How to bind WEBUI to specific network interface

• I've been on the configuration management team (we use puppet mainly with some ansible) at work for seven years and don't need this. What is in configuration management is supposed to be the source of truth. Not changing something because it has been manually changed is exactly what configuration management was meant to fix.

you do understand that Pipper/Chef is totally different use case scenario than here?

In the beggining I only pointed out that there's a problem. If the GUI doesn't allow me to do something and I need to handle this by my own, it would be great if the GUI at least would warned me - remind me that I did modify this manually.

If the current behavior does not fit your requirements please choose a different solution that fits better.

then let me know how can I handle this.

I need a way of either - get info from the gui that the configuration file has been altered and if I'm willing to overwrite or, let me manually set some env variablable whatever, to disable that part of the gui or disable at least the option of the "save/apply" button in the gui for that config file.

• I am confused. When you change an OMV env var, there shouldn't be any problem. The setting is not gonna be overwritten by OMV. Only if you manually edit config files this can happen. Right?

I think I did explain it earlier but let me do this one more time.

I had to manually modify some values in the system because OMV doesn't have proper fields for this. This is today, say that in the next year I may need to change something and I may forget that I did that. I'd like omv to tell me this. Either by checking md5sum of that file that it has been altered outside of omv or by allowing me to instruct omv that this config file has been altered by me and there should be no possibility to edit it from the gui anymore. Either option is fine for me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think I did explain it earlier but let me do this one more time.

I had to manually modify some values in the system because OMV doesn't have proper fields for this. This is today, say that in the next year I may need to change something and I may forget that I did that. I'd like omv to tell me this. Either by checking md5sum of that file that it has been altered outside of omv or by allowing me to instruct omv that this config file has been altered by me and there should be no possibility to edit it from the gui anymore. Either option is fine for me.

This workflow is so far from the concept used in OMV. Don't expect that this will be implemented ever. Document your changes somewhere and you are fine.

• I think I did explain it earlier but let me do this one more time.

At the end of the day omv is just a tool like a car. And it obviously doesn’t fit your needs. Let’s say omv is a Smart. You would not ask a car company to change their Smart so you can transport 40 tons of stuff with it.

• At the end of the day omv is just a tool like a car. And it obviously doesn’t fit your needs. Let’s say omv is a Smart. You would not ask a car company to change their Smart so you can transport 40 tons of stuff with it.

nope, right now omv for me is like Apple closed ecosystem. And clearly here, everybody is screaming me out so I should not use this software.

The only problem is that there's not much choice on the market. I already mentioned TrueNas is not an option as in not power friendly it's wasting energy which I've been able to confirm and there are lots of comments on their forum and they're not willing to fix this.

So some users are going here, because this is the second option, but it's limited and ... that's fine nobody expect it to be perfect. Yet throwing away users from the software is something new.

This workflow is so far from the concept used in OMV. Don't expect that this will be implemented ever. Document your changes somewhere and you are fine.

well right now in the networking section, there's option to specify vlan id, but there's no option to set custom mac address. Which obviously can cause problems for the end user. So once he set vlan id in the network he will be most likely forced to go to the command line to set custom mac if he will create more vlans on that card which gui allows but it doesn't allow to specify mac address.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not sure witch config file you want to modify so this might not apply. I will use smb.conf for this example.
    Create a directorymkdir /etc/samba/smb.conf.d

Create a new config file with the settings you want. nano /etc/samba/smb.conf.d/new.conf

In samba "extra options" add include = /etc/samba/smb.conf.d/new.conf

Now OMV wont change your settings in new.conf.

I think this would work for any setting that has extra options but not sure. I know it works for samba. So the only thing needed would be an "extra options" box that is on many pages. If you break it you bought it. LOL

• Offizieller Beitrag

well right now in the networking section, there's option to specify vlan id, but there's no option to set custom mac address.

If done a reaseach which software is supporting that and i found .... none. TrueNAS, Unraid, OPNsense, pfSense, all do not support that. Seems not really that common requirement. So why should OMV support it? Maybe you are doing something wrong in your setup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

nope, right now omv for me is like Apple closed ecosystem. And clearly here, everybody is screaming me out so I should not use this software.

Nobody is screaming at you...

Putting aside what you're asking seems almost borderline ridiculous.. After being told this feature will not be implemented under any circumstances, you then asked the dev "how to implement it"..

Zitat

then let me know how can I handle this.

Now, if he's going to tell you that... he's going to have to put in the work to figure it out, make sure it doesn't brick the rest of the OS, then explain to you how to do it, then you can bet almost 100% an update in the future will break what he's told you.. and then what are you going to do? You're going to be messaging him for help. It would be absolutely absurd to expect votdev or ryecoaaron to provide that level of individual support.

The problem I see, is you were given an answer in post #20... you just don't like it so you're trying to keep after it.

If the current behavior does not fit your requirements please choose a different solution that fits better.

• donh thank you very much for this, this is of course good workaround!

