BIOS Installation Screen Unreadable Formatting

• Hello!

I'm trying to install OMV on my old laptop to use it as a NAS, but the installation dialog screens are displaying in such a way that they're unreadable. I've attempted to install with the 'stable' and 'old stable' images. Initially, I used Balena to mount the 'stable' image, then used Ventoy to so I could load both images to the USB.

The laptop is a dell Inspiron 15-3521, purchased roughly 10yrs ago. The USB is pretty new, from a Sandisk 3 pack I bought a few months ago. I've been using one of the other drives for Tails without any issue (just verified this again before posting).

Any thoughts? The picture attached is what I see immediately after choosing "install" from the installation menu. I can navigate the menus & it looks like the highlighted line changes. It looks like the windows are 'unwrapped' larger than they're supposed to be, so things don't line up vertically.

• I wasn't able to get the laptop to switch to the external display, so I ended up taking a different approach & managed to get OMV installed.

Just in case someone else has a similar problem in the future, here's what I did:

1. Removed the hard drive from my laptop

2. Cobbled together a computer from spare parts I had, using the laptop hard drive as a main drive

3. Installed OMV using the makeshift unit

4. Replaced the hard drive back in the laptop

5. Changed boot mode to legacy & secure boot off (might not need to turn off secure boot, that was just the first option in the list)

I was able to boot into the terminal screen at this point, although I had screwed something up trying to change to a static IP so I couldn't test the web GUI.

Thanks for the help, crashtest!

• Offizieller Beitrag

so I ended up taking a different approach & managed to get OMV installed.

Just as a note; I've built OMV onto a thumbdrive at a workstation. When the build was finished, I moved the thumbdrive to a server.

I had screwed something up trying to change to a static IP so I couldn't test the web GUI.

Generally speaking, it's best to go with the DHCP default until you get into the GUI, then change to static addressing

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!