Plugins conflict

• Can you install Plugins randomly without any conflicts?

There are, sometimes, many ways to do things/tasks, and experience with them will lead you to take the one you feel comfortable with.
    My test drives are on 2 machines both OMV with ZFS and with a 500gb laptop SYS BOOT HDD
    1. i7 920 with 12gb ram; 4x2tb sata WD purple
    2. ibm x3100 m4; 32gb ram; 4x6tb sas Seagate

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you install Plugins randomly without any conflicts?

Yes. My OMV 6 dev VM has almost every plugin installed. What makes you think you will conflicts?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for confirming... I was wondering if there is a special following orde - good to know there is none. Thanks again.

There are, sometimes, many ways to do things/tasks, and experience with them will lead you to take the one you feel comfortable with.
    My test drives are on 2 machines both OMV with ZFS and with a 500gb laptop SYS BOOT HDD

• Thanks for confirming... I was wondering if there is a special following orde - good to know there is none. Thanks again.

I was reinstalling OMV OS on a 250gb laptop HDD. While installing some random plugins I saw a red alert message error at the end of the installation of the Kernel Plugin. Prior to the Kernel Plugin I installed ZFS plugin. So I deleted the Kernel and then the ZFS plugins and reinstalled in a reversed following order I didn't get that alert error message in that order. I may have had this before too but never paid keen attention to it...
    Another strange occurrence was when I disabled Backports in OMV-extras I keep getting the iterating of the confirmation and save and when I want to quit, the system ask if I want to ignore changes? After a few times I decided to say yes and out of it... but the process was done successfully - when I rechecked, it was disabled - despite the iterating it was done.
    I have no clue if these 2 cases are conflict issues or something else BUT I've made my own notes for any further re-installation of OMV OS in the future.
    PS: Sorry I didn't make any screenshots of these cases. If ever i should again which is most likely to happen hahahahaha. I will surely share here

ZFS plugin is perhaps the exception, you must install promox kernel prior to install ZFS plugin, to install promox kernel, you need to install first the kernell plugin.

to prevent coflict like a old non promoxkernel be in use when update, disable backport is recomended.

Sorry if I say something wrong, perhaps @ryecoaaron can confirm/dismis it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I saw a red alert message error at the end of the installation of the Kernel Plugin

What does this mean? The kernel plugin hardly does anything when it is being installed.

So I deleted the Kernel

No need. The zfs plugin has to compile the kernel module if you have the backports kernel installed. As raulfg3 mentioned, if you have the proxmox kernel installed, you can avoid the compilation.

Another strange occurrence was when I disabled Backports in OMV-extras I keep getting the iterating of the confirmation and save and when I want to quit, the system ask if I want to ignore changes

I need screenshots to know what you are referring to. Also make sure to ctrl-shift-R. Seems like your browser cache might be old.

I have no clue if these 2 cases are conflict issues or something else BUT I've made my own notes for any further re-installation of OMV OS in the future

They aren't conflicts. You are just having zfs issues because it is a pain in the ass and assuming the other plugin caused it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• What does this mean? The kernel plugin hardly does anything when it is being installed.

No need. The zfs plugin has to compile the kernel module if you have the backports kernel installed. As raulfg3 mentioned, if you have the proxmox kernel installed, you can avoid the compilation.

I need screenshots to know what you are referring to. Also make sure to ctrl-shift-R. Seems like your browser cache might be old.

They aren't conflicts. You are just having zfs issues because it is a pain in the ass and assuming the other plugin caused it.

No pain, no gain - I can live with it.
    Are you saying that the Backports must be disabled first before we install the Kernel? If yes, then there is a following order to install plugins whether it's ZFS or any other one? If no, except for ZFS then no problems - Now I know. I didn't know before, that's why I ask.
    PS: I am a newbie compared to OMV Gurus adn advanced users. And I am learning from you guys. Thanks to all for being here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you saying that the Backports must be disabled first before we install the Kernel?

NO. Backports being disabled will get you an older kernel. The kernel plugin does not care if backports is disable or enabled.

If yes, then there is a following order to install plugins whether it's ZFS or any other one? If no, except for ZFS then no problems

No, there is no following order. There might be an order if you want a specific outcome but that is true of anything. There is no reason to disable backports in my opinion. If you are running an amd64 system, the proxmox kernel is very good. If you choose to install zfs before installing the proxmox kernel, then you will have to deal with the compiling issues but that doesn't mean it has to be done. And yes, zfs is the most fragile plugin because it does compile a kernel module when not using proxmox. When I setup a new system (this is in the new user guide):

• install omv using the install script or omv iso (need to install omv-extras if using the iso)
    • fully update
    • install kernel plugin
    • install proxmox kernel
    • reboot
    • remove non-proxmox kernels
    • install zfs plugin (if needed)
    • configure filesystems
    • configure sharedfolders
    • install docker
    • install plugins
    • configure services
    • remove non-proxmox kernel

Is that an order? Yep but it doesn't have to be done in that order. So, don't get all caught up in some super specific order that things need to be done.

• What does this mean? The kernel plugin hardly does anything when it is being installed.

No pain, no gain - I can live with it.
    Ctrl+Shift+r: If the system doesn't do it automatically after installing a plugin, I make it a habit to do it also immediately after the sys process - if the SYS doesn't do it automatically, I also make it a habit to do it anyway.
    Are you saying that the Backports must be disabled first before we install the Kernel? If yes, then there is a following order to install plugins whether it's ZFS or any other one? If no, except for ZFS then no problems - Now I know. I didn't know before, that's why I ask.
    PS: I am a newbie compared to OMV Gurus and advanced users here. And I am learning from you guys - Thanks to all for being here - highly appreciated

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!