OMV on QNAP TS-459 Pro+: Switch off front display?

• Hello,

I have (sucessfully) installed OMV on my QNAP TS-459 Pro+. When the NAS is switched on, the front panel display shows "SYSTEM BOOTING" and a progress bar made from ">"-signs. Is there a way in OMV to infuence the display? E.g. switch it off or clear the message or even use it to show the real state of the system?

Reiner

QNAP TS-459 Pro+, Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, 1GB Memory, OMV 6.1.7-1 (Shaitan)

• New
    • Official Post

It probably requires a custom display driver for the kernel if I remember how QNAP has done things in the past. Lots of effort for little gain.

omv 6.2.0-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 6.1 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.1.1 | kvm 6.2.8 | compose 6.6.1 | cputemp 6.1.3 | mergerfs 6.3.5 | zfs 6.0.12

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In the meantime I found out more about the display. It is available as a Serial Port (/dev/ttyS1) and it is possible to send command to it using 1200 Baud. I found this script that allows setting text from the console. There also seems to be a set of Python Modules to interact with it but I don't know if that is usefull for a OMV Plugin Integration as I am new to OMV and don't know how plugins work.

For the moment I will start playing with the script and use it from a on boot cron job to clear the display and send a "Ready" mesage to it. But if somebody knows how to better integrate this into OMV and maybe display stuff dynamically I would be happy to hear about it!

QNAP TS-459 Pro+, Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, 1GB Memory, OMV 6.1.7-1 (Shaitan)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!