My Rpi4 NAS build w/rclone

• I did my first NAS build with a raspberry pi 4 4gb, two SSD drives (Sandisk sdssda-1t00) that I got on sale at Amazon, two starteck USB to SATA adapters, and an open "case". I had hoped to do a raid 1 setup, but I learned that's not advisable with USB interfaces. So I do an Rsync every 15 minutes to synchronize the drives, and I use Rclone to backup to Amazon S3 glacier class storage once a night. I have a mix of Windows 10, 11, and Linux Mint machines attached to the device by Samba/CIFS and it works flawlessly. The bottleneck seems to be my home network. On a gigabit ethernet connection, I easily saturate the NIC and top out at about 100-110 MB/second. I am into this for approximately $200. I couldn't be happier with its performance. I know the drives are kind of small for a NAS but we don't have a lot of data to store.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why can't more people post good stories like this? : ) Nice simple setup that should be very reliable.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I haven't measured it but it's got to be under 10 watts at idle. The power supply can only provide 18 watts max.

• Louie1961

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
  • I just come here for some advices, why my home Rpi4 NAS upload/download SMB transfer speed is only 30MB/s on gigabite LAN.

I seen the nice post from @Louie1961, and the speed he is talking about with nearly same HW setup. So I return to thinking :D. and.. hmm . How about using a LAN cable instead of WIFI connection on my PC. And here it is... 80MB/s up/down ..

Nice :) thank you @Louie1961 for advice..

p.s.: I am not sure why at the moment, but it seems to me that for 2x M.2 disks via external USB box power suply with 3A is not enough. I have issue when both disks are runnning togethet, it startes to disconnect each of HDD with i/o error .. Separate it works very well.. I will see on Monday if 4A power supply helps ..

RPi4 - 2Gb - 32Gb SDcard // 1x WD SN570 - 1TB, 1x Kingstone NV1 - 1TB // each in AXAGON EEM2-GTR

openmediavault 6.1.7-1

• Offizieller Beitrag

So I do an Rsync every 15 minutes to synchronize the drives,

You might consider lengthening that period out to once a day or even longer. That would give you backup.

With a reasonable period to detect a data disaster or even an unintentional "delete", the extended period would give you time to stop the next rsync event and recover as needed from the backup drive.

• You might consider lengthening that period out to once a day or even longer. That would give you backup.

With a reasonable period to detect a data disaster or even an unintentional "delete", the extended period would give you time to stop the next rsync event and recover as needed from the backup drive.

Good point, thanks.

• You're welcome. Be sure to disable wifi to save a couple of watts. Also, are you using RAID? The documentation says that RAID is unreliable with a USB interface. Also my power supply from Canakit is 3.5 amps.

• FWIW, I am still very happy with this setup. It would have 100% uptime except for the times when it is being updated. It is super reliable. I have an old HPZ640 workstation that I recently purchased for not a lot of money. I was going to turn that into a home srver and run a NAS application in a VM or a docker. But that server pulls 70 watts at idle. So, my pi NAS isn't going anywhere. Especially since the electric rates here in Connecticut just went up to $0.39/KwH (all inclusive- supply and delivery charges)

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, my pi NAS isn't going anywhere.

If it works for you, that's what matters. And you have on-board back up.

Especially since the electric rates here in Connecticut just went up to $0.39/KwH

I've noticed that electricity rates have gone up here, considerably, as well. While I prefer to have my server up 24x7, with hard drives spinning (less wear and tear), soon it may make sense to move to my Odriod or my RPI4. Otherwise, maybe, I'll shut down at night.

What I'd like to see is a reasonably priced SBC with ECC RAM, 2 SATA interfaces and 4 to 8GB to support ZFS.
    (I don't think that's asking for too much. :) )

• How did yoy manage to feed 2 sata 2,5" drives on the Pi4B?

Whenever I connect the 2nd drive I got I/O errors due to insufficient amp supply from the USB ports.

It is not problem of the power supply (3A at 5V = 15W), but the maximum power draw from the USB ports spec (1.2A at 5V = 6W combined). So, one drive is not problematic, but two it is, specially when spinning up and when doing some heavy load tasks (transmission, rsync...)

My Pi4B is the 8GB ram one, and my drives are WD MyPassport Ultra 5TB 2,5".

omv 5.5.23-1 usul arm64

omv 5.5.23-1 usul x64

• How did yoy manage to feed 2 sata 2,5" drives on the Pi4B?

Because he's using SSDs which have a lower power consumption.

my drives are WD MyPassport Ultra 5TB 2,5".

Those drives are HDD.

And NO, you won't be able to power them together on the Pi USB ports alone.

Either have a proper USB box with external power or use the same setup as he did, with SSDs.

Even so, I (me and personal choice) wouldn't trust a setup with Pi only power unless there's a UPS for redundancy on power failures.

SBCs or the SSDs don't "like" power failures.

• Correct, I am running SSD drives not spinning drives. I got them on sale at amazon for ~$50 each. I couldn't resist.

• Are you running OMV from the SD card or is it on one of the drives?

I have a similar set up that has been running for 2 months now without any problems. However I understand the SD card is the weak point with many RPI projects so wondering if I can install OMV on one of the drives

• Offizieller Beitrag

However I understand the SD card is the weak point with many RPI projects

OMV has the flashmemory plugin which significantly reduces the writes to the SD card by keeping most of the log files in the RAM and only syncing from RAM to SD card on shutdown. Many here use SBC with SD cards for a long time.

omv6:omv6_plugins:flashmemory [omv-extras.org]

• Are you running OMV from the SD card or is it on one of the drives?

I have a similar set up that has been running for 2 months now without any problems. However I understand the SD card is the weak point with many RPI projects so wondering if I can install OMV on one of the drives

from the SD card

• This NAS build is now the backup destination for my Synology and my Proxmox server. To the earlier question about power usage, I am running the following devices 24x7: Intel Celeron J4125 based pfSense firewall device, 8 port 2.5 gbps switch, TP-Link WA-3001 WAP, Synology DS 220+, this Pi NAS, and a Pi-Star MMDVM ham radio hotpot. All in it is running about 44-45 watts. When I turn on my "server" (an old HP Z640 workstation, E5-2690v3 CPU) my total power draw averages about 125 watts. It goes up dependent on the amount of CPU utilization, but 90% of the time my entire set up is under 130 watts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!