Raid1 is missing

• Hi, my OMV 4.19 installation is running for a couple of years without problems. Today I went on a folder without success . In the Webinterface the SMART of my 3 Drives is okay, but my RAID is gone.

Typing blkid:

Code
    /dev/sda: UUID="5db919af-7b45-760d-319b-07d4460e161c" UUID_SUB="e9a1224e-69c3-fcf1-65c5-2098fc490d84" LABEL="openmediavault:Raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"                                                        
    /dev/sdc: UUID="5db919af-7b45-760d-319b-07d4460e161c" UUID_SUB="8d2aec66-2cf1-8cf8-0736-ad7f13bddad7" LABEL="openmediavault:Raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"                                                        
    /dev/sdb: UUID="5db919af-7b45-760d-319b-07d4460e161c" UUID_SUB="ec96e694-dbb9-7aca-5213-d7a04781eaa8" LABEL="openmediavault:Raid1" TYPE="linux_raid_member"                                                        
    /dev/sdd1: UUID="dbe1a16f-827a-4a70-b466-57e4078aeb90" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9e15d0b3-01"                                                                                                                          
    /dev/sdd5: UUID="57e804e1-9394-4671-8a61-320d1260754d" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="9e15d0b3-05"                                                                                                                          

cat proc/mdstat

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat proc/mdstat                                                                                                                                                                             
    cat: proc/mdstat: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                                                        
    root@openmediavault:~#                                                                                                                                                                                             

Has anyone a Idea what to do?

• manne_sahne

Hat den Titel des Themas von „Raid is missing“ zu „Raid1 is missing“ geändert.
  • manne_sahne

Hat das Label OMV 4.x hinzugefügt.
  • Oh, I forgot the /

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /proc/mdstat                                                                                                                                                                            Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]                                                                                                                              md0 : inactive sdb[1](S) sda[0](S) sdc[2](S)                                                                                                                                                                             8790406536 blocks super 1.2                                                                                                                                                                                  unused devices: <none>                                                                                                                                                                                             
  • I don't know exactly what I did or thought, years ago. :/ Could it be Raid 1E?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could it be Raid 1E

Possibly but that option is not available in OMV's GUI, you must have completed that in the cli

but to get it back up, as it's inactive;

mdadm --stop /dev/md0

mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sd[abc]

• ?(

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md0 /dev/sd[abc]                                                                                                                                    
    mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0                                                                                                                                                                            
    mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sd[abc]mdadm: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                             
    mdadm: /dev/sd[abc]mdadm has no superblock - assembly aborted                                                                                                                                                      
    root@openmediavault:~#                                                                                                                                                                                             
    • Offizieller Beitrag

What do you mean? The SMART status of the drives says "good"

Nothing to do with SMART for some reason it's missing the superblock/raid signature and the fact that mdadm --detail returned "does not appear to be an mdadm device" on each of the drives confirms that

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a chance to fix that

No, not with it showing on all three drives, you could try testdisk and see if it's possible to recover data, but that's all you could try

EDIT: you could try a reboot from the GUI, but if it's still the same you're back to trying testdisk

• Is there a chance to fix it with the backup superblocks of each single drive?

I've tryed this:

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# sudo mke2fs -n /dev/sda                                                                                                                                                                     
    mke2fs 1.44.5 (15-Dec-2018)                                                                                                                                                                                        
    /dev/sda contains a linux_raid_member file system labelled 'openmediavault:Raid1'                                                                                                                                  
    Proceed anyway? (y,N) n                                                                                                                                                                                            
    Creating filesystem with 732566646 4k blocks and 183148544 inodes                                                                                                                                                  
    Filesystem UUID: 790f8f2c-0134-4549-9564-c4edf3dfd2b1                                                                                                                                                              
    Superblock backups stored on blocks:                                                                                                                                                                               
            32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,                                                                                                                                    
            4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872, 71663616, 78675968,                                                                                                                                        
            102400000, 214990848, 512000000, 550731776, 644972544                                                                                                                                            

As i read, the -n attribute tells the mke2fs to not create a filesystem, even though the output says the opposite..

I've also tried that with /dev/md0:

Code
    mke2fs: Device size reported to be zero.  Invalid partition specified, or                                                                                                                                                  partition table wasn't reread after running fdisk, due to                                                                                                                                                          a modified partition being busy and in use.  You may need to reboot                                                                                                                                                to re-read your partition table.                                                                                                                                                                           
  • You need to use fsck if the file system was ext4

I don't understand what you mean,

mk2fs works with ext4, isn't it?

If understand it correct then mdadm: /dev/sda does not appear to be an md device

means that the superblock of sda is missing.

But then sudo e2fsck -b 32768 /dev/sda 

could work, or?

• Offizieller Beitrag

could work, or

TBH at this moment whatever you do is up to you, if one/two drive/s were missing the superblock then there's a chance of recovery, mdadm is failing to find any superblocks, what you are attempting is a recovery on individual drives, you need, or at least I would look at the array.

• Hi,

DiskInternals Linux reader says that ther drives are RAID5.

What do you mean when you say look at the array? I'm not so good into Linux.

As you mentioned before, with testdisk?

Install like that?

Code
    sudo apt update 
    sudo apt -y install testdisk

Is it possible to mount the array in testdisk?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to mount the array in testdisk

No, testdisk is a file recovery program that is run on individual drives, therefore you would run it on each drive within the array to see if it's possible to recover some data but there's no guarantee

One of the options I suggested was to try fsck on the array if you used the ext4 file system -> fsck /dev/md0

• Thank you for your support.

That's the same problem that we've got with the mdadm.

Should I do the e2fsck -b 32768 with the drives?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!