Hardware upgrade and OMV

• Hello,

I'm using OMV for some time, and I'm happy with it. But I see a need to upgrade my hardware.

RN im using some Low powered Celeron J1900 device with 2x2 RAM and I think about "downgrading" it to some 3-4 gen i5 and 16-32 gigs of RAM.

I'll use same drives I have rn - both the SSD with OMV and HDDs used as storage.

Question is if it'll work after that big of a change? I mean, all my RAIDs (got 2) will be partially the same (cards+HDDs), but the mobo will be different, right? Won't it affect RAID mounting? Don't want to lose my data. It's not THAT important, so it won't be a big loss, but cos of the size (18 TB with about 13 used) this server is the only place I have it stored.

As I wrote, I won't cry if I lose it, but if I can, I prefer to not to.

PS. I checked other threads system showed me that may be similar, but I don't think they were.

My build:

• AsRock Q1900M (Intel Celeron 1900M),
    • 2x2 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHz (Patriot PVS34G1333LLK),
    • 1x SanDisk SDSA6DM-032G-1006 (OS drive),
    • 8x Seagate ST3000DM001 (RAID6),
    • 2x Seagate ST1000LM024 + 2x Seagate ST1000LM035 (RAID10)
    • eWeLink Desktop PC Remote Control Switch.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ch3mn3y ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

PS. I checked other threads system showed me that may be similar, but I don't think they were.

I wonder which ones these were, as I think all of them might tell you, that it should work. The RAID should be auto detected during boot. Only thing you have to do is running omv-firstaid to configure the network interface.

In the unlikely case it does not work, you can just go back to your "old" setup.

• Linux/OMV is pretty forgiving with hardware changes, particularly if they are from the same family of CPU/chipset (ie. intel cpu's and chipsets), usually requiring nothing additional on your part, unless the hardware is so new that the linux kernel has not been re-compiled for it yet.

Moving drives between hardware or even versions of linux/omv is also normally fairly painless as long as you are not using some oddball filesystem that required a special driver compile.

That said the configuration of a RAID is stored on the drives themselves. If the RAID is hardware based, the HBA constructs the RAID and presents it to the OS as a single drive. If the RAID is a regular software based one, mdadm will simple read the configuration and allow it to be mounted.

If you are changing the OMV version, you would have to re-mount the RAID's and re-create your shares. If you used plugins such as mergefs or snapraid you would have to re-install them, but I never have used them myself so I don't know if anything else would be required to re-create the volumes.

I have moved RAID drives to different hardware many times without a problem, but as a general rule I was also doing a fresh OMV install at the same time, so I have always had to re-create shares. I have never done an OMV system drive before myself, but I have done regular linux system drives without any issues aside from an occasional driver if it is a desktop environment (GPU's are usually the driver issue)

• Good to know as my RAIDs are software ones made using OMV.

I'll probably may need to update OMV, but have to think if I'll do "Your" way, so with new install, or than only way I had on my mind till now - move what I have and than update it.

However I thought about moