Overkill hardware - How much is really needed for omv ?

• Hi.

I'm thinking more and more about how overkill the hardware on my omv NAS (which backs up the data from another NAS and acts as a backup NAS/Plex server in case my main NAS (a Syology DS218) goes down) is. I built my main desktop PC and my backup NAS at the same time back in 2018. My NAS has an i3 8100, a 128 GB SSD for OMV (even in 2018 I gave up on finding a smaller drive) and... 32 GB of RAM. I installed Windows on a separate SSD in case I need it for some reason but even for that OS I think 32 GB is way too much for the purpose of a NAS. I even thought of giving up that hardware to sell it and use an old PC that I was gifted by the company I spent time in as an intern during my IT studies, that I currently have no use for, but I would have just enough SATA ports to plug my data drives. I know OMV can run off a USB flash drive but I'd rather use an internal SSD. Basically I never see omv using more than 3 or 4 GB (or less) of RAM even at peak usage. I originally intended to put 16 GB of RAM in that build but my 2 8 GB sticks got lost in the mail, Amazon sent me another package after considering ir lost (after 15 days), and I received the original package several months after that. But if I'm removing unused RAM, what do I do with it? I certainly don't want it inside a drawer and I don't have any free slots in my desktop PC.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks for the reply. If I'm selling it, I might replace it with that old PC I'm talking about in the OP. But how do I install OMV if I have just enough SATA ports for my data drives? I don't have a M.2 slot (it's a socket 775) and I don't think installing to a USB flash drive would be a good idea. Plus, writing the OP made me realize it's the amount of RAM that bugs me more than anything else.

Problem is I rarely earned much from selling PCs I put together myself. Is there a website to estimate the value of a PC?

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think installing to a USB flash drive would be a good idea

Many do. Me included.

I also have the feeling that selling 5 year old consumer hardware is not worth the effort. You could see if you get some hints on ebay.

• Thanks for the reply. If I'm selling it, I might replace it with that old PC I'm talking about in the OP. But how do I install OMV if I have just enough SATA ports for my data drives? I don't have a M.2 slot (it's a socket 775) and I don't think installing to a USB flash drive would be a good idea. Plus, writing the OP made me realize it's the amount of RAM that bugs me more than anything else.

Problem is I rarely earned much from selling PCs I put together myself. Is there a website to estimate the value of a PC?

Thanks again.

You can use a M.2 SSD PCIe adapter like this one if the mainboard BIOS allows to boot from it which mine does: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NS…ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

• Many do. Me included.

I also have the feeling that selling 5 year old consumer hardware is not worth the effort. You could see if you get some hints on ebay.

I know many probably do, even I did at some point but after two dead drives I figured I'd buy a SSD instead. I didn't realize 2018 was 5 years ago already so yeah it might be another problem to sell it.

backslash  @Louie1961 I knew about M.2 PCI expansion cards but not about the SATA ones. I might buy one of the latter and try my luck. I don't see an entry for booting from PCI in the BIOS though.

While thinking about it, it might just replace my 2 GB Pi 4 as an emulation rig instead. My other Pi, a Pi 3 was hosting my first OMV install by the way.

• If you are using it just as NAS to backup your primary NAS and as a plex server then in my opinion you have way much free resources. I use MobaXterm as SSH client and constantly I see how much power and memory is needed for OMV to run in different use cases when I do something over SSH. For years I use Thin Clients to run OMV with 2,5" 7-9 mm disks in RAID 5. It is very cost efficient and I mean not only building those, but electricity efficient. 2x 1,65GHz or 4x 1,5 GHz 2-4GB of DDR3 10600, 3x 2TB, 8-16 GB SLC/TLC SSD for OS.

flashmemory plugin is definitely a must-have when OS is running on flash drive. Otherwise you can kill the SSD/flashdrive really fast. Once I did that. :saint:

@macom in this wiki article there is not mentioned about additional attributes in "noatime" and "nodiratime" that needed to be add by hand in /etc/fstab. Is this not needed anymore? I still add them and nothing bad happens to my systems, but maybe I have missed the memo that it is not required anymore? :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

macom in this wiki article there is not mentioned about additional attributes in "noatime" and "nodiratime" that needed to be add by hand in /etc/fstab. Is this not needed anymore? I still add them and nothing bad happens to my systems, but maybe I have missed the memo that it is not required anymore?

They have always been considered as optional to reduce writes a bit more. And editing fstab to add these options caused quite some corrupted fstabs. I assume for these reasons they have been removed from the instruction (or not added to the wiki).

• OK guys, I had an idea in the back of my head for a while of switching the spare room in my flat from a storage space to an office room, using my current omv system as a traditional PC running either Windows or Linux, maybe both. I would also switch the hardware of my current omv system to a spare case I have laying around. It was the case my main system was in until about 2 years ago, I retired it since while moving the movers broke the plexiglas window from that case and plexiglas replacements were sold out on the manufaturer website. But the case is still usable, there's just a hole in the bottom of the window.

