NUT plugin: Monitoring SSL Alert and questions about the UPS graph

• Earlier today I was out of the house and returned to find that there had been some power outage in my absence: the stove clock was blinking and my Server had turned itself off. I have email alerts setup but I didn't get any emails until I turned my server back on presumably because the router lost power before the server did.

These are my UPS config settings and the model is CyberPower SX550G:

Code
    driver = usbhid-ups
    port = auto
    pollinterval = 15

I can only hope my server turned itself off safely since I was not there and I got these messages upon reboot:

This is the graph of my UPS power draw so it seems 50 second was a fine enough time for the battery life

I know that in the BIOS there is the option to "Restore on AC/Power Loss" but I wanted to ask how would that interact with a UPS that still has battery? Would the server just keep thinking Power has been restored and constantly loop?

• savathuntechquestion

Changed the title of the thread from “NUT plugin: Monitroing SSL Alert and questions about the UPS graph” to “NUT plugin: Monitoring SSL Alert and questions about the UPS graph”.
  • My experience is with apcupsd running on my router, not nut.

The way it works is that during a power failure and after a certain amount of time running on battery, apcupsd sends a Halt - /sbin/shutdown -h now command to the server over the network. This happens before the battery is completely drained.

The other choice which I have not tried is Power off - /sbin/shutdown -p.

However, when power is restored, the server does not come back on even though the BIOS is set to do so because it was cleanly shut down, not suddenly cut off from power. I have to power it on myself via a WOL command. I am going to look into coming up with a way of having apcupsd send that WOL command when power is restored.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 6.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I didn't get any emails until I turned my server back on presumably because the router lost power before the server did.

To prevent this, feed your ISP router from the UPS.

Even on power failure, you still have internet. The power it needs doesn't drain much.

As for not coming back on, some UPS don't do "power cycle" which is required to bring the PC on when power line is restored.

Or, as gderf said, use WOL from another device to wake the server again.

• Unfortunately my router is the company provider router for fiber so that limits what I can install on it, and it is in the basement far away from the server. I'd rather explore other options before buying a 2nd UPS just for that router.

I didn't realize that the BIOS option would not work because UPS shutdown is different than a sudden cutoff. I will investigate Wake Over Lan then, and investigate what options I there are to remote into a local device on the LAN as my server.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!