Issues with static Ip

• Hi everyone,

I would like to ask your opinion about an anomaly that recently occurred at the university research center where I work. We have three omv6 servers that work perfectly with dynamic ip. Though, we need them to have a static ip otherwise windows applications running under wine in a linux (debian 11) environment cannot access the shared folders automatically at boot. So I assigned static ip via GUI. It worked perfectly, but only for some days, say a week, after which there is an interference. A Cisco message appears (the whole university has a Cisco phone system) and the share folder are not available. (Since yesterday, also the login screen of the wifi repeater which is in our research room). Fortunately, the three server are not interrupted at the same time.Anyway, I have to run omv-firstaid as root in order to reconfigure the network. It works if I choose an automatic configuration (no Ipv6). If I configure the network manually by assigning a static ip, it works as mentioned before, i.e. for a few days, and then the Cisco screen appears again. Let me point out that static IPs are available; and that in theory there should be no conflict. I've sent a support ticket to the computer techs at the university, but if anyone has a suggestion, a link or idea regarding the described omv6 behavior or what is happening, I'd be very grateful. Thanks a lot

• I think you need to talk to the folks that are administering the university network. Randomly assigning a static IP on a server may cause conflicts on the network if those IP addresses are not reserved for the servers, as a network DHCP server could be trying to give them to another device. They will need to check and confirm the network configuration.

• Hi thanks for your reply. It clarifies what probably happened. A network DHCP server must have assigned to other devices the "static" IPs. From a first informal contact, I have come to know that the those IPs are static. So I could not exclude an issue in the network configuration within OMV6. The fact is, that in my own office, next door, the "static" ip on a normal pc stays. Same applies for other pcs in the server's room. But what you say makes sense: probably a range of IPs are not truly reserved. This should be the most plausible explanation of this strange situation. I cannot see why an ordinary pc remains with a static IP while OMV6 does not. I could only think of conflict between DHCP and Static IP within OMV6 GUI. But this is quite for sure to exclude. I will check in the forum if issues of this type are reported and I will talk with the folks and listen to what they have to say. Thanks a lot.

• Hi, many thanks for your reply. This is helpful. I have checked the IPs list. The assigned IPs are ranged between 129 and 253. I took 132, 137, 140, thinking that they were not used. This is true, in the sense that those people who had them assigned don't work with us anymore. But that was a mistake, as - according to what BernH wrote - the DHCP server must have given them to another device. If this interpretation is correct, then I only have to ask for reserved server IPs with a high number. I read in the list that the last 20 numbers, with two only exceptions for a printer and probably a qnap nas, are unassigned. The explanations of both of you dissolve the mystery (a mystery at least for me: I am only a researcher in the field of Humanieties, not a technician). Thanks a lot

• essegi62

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!