Custom OMV 6 installation with added WIFI driver

• I will be concise and clear. I'm currently satesfied with the OMV 6 isntallation but i had many problems instaling it after almost 2 years using OMV 5. The only thing that was the problem for me is recognizing the wireless card when booted from USB.

My problem is that i use LTE router which doesn't have LAN ports, so I needed to share my connection (router connected with usb port) through LAN on Windows, then to the switch and then connection on LAN of the future OMV installation. I will not mention problems sharing that kind of internet, i will just say don't lose your faith :) Anyway, i will skip that story now, and tell you this.. My D-Link wireless USB wasn't recognized by the OMV boot ISO, or at least it just doesn't work as it should, so i ended with that sharing connection through LAN just to solve OMV 6 preparation for installation. After i rebooted computer OMV recognized wireless card and it was fine, but i can imagine people that don't understand OMV 6 installation that there aren't any warnings configuring wireless connection. OMV can see my card in installation but it just doesn't use it in proper way connecting to router to get packages from sources.

My question is, is it possible to use custom driver in ISO of OMV6 (RTL2800USB in my case) when booted from USB?

• My question is, is it possible to use custom driver in ISO of OMV6 (RTL2800USB in my case) when booted from USB?

For experienced people on Linux, probably yes.

For newbies (like myself) I rather have the non-free Debian netinst available since it has more firmware available on it.

It doesn't mean that it will aknowledge ALL hardware available on the market but it "sees" more than the free version of the installer.

• leptir The driver software for your ralink based wireless device is already included in the OMV6 iso as part of the "firmware-misc-nonfree" package. Your wireless card wouldn't have been recognised on re-boot if the software driver were not already installed.

See: https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/firmware-misc-nonfree which includes

Code
    Ralink RT2870/RT3070/RT3071/RT3072 (RT2800U[D] chipset) firmware,   version 0.36 (rt2870.bin, rt3070.bin)

I can't say what happened during the install process, you would have to provide more details. Whenever possible, installing over a wired connection is less likely to cause network problems.

• i saw that

Ralink RT2870/RT3070/RT3071/RT3072 (RT2800U[D] chipset) firmware, version 0.36 (rt2870.bin, rt3070.bin)

But in install of Omv 5 and now Omv 6 it was the same, after writing the wifi details it just return to the start of wifi setting. I had previously HP computer where the same thing happened, and i tested that D-link on Windows several times and it was just fine. This is not some major problem, i worked it around, but i was just wondered if there is any additional custom boot options for Omv regarding drivers

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von leptir () aus folgendem Grund: Edit: ...Omv 5 and now Omv 6...

• leptir I don't have any wifi dongles to test this out and offer much advice. During OMv6 installation and after network config you could switch to one of the installers alternative consoles (F4) to read any error messages. Otherwise AFAIK it would mean preseeding the OMV6 installation with your wireless network details, the ssid, wpa2 password, etc. I don't think you can do that by simply adding additional boot parameters via the initial OMV boot menus.

• leptir I found time to dig out my ageing T420 laptop as it supports VT-D and you can passthrough the inbuilt wireless N card to a VM. During the OMV6 install any wireless adapter found during the background hardware scan is presented for choice at the network configuration step. It's either going to connect via DHCP, or not , after the input of a valid ssid and WPA/WPA2 per-shared key. The install can complete without an internet connection which you can then configure post-install with omv-firstaid at the OMV6 CLI.

One ting which may have prevented your wireless adapter from working during the install is the use of ipv6. Turning ipv6 off during the install might have made the difference. To do this, you would choose to edit the boot params at the first OMv6 install screen , adding the param "ipv6.disable=1"

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!