So, this weekend I was going to switch the hard drives from my current omv system to the old system I'm not usng, installing omv on a flash drive for now, before deciding on whether buying either a SATA expansion card, a NVMe expansion card or nothing. The problem being this old PC is so old it only has pre-USB 3 USB ports (I don't even know if they're even USB 2 but they don't seem slower) so the main bottleneck would be the boot drive. I already tried installing on an old USB 2 flash drive during lunch but the install process and the system itself was painfully slow. I'm currently trying to install omv on another flash drive I think is faster.(but still USB 2). It already feels faster, I'll tell you once it finishes.

One last question: If I make the switch and mess up the drives order, will I need to rebuild my RAID array (and so retransfer my data all over again)?

EDIT: So the old flash drive was indeed the bottleneck, omv is MUCH faster on the 2nd drive I tried.

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von moisemust () aus folgendem Grund: Results of the 2nd install

• Offizieller Beitrag

They have always been considered as optional to reduce writes a bit more. And editing fstab to add these options caused quite some corrupted fstabs. I assume for these reasons they have been removed from the instruction (or not added to the wiki).

The gains from the additional "teaks" were minimal and, in some instances, only applicable to very specific use cases. When weighed against user mistakes being made in configuration, it was decided that the small differences wasn't worth the potential for damage.

I don't think installing to a USB flash drive would be a good idea.

I've never used anything else (other than a flash drive) to boot OMV. With the flashmemory plugin installed, they last a long time. While I've had a few SD-cards fail (most of them were cheap generics), I've only had one good quality USB thumbdrive fail. It was at least 5 years old. It might have been 6 or 7. It was old enough to where I'm not sure of the exact age. I'll qualify that and say that I use my server as a NAS. (I'm not running Dockers or a media server from my flash boot drive.)

The real benefit with a flashdrive is, they're easy to clone. If a thumbdrive fails, replace it with a cloned backup and the server is up again in a matter of minutes.

• I've never used anything else (other than a flash drive) to boot OMV. With the flashmemory plugin installed, they last a long time. While I've had a few SD-cards fail (most of them were cheap generics), I've only had one good quality USB thumbdrive fail. It was at least 5 years old. It might have been 6 or 7. It was old enough to where I'm not sure of the exact age. I'll qualify that and say that I use my server as a NAS. (I'm not running Dockers or a media server from my flash boot drive.)

The real benefit with a flashdrive is, they're easy to clone. If a thumbdrive fails, replace it with a cloned backup and the server is up again in a matter of minutes.

Yeah I was talking about my experience with 2 dead drives using them as an omv boot drive but I didn't know about the plugin I was directed to a few posts ago. Fingers crossed it won't happen again soon!

Also I swapped my hard drives from my omv system to my old computer. Problem is the disks are floating inside the case. I only have a media case that's fused with the case (it's a prebuilt from Lenovo, a Thinkcentre M58e). Can anyone recommend a hard drive cage I could put inside my old PC that can hold 4, 3.5" hard drives ? Would something like this be good?

Sorry the page is in French (which is my native language).

• Sorry the page is in French (which is my native language).

I saw the page in English. (Most browsers have plugin's that can translate.)

Would something like this be good?

Check the measurements to see if it will fit inside your case. Generally speaking, drives goes in one side of the cage and the cabling goes in the other side, so that means you'll need some space on both of the open ends of the cage. That means you'll have to watch were you mount it.

Notice that on the side with the grill; the grill screws in on the top and (maybe) the bottom, meaning the grill is not a door. You might not be able to use the grill.

• I saw the page in English. (Most browsers have plugin's that can translate.)

Check the measurements to see if it will fit inside your case. Generally speaking, drives goes in one side of the cage and the cabling goes in the other side, so that means you'll need some space on both of the open ends of the cage. That means you'll have to watch were you mount it.

Notice that on the side with the grill; the grill screws in on the top and (maybe) the bottom, meaning the grill is not a door. You might not be able to use the grill.

Never mind, I found something more surely compatible with my old PC, a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter, since 3/4 of the cage that's inside is that size. Thanks anyways.

• It is all dependent on what you’re doing and how much load.

I have almost the same specs on Dell i3 with 32GB of DDR4 and one hard drive.

I never see more than 4-8GB OF RAM used, seems to use more CPU than RAM

dependent on process happening.

But I have an Intel server with 96GB DDR3 2-Xeon CPU’s, 8cores 8threads,

5-8TB drives running RAID 6 ZFS,with another 8TB AS SPARE. that occasionally uses 30-40GB RAM, but never over 20% CPU, all that saturating a 2.5GB LAN connection, as in accessing files, uploading downloading. Now with that said, I turn the Intel server off unless I’m using it.

The OMV box runs 24/7, and is used almost daily.

For power savings, the Intel has dual power 650w power supply’s. The cost difference is huge

• I always buy far more than I will ever need. Mainly because I’ve been in that situation where ya went cheap and you wish you had done more.

I don’t see it as “hardware for OMV” rather than VM’s?, Containers?, Hosting?, Storage? And even transcoding.

Kind of like Krispy Kream donuts; ya wanna impress yourself and your girl or guy so ya get one but the whole night and next day you wish you got the damned 5 you wanted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!