SMB is of course one of the things, second is actually netplan need to check this.

If I was in your situation I would probably just use plain Debian and config all the services by hand

true, I'm right now considering getting rid of omv totally and move to proxmox and then do this different way around.

Maybe you are doing something wrong in your setup?

so, you're saying that it's m y fault that I'm doing what system allows me to do?

Well omv allows me to specify a vlan id. so example I have once nic, I'd like configure 3 vlans on it, which means right now all 3 vlans will have same id. How do you think a dhcp server will behave?

The problem I see, is you were given an answer in post #20... you just don't like it so you're trying to keep after it.

no saying "if it doesn't work for you don't use it" is not a solution and come on, you're a moderator, why do you offtop?

• I don't know if proxmox will do what you want or not. You could have as many virtual nics as you want. There is also the supported option to install OpenVswitch on proxmox. OVS is a very powerful network virtual switch.

nah, it's just that I grow up and it seems OMV is limiting me very much. It's great that kvm and yacht has been added but well. The idea is to install proxmox and then run everything inside either VM/Docker.

I don't need OpenVSwitch it's just that I need my NAS to be visible in different VLANS without playing with port forwarding using firewall. Cause then it's problematic sooner or later. So right now there's option in OMV to specify VLAN ID but there's no option to specify MAC for that which is very odd as it's kind of must have for this when you want to do this over one NIC which of course OMV allows to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

donh

no saying "if it doesn't work for you don't use it" is not a solution and come on, you're a moderator, why do you offtop?

Mod or not, you just have to read this. He told you if OMV is not a solution for you, you need to use something else. This is common sense. Then your proceeded to ask him how to implement what you're wanting to do.

If he was going to explain it to you, which I'm sure would be a significant hassle, he'd just implement the feature.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I see this thread went downhill while I was on vacation.

you do understand that Pipper/Chef is totally different use case scenario than here?

In the beggining I only pointed out that there's a problem. If the GUI doesn't allow me to do something and I need to handle this by my own, it would be great if the GUI at least would warned me - remind me that I did modify this manually.

I understand the scenario quite well since I work on both. And no, it actually isn't a different use case. OMV is just a basic frontend for configuration management. It doesn't know if the config is changed since it isn't modifying it. All it does is mark a module dirty and the ask the configuration management to execute on that module. The only way to know that something has been potentially modified is to run a noop run which, as I mentioned before, does not show all cases of changes and would be really slow.

right now omv for me is like Apple closed ecosystem.

How? Every part of OMV is open source and you are free to submit PRs any time.

And clearly here, everybody is screaming me out so I should not use this software.

I have not seen anyone screaming. I see you asking for something that is not supported, workarounds suggested, and you being unhappy with the ultra tiny OMV developer people not wanted to make substantially changes for seemingly one person asking for those changes. Sorry but our time is volunteered and limited.

et throwing away users from the software is something new.

Not wanting to put hundreds of hours into changes is throwing users away? Sorry again that I won't spend my time on this to basically only help you.

• How? Every part of OMV is open source and you are free to submit PRs any time.

Now I can reply to your post. The answer is in this post:

Long story short. I'll need to modify OMV just to handle a situation where I'm setting up my network in a custom way because officially there's no way from OMV to not break the network configuration.

• If done a reaseach which software is supporting that and i found .... none. TrueNAS, Unraid, OPNsense, pfSense, all do not support that.

that's not true, here's a documentation of TrueNAS:

7. Network — TrueNAS®11.3-U2 User Guide Table of Contents

Zitat

You can read there describe of the "Options" attribute:

Additional parameters from ifconfig(8). Separate multiple parameters with a space. For example: mtu 9000 increases the MTU for interfaces which support jumbo frames. See this note about MTU and lagg interfaces.

So yes, it's possible to do everything ifconfig allows.

Opnsense has some problems with mac addresses but it also supports metrics as can be seen on this sshot:

https://forums.unraid.net/uploads/monthly_2021_08/251765506_2021-08-1108_42_22-unraid_NetworkSettingsand21morepages-Personal-MicrosoftEdge.png.3547b122717951abe72a2cc2a7f0e342.png

unraid docs are messy so it's hard to get any info from there.

pfsense is also a bit hard to get any info but it seems it's possible because it does support virtual interfaces:

Interface Types and Configuration | pfSense Documentation

Zitat

Interface assignments and the creation of new virtual interfaces are all handled under Interfaces > Assignments.

But if you mentioned pfsense opnsense then we can also check OpenWRT and here's the sshot of Virtual interface config.

I can easily set custom mac, custom metrics. In OMV there's no Virtual interface but instead Vlan is what does the job and this is how it's done in netplan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Long story short. I'll need to modify OMV just to handle a situation where I'm setting up my network in a custom way because officially there's no way from OMV to not break the network configuration.

Not really. If you don't configure any network adapters in the OMV web interface, you can create any netplan files you want and OMV without openmediavault in the name and OMV will not alter these files.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!