Laptop as replacement for Pi4B for OMV5

• Hi all

Currently have a Pi4B running OMV5 with Containers for duplicati, nginx and Portainer. 1 USB hard drive.

Primary use of the system is for duplicati backups of LAN network PCs to the external drive, and for a php script to be run as a scheduled task every 20 minutes ( processes data and ftp uploads to an online ftp server )

Currently all working perfectly.

My concern is the severe increase of power cuts in our local power grid, increased lightening storms as summer is here ( southern hemisphere ) and the potential risk that the Pi could be affected.

Pi prices have increased, and most suppliers in our country have no stock.

Can I use an old Laptop to run OMV ?
    What's the procedure - do I download the OMV image to a flash drive / CD and make that bootable ?

Would the version of Debian in the OMV image have support for the laptop hardware ( audio / video / network, etc ) ?

I can pick up a used netbook or laptop at a decent price at the local stores, but want to make sure it will work before spending cash.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I use an old Laptop to run OMV ?

Yes

What's the procedure - do I download the OMV image to a flash drive / CD and make that bootable ?

Just like any other installation on amn64

Installation — openmediavault 6.x.y documentation

Would the version of Debian in the OMV image have support for the laptop hardware ( audio / video / network, etc ) ?

Most likely yes, unless it is cutting edge hardware.

Note that the current version of OMV is OMV6 (based on Debian 11)

Alternative would be an UPS that is providing power to the RPi until it gracefully shut down.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!