks pretty good. (almost like one of my cabling jobs.) :thumbup:

I built my system last year on a 5600G with 64GB RAM. I've been very pleased with the performance. (moved up from an old re-purposed i5-2320) I suspect you will be fairly pleased as time goes on too.

I'm running 20 to 30 dockers (varies a bit if I am playing around with some new ones), 2 win10 pro VM's and 2 ubuntu VM's for nextcloud and pihole. Averaging 40% to 60% CPU usage and 50% to 60% RAM usage all depending what is going on.

Still lots of room to spin up other VM's or dockers as required.

• Hi.

If I might be allowed a couple of suggestions based on my own experience.

1. For your next cpu use one with integrated graphics (like the 5700G). It frees the PCIe port where you keep your graphics card now and instead you can stick in a PCIe to NVMe adapter or a multi-port PCIe to SATA adapter.

2. For a system that you will stick somewhere around the house out of the way (if that is your case) stick to air cooling. You don't need the NH-D15 for this. There are coolers from Noctua that are more affordable and do a great job.

• Hi.

If I might be allowed a couple of suggestions based on my own experience.

1. For your next cpu use one with integrated graphics (like the 5700G). It frees the PCIe port where you keep your graphics card now and instead you can stick in a PCIe to NVMe adapter or a multi-port PCIe to SATA adapter.

2. For a system that you will stick somewhere around the house out of the way (if that is your case) stick to air cooling. You don't need the NH-D15 for this. There are coolers from Noctua that are more affordable and do a great job.

Thanks for the tips.

1. I'm planning to transcode 4K video with Jellyfin so don't know if the IGPU will bee a good match for the task. Besides i would rather have 4 more cores for the VM's than a IGPU as i will have a free GTX1060TI in a couple of months from my brother after he upgrades his gaming PC.

Besides my HDD cages are full, no more room for new ones the next upgrade will be from 6TB to 12TB drives and just copy the data over and swaping it

2. Yes i was pondering over this some time and in that time the CPU fan kicked the bucket so i got a cheap SilentiumPC Spartan 5 MAX slapped a noctua fan on it and its keeps the CPU under 50°C under moderate loads

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!