Is this what I want

• Hi all,

I am wanting to do the following, and would like to know if the experts here can tell me if this is all possible with the openmediavault system;

* Have all my MP3's available to be played anywhere around the world, via an app on iphone, computers or other devices, all served from home?

* Backup windows and Mac computers regularly to the server

* Have a place for household members to save their files, and possibly have password protection on those folders

* Have all the above backed up just to make sure nothing gets lost

I have an old Dell PowerEdge T320 which has 6 hard drives installed (5 x 500gb, 1 x 2tb). Considering getting another smaller drive for the openmediavault OS install. I guess I need to know if all the above is possible (and easy enough to do), and can I do all of it with the equipment listed above. I think best thing would be to have a smaller drive for the OS, then use some of the other drives for media, files etc, and the other drives for the backups? In a RAID? Thoughts on type of RAID?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

• Offizieller Beitrag

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP! If it's important to you remember the adage "One is none, 2 is one". I'm not a fan of RAID and do not use it, but I think to many new users are lulled into complacency thinking it is a backup.

As for accessing your mp3's.. That's fairly simple... setup a free domain (or buy one if you want).. install airsonic in docker.. and then install the subsonic app on your devices (I assume it is availalbe for iPhone... I have it on Android).

• Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to setup OMV on a dell Poweredge T320. I have all SATA drives and seem to be having issues getting it to run.

Managed to install on the drive and do the required updates, but when I restart the computer, it can't find anything to boot from. Keeps trying to boot from C:

Am I missing something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Noting that you have 6 hard drives installed:
    If you're trying to boot from a drive connected to an HBA (not the motherboard), in most cases, it won't work.

You might try installing OMV to a USB thumbdrive (at least 8GB), and setting your BIOS boot order to USB first.

• Noting that you have 6 hard drives installed:
    If you're trying to boot from a drive connected to an HBA (not the motherboard), in most cases, it won't work.

You might try installing OMV to a USB thumbdrive (at least 8GB), and setting your BIOS boot order to USB first.

I did install from the USB first, in order to install onto the hard drive.

All 6 drives are connected in the hot swap bays. Why would this not work?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did install from the USB first, in order to install onto the hard drive.

He's saying use a USB flash drive for your OS drive...

• I did install from the USB first, in order to install onto the hard drive.

I am not sure if you got it right. You can install OMV on a pendrive at least 8GB capacity and run OMV from it. If this would be what you choose to do, remember to install openmediavault-flashmemory. Otherwise you will kill the flashdrive.

KM0201 is not wrong about RAID not beeing a backup. RAID 5 is fault tolerant (n-1 - one drive can die and the data is "safe"); RAID6 is more fault tolerant n-2 - two disks can die and the data is still available. There is still that ugly "but...". RAID is still a pain in the ass to recover data from it. When something goes terribly wrong, like file system get corrupted, accidental sync with not zeroed disk when upgrading array, etc... Personally I use RAID5 since the very beginning of OMV and NEVER got any problems. Unlike my fancy QNAP RAID array that has broken because of not genuine WD disk still waiting since 2019 for a miracle. Well, that for sure taught me a lesson.

I thing with this config save solution would be RAID5 (5x500 in RAID5 =2000) and sync it with that single 2000 once in a while. You would have to configure RAID5 and JBOD for the 2TB single disk on that controller. BTRFS can be useful here. I use it on all my systems and data takes noticeable less space. You can even make w script that copy data from RAID 5 to that single disk at night and have versions of those files.

REMEMBER to check the disks before using it.

And one more thing - use an UPS. I buy used and replace battery/batteries, so this is quite cheep solution. Connect its data interface to the server and configure NUT plugin in OMV to safely shutdown your server when the power goes out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because those 6 drives are, most likely, connected to a HBA (Host bus adapter - usually a RAID card). Typically, BIOS looks for bootable drives at SATA/SAS ports that are on the motherboard, not an add-on card.

A workable option is to build OMV on an 8GB thumbdrive. Try it.
    BTW: Cezi_86 is right about the flashmemory plugin. You'll need to install OMV Extras and the flashmemory plugin, to use a thumbdrive as a boot drive. Once OMV is up an running, here's a -> guide for doing that.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!