openmediavault-nut 6.0.1-1 failing after update from openmediavault all 6.1.1-1 to openmediavault all 6.1.2-1

• I was running OMV 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan) with Nut plugin openmediavault-nut 6.0.1-1.

This morning, I went to apply updates and after a reboot the nut plugin stopped working.

I received this email from the system:

Host: pinas

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 07:32:18

Service: nut-monitor

Event: Execution failed

Description: failed to start (exit status 4) -- '/bin/systemctl start nut-monitor': Failed to start nut-monitor.service: Transaction for nut-monitor.service/start is destructive (systemd-sysctl.service has 'stop' job queued, but 'start' is included in transaction).

See system logs and 'systemctl status nut-monitor.service' for details.

and

Host: pinas

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 07:32:17

Service: nut-monitor

Event: Does not exist

Description: process is not running

This triggered the monitoring system to: restart

I then SSH'd into the OMV system and ran:

admin@pinas:~$ sudo upsd apc-server@192.168.73.28

upsd disabled, please adjust the configuration to your needs

Then set MODE to a suitable value in /etc/nut/nut.conf to enable it

Things I tried to get it to resolve:

• Disabling the nut service, rebooting, re-enabling the nut service.
    • Uninstalling the nut plugin, rebooting, reinstalling the nut plugin, reconfiguring it.
    • Multiple reboots.

These steps still resulted in the above emails and upsd messages.

I then used DD with a LiveBoot and DD (backup image was 13 days old thank goodness) to restore my system back to a working state.

When the system was in a "bad" state after the updates (and reboot) I did a status on a few of these services:

admin@pinas:/etc/nut$ sudo systemctl status nut-monitor

● nut-monitor.service - Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-12-23 07:43:27 CST; 2min 37s ago

Main PID: 10235 (upsmon)

Tasks: 2 (limit: 8982)

CPU: 27ms

CGroup: /system.slice/nut-monitor.service

├─10234 /lib/nut/upsmon

└─10235 /lib/nut/upsmon

admin@pinas:/etc/nut$ sudo systemctl status nut-client

● nut-monitor.service - Network UPS Tools - power device monitor and shutdown controller

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nut-monitor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: active (running) since Fri 2022-12-23 07:43:27 CST; 2min 56s ago

Main PID: 10235 (upsmon)

Tasks: 2 (limit: 8982)

CPU: 28ms

CGroup: /system.slice/nut-monitor.service

├─10234 /lib/nut/upsmon

└─10235 /lib/nut/upsmon

These were the upgrades that I applied right before the problem happened:

The following packages will be upgraded:

containerd.io libksba8 openmediavault

shaitan/main arm64 openmediavault all 6.1.2-1 [2610 kB]

bullseye/stable arm64 containerd.io arm64 1.6.14-1 [19.9 MB]

bullseye-security/main arm64 libksba8 arm64 1.5.0-3+deb11u2 [115 kB]

Looking at details on the packages my guess is that openmediavault 6.1.2-1 would be the source of the break with the plugin.

Here was my system info prior to update:

how-to/nut.md at master · seanwo/how-to
    Contribute to seanwo/how-to development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

System Information

Hostname: pinas

Version: 6.1.1-1 (Shaitan)

Processor: BCM2835

Kernel: Linux 5.15.32-v8

Here are my OVM UPS settings for Nut:

Enabled

Mode: Netclient

Identifier: apc-server

Comment:

Netclient hostname: 192.168.73.28

Netclient user name: admin

Netclient password: <redacted>

Powervalue: 1

Shutdown mode: UPS reaches low battery

I have the following omv environment variable set (my nut server is responsible for UPS shutdown so the client have this set):

sudo omv-env set -- OMV_UPSMON_POWERDOWNFLAG "/dev/null"

sudo omv-salt stage run prepare

sudo omv-salt stage run deploy

Is anyone else running a Nut netclient having issues with the latest OMV build?

• After applying updates in a different order via CLI instead of the GUI I am back to normal.

In case this is interesting to anyone...

Brought the system backup to a working state via a DD image backup.

OMV then applied these 2 security packages automatically:

firefox-esr

libksba8

I put the openmediavault package on apt-mark hold manually.

I then ran omv-upgrade from the CLI to update these packages that were out of date since the last backup:

bullseye-security/main arm64 firefox-esr arm64 102.6.0esr-1~deb11u1 [54.8 MB]

bullseye/main arm64 base-files arm64 11.1+deb11u6 [70.1 kB]

bullseye/stable arm64 containerd.io arm64 1.6.14-1 [19.9 MB]

bullseye/main arm64 libtasn1-6 arm64 4.16.0-2+deb11u1 [53.3 kB]

bullseye/main arm64 tzdata all 2021a-1+deb11u8 [284 kB]

bullseye/main arm64 distro-info-data all 0.51+deb11u3 [7812 B]

bullseye/main arm64 libbluray2 arm64 1:1.2.1-4+deb11u2 [126 kB]

bullseye/main arm64 postfix arm64 3.5.17-0+deb11u1 [1503 kB]

shaitan/main arm64 openmediavault all 6.1.2-1 [2610 kB]

bullseye-security/main arm64 libksba8 arm64 1.5.0-3+deb11u2 [115 kB]

bullseye/stable arm64 docker-ce-cli arm64 5:20.10.22~3-0~debian-bullseye [37.2 MB]

bullseye/stable arm64 docker-ce arm64 5:20.10.22~3-0~debian-bullseye [12.7 MB]

bullseye/stable arm64 docker-compose-plugin arm64 2.14.1~debian-bullseye [8186 kB]

Everything was still working fine after reboots so I then took the openmediavault package off apt-mark hold and ran omv-upgrade from the CLI again.

After updates and reboots it is all working properly now.

My only guess is either a package update dependency order issue or a corrupted package update via the GUI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

firefox-esr

And this is why we tell people not to install desktop environments on OMV. No reason to install firefox on OMV. There are plenty of good docker containers if you need to remote into your OMV system to run firefox or just use a VM.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• And this is why we tell people not to install desktop environments on OMV. No reason to install firefox on OMV. There are plenty of good docker containers if you need to remote into your OMV system to run firefox or just use a VM.

I am simply using the interceptor AXZEZ Raspberry Pi base image they provide. When I Said GUI, I was referring to the OMV web interface for updating packages. I don't actually use the HDMI GUI. I have seen it and it does have a firefox browser which must be why that package is included. I just either use the WEB Interface or ssh to manage this system (my NAS). I am not sure I get what I did wrong here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am simply using the interceptor AXZEZ Raspberry Pi base image they provide. When I Said GUI, I was referring to the OMV web interface for updating packages. I don't actually use the HDMI GUI. I have seen it and it does have a firefox browser which must be why that package is included. I just either use the WEB Interface or ssh to manage this system (my NAS). I am not sure I get what I did wrong here.

I understand you didn't install it. I'm just stating that desktop packages can cause problems. When a system has a gui installed (even as minimal as the Axzez image), it is a significantly larger number of packages to upgrade. This increases the chances of upgrades having an issue. Since the OMV web interface just runs apt-get dist-upgrade in unattended fashion, it can't prompt you for better options that could prevent a bad upgrade like the command line can offer. You can remove the firefox and other unneeded desktop packages.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!