Upgrade from 5.x to 6.x failed. server still running but no OMV commands/GUI

• Updated OMV 4.x to 5.x using dliedert's guide and script here.

All went well. OMV running well for a couple of days.

So decided to upgrade the 5.x to 6.x.

I had two plugins (OMV-Exras and Flashmemory) which I uninstalled first.

Then I followed the Zoki guide here.

The command sudo omv-salt stage run deploy went ok with no failures.

The command sudo omv-upgrade went ok with no failures.

But the command sudo omv-release-upgrade failed with error:

I got round that problem using steps ryecoaaron suggested here. Essentially, I ran:

echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list

echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-*-security.list

sudo omv-salt deploy run apt

sudo apt-get update

...they completed without fail.

Then I ran sudo omv-upgrade which completed (I assume successfully) :

Then I ran sudo omv-release-upgrade which ran for a while BUT seems to end in failure to do with Python:

now, the OMV GUI is dead (403 Forbidden error on Nginx).

Now all the omv- command have all gone:

Code
    root@OMV:~# sudo omv-upgrade
    sudo: omv-upgrade: command not found
    root@OMV:~# sudo omv-release-upgrade
    sudo: omv-release-upgrade: command not found
    root@OMV:~# 

The servers are running and I can access my shares but not the OMV web page.

I have not rebooted the server yet but left it running as-is until further directions here.

What can I do to solve this problem ?

EDIT:

Current state is:

Code

Code
    root@OMV:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    iU  libopenmpt0:amd64                         0.4.11-1                            amd64        module music library based on OpenMPT -- shared library
    rc  openmediavault                            5.6.26-1                            all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring                    1.0                                 all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    root@OMV:~# 

Looks like OMV is currently at 5.6.26

Can this system be salvaged ?

HP Microserver N40L; OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von macnb ()

• python-pip

You had packages installed via pip.

Your system is completely borked.

Then I followed the Zoki guide here.

Then you should have a backup of the OS drive before upgrading, correct?
    The link you posted is pointing to here, but if I remember well, the first instruction was to make a backup in case something went wrong.

If you don't have a backup to revert to and start over, uninstalling pip packages and whatnot, then it's time to do a fresh install.

Sorry for the news.

• You had packages installed via pip.

Your system is completely borked.

Then you should have a backup of the OS drive before upgrading, correct?
    The link you posted is pointing to here, but if I remember well, the first instruction was to make a backup in case something went wrong.

If you don't have a backup to revert to and start over, uninstalling pip packages and whatnot, then it's time to do a fresh install.

Sorry for the news.

Thx for the sad news.

Nope I did not back up :(

I don't even know what Python PIP is or how it got installed :/

Can it be uninstalled or is that going to useless too ?

• Can it be uninstalled or is that going to useless too ?

It will take you less time to start fresh.

Make a copy of /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and save it outside your server.

You can't just reuse it on a new installation but it will give you all info on what was done.

Take note on the sequence of users you have on the system just to know that user ID 1000 = this, user ID 1001 = that, etc

Only users =>1000 are important to know.

Power down and remove all drives except the one for the OS.

Install Debian11/OMV6 and configure it.

Create users on the GUI in the same order you had before: first create user 1000, then user 1001 and so on.

Power down and plug back your drives.

Mount them (NOT CREATE) on the GUI.

Recreate the shares and services you had previous (you can see on the config.xml what they were)

• Create users on the GUI in the same order you had before: first create user 1000, then user 1001 and so on.

Power down and plug back your drives.

Mount them (NOT CREATE) on the GUI.

Recreate the shares and services you had previous (you can see on the config.xml what they were)

Thx for the tips.

When you say "Install Debian11/OMV6" do you mean start with the OMV ISO, put it onto a USB and boot of it to install from scratch?

Or do you mean install Debian11 on the current running system (via SSH) and then manually install OMV (via command line) ?

Can I do this headless while I still have a working Debian (otherwise I'll have to dig out a VGA monitor from the attic for this HP Microserver) ?

• Can I do this headless while I still have a working Debian (otherwise I'll have to dig out a VGA monitor from the attic for this HP Microserver) ?

I'm afraid you'll have to do it locally until Debian or OMV is running and you have SSH access.

I don't know nothing about micro server and heard iLO but have no idea if you have or know about it.

You can use either the OMV ISO or the Debian net-install.

It's up to you.

Both are covered in the docs.omv or the guides section.

• You can try to run sudo apt install -f openmediavault but no guarantees that will work.

• You can try to run sudo apt install -f openmediavault but no guarantees that will work.

I tried that. No joy.

