Backup for OS OVM6

• Clonezilla is not gone from OMV6. Look in:

System | Kernel

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had to move it to its own plugin - openmediavault-kernel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a wiki about it. It is linked to in the plugin. The docs basically tell you how to get into clonezilla. After that, any clonezilla docs are going to be usable. Not quite sure what you are looking for but most people will clone the OS disk to files on their data disks.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• There is a wiki about it. It is linked to in the plugin. The docs basically tell you how to get into clonezilla. After that, any clonezilla docs are going to be usable. Not quite sure what you are looking for but most people will clone the OS disk to files on their data disks.

I am looking to be able to backup my OS disk and be able to restore if needed. I thought that I would backup to an external drive in case of system failure. Looking for the best way to do that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am looking to be able to backup my OS disk and be able to restore if needed. I thought that I would backup to an external drive in case of system failure. Looking for the best way to do that.

Have you tried clonezilla before? It really is easy to use to do both of the things you want to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I missed the wiki link

The link is in the kernel plugin as well.

• This is what I am looking at, where is Kernel?

Kernel is a plugin which you have to install (see Plugin on the left menu (System --> Plugins)

There are, sometimes, many ways to do things/tasks, and experience with them will lead you to take the one you feel comfortable with.
    My test drives are on 2 machines both OMV with ZFS and with a 500gb laptop SYS BOOT HDD
    1. i7 920 with 12gb ram; 4x2tb sata WD purple
    2. ibm x3100 m4; 32gb ram; 4x6tb sas Seagate

• Have you tried clonezilla before? It really is easy to use to do both of the things you want to do.

Is there a way to do it like how they do it in Free/TrueNAS CORE and SCALE?
    I have tried it over there and works like a charm... this would be great to implement in OMV

My test drives are on a
    i7 920 with 12gb RAM and 4x2 WD purple

There are, sometimes, many ways to do things/tasks, and experience with them will lead you to take the one you feel comfortable with.
    My test drives are on 2 machines both OMV with ZFS and with a 500gb laptop SYS BOOT HDD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way to do it like how they do it in Free/TrueNAS CORE and SCALE?

No idea. Never used them. What are they doing?

• You can download the OS config file system and save it to your local disk as a backup of all your current config settings and you can upload that same file back if you mess thing up with with your current setup or to a newly created system disk. Your settings will be back online as of that moment when the file was saved.
    BUT they, TrueNAS (C/S) and OMV, are different OS and they do things differently. Nothing wrong with that - so be it

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can download the OS config file system and save it to your local disk as a backup of all your current config settings and you can upload that same file back if you mess thing up with with your current setup or to a newly created system disk. Your settings will be back online as of that moment when the file was saved.

No. That isn't possible with OMV yet. You can create an image of the OS disk with the backup plugin while the OS is running. It is harder to restore but hopefully you aren't doing that very often.

• Sounds like it's coming - glad to hear.
    I have to try that backup plugin to see how that works - Thanks for pointing that out.
    Backups, backups, backups, better have too much than too little - offline and offsite. We can lose our valuable data and memories with the snap of a finger or within a blink of a sec.

• If you want to backup only the OS partition, I recommend openmediavault-backup plugin with "dd full disk" method. Very easy to setup and easy to restore. Tested it many times, and never had any problems. Every time new major version of OMV/Debian is released, I download from remote servers its backups, restore it on local machine and test if it is safe to upgrade remotely.

• If you want to backup only the OS partition, I recommend openmediavault-backup plugin with "dd full disk" method. Very easy to setup and easy to restore. Tested it many times, and never had any problems. Every time new major version of OMV/Debian is released, I download from remote servers its backups, restore it on local machine and test if it is safe to upgrade remotely.

It does seem easy enough to setup, but I am curious about the restore process. What is the process?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!