User Permission SSH

• Hi,

I believe its best practice to remove root from SSH login for security purposes.

As a result, I have set up a new user with groups - docker, root, users, sambashare, ssh, sudo.

When I log into my system through putty with this username, the command line always has a fixed $ when using cd making it confusing where I am in the folder structure unlike when logging with root, which shows where you are in the folder structure - it there a way to have this with my user?

• New
    • Official Post

As a result, I have set up a new user with groups - docker, root, users, sambashare, ssh, sudo.

There are zero reasons to add any user to the root group.

When I log into my system through putty with this username, the command line always has a fixed $ when using cd making it confusing where I am in the folder structure unlike when logging with root, which shows where you are in the folder structure - it there a way to have this with my user?

You need a home directory setup to store a .profile.

omv 6.2.0-1 Shaitan | 64 bit | 6.1 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.1.1 | kvm 6.2.8 | compose 6.6.1 | cputemp 6.1.3 | mergerfs 6.3.5 | zfs 6.0.12

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• New
    • Official Post

Go to the Users - > Settings tab. enable and pick a shared folder. If you want to use the user you already have, you will have to change the home directory of that user. Otherwise, create a new user.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 6.1.1 | kvm 6.2.8 | compose 6.6.1 | cputemp 6.1.3 | mergerfs 6.3.5 | zfs 6.0.12

• New
    • Official Post

Look at the usermod command.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!