I did do a sudo apt --fix-broken install first

Looks like it wants Debian 11 first

• Your sources were changed to bullseye but your OMV shows rc OMV5 on post #1 (removed, configs exist) which requires buster.

The system is in a messed state as you can see.

Delaying a fresh install is waisting time.

Too many variables to fix it.

• Your sources were changed to bullseye but your OMV shows rc OMV5 on post #1 (removed, configs exist) which requires buster.

The system is in a messed state as you can see.

Delaying a fresh install is waisting time.

Too many variables to fix it.

You are of course quite right.

Off to the attic I go and get the old vga monitor out and do a clean install.

Many thanks for your help

• macnb I've only just seen this thread and maybe I'm too late to tell that it should be possible to create a custom omv iso that will allow you to do a fresh install headless over ssh without the need to attach keyboard and monitor to your HP 40L.

Basically, you unpack the iso edit the pressed.cfg file to load the debian installer network-console which halts the install and allows a remote ssh connection to installer@<ip given by dhcp> and with the password you placed in the pressed.cfg file. After editing the pressed.cfg file you repack the customised iso.

I can give more details if it's of interest.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it is fairly universal how you are doing it, maybe Volker would be interested in making it a normal change.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• macnb I've only just seen this thread and maybe I'm too late to tell that it should be possible to create a custom omv iso that will allow you to do a fresh install headless over ssh without the need to attach keyboard and monitor to your HP 40L.

Basically, you unpack the iso edit the pressed.cfg file to load the debian installer network-console which halts the install and allows a remote ssh connection to installer@<ip given by dhcp> and with the password you placed in the pressed.cfg file. After editing the pressed.cfg file you repack the customised iso.

Many thanks Krisbee

Good to know in future :thumbup:

You are right....I just saw your suggestion after I did a clean install otherwise I would have definitely tried it...once a tweaker..always a tweaker :P

I have installed OMV 6.0x. It did not take long.

what's taking long is mapping my shared drives and services.

I have the old config.xml for reference but it did not help much.

e.g. it has reference to drive mounts as /srv/dev-disk-by-label-drive1/drive1 which is friendly but now with OMV 6.x it has /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-05d3d195-ee50-4067-afe4-071f7b3f2345/drive1 which uses UUID...not so friendly.

Maybe it's because I did not CREATE the filesystem on the data drives but just mounted them like Soma suggested

But I have now managed to get all my shares mapped now.

except.....NETATALK AFP which is no longer supported as a plugin.

All my Macs use AFP instead of SMB...it's almost 75% on AFP than SMB even though Apple have switched to SMB ?(

May be they just don't know how to do sMB on macOS (not-invented-here syndrome :/ )

On the OMV home page may be they should remove references to AFP as service since it is not OOB as it's not listed as a service on the OMV GUI like NFS, SMB, SSH, etc :/

Anyway, whinge over and so about to install netatalk manually using apt install netatalk command.

I have a saved version of afp.conf file but again, I have to modify all the references to /srv/dev-disk-by-label-drivexxxx.... to the new format. Ah well.

Again thanks for your tip.

• Offizieller Beitrag

May be they just don't know how to do sMB on macOS

Apple owns Samba.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

but they can't improve it over AFP. It's just the inherent protocol that does not help with speed sadly

I admit afp has less overhead but samba is more than able to saturate 10GBe. I'm sure if someone had enough time, they could tune samba with all the damn fruit variables to get it on par with afp. I always used nfs (less overhead than afp) on my Mac when it ran OSX but I didn't use timemachine. never had an issue with speed - it would saturate gigabit.

• I admit afp has less overhead but samba is more than able to saturate 10GBe. I'm sure if someone had enough time, they could tune samba with all the damn fruit variables to get it on par with afp. I always used nfs (less overhead than afp) on my Mac when it ran OSX but I didn't use timemachine. never had an issue with speed - it would saturate gigabit.

I too use NFS and my 1gbs home LAN it's a little faster than AFP. But AFP is easier to use on the Mac.

Good simple article here on each protocol.

Each has it's merits/uses.

BTW, not sure that you mean by "Apple owns Samba" but they did not invent SMB/CIFS nor develop it as much as Intel & Microsoft (originally IBM).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Good simple article here on each protocol.

I know smb and nfs very well. I have run servers for both for 20 years and deal with both extensively at work.

BTW, not sure that you mean by "Apple owns Samba" but they did not invent SMB/CIFS nor develop it as much as Intel & Microsoft (originally IBM).

Andrew Tridgell founded the Samba server which implemented the SMB/CIFS protocol developed by IBM, Microsoft, and others. This org was purchased by Apple to improve samba on mac os x server. Probably so they could have Andrew and Jeremy Allison on payroll. So, Apple owns Samba not smb protocol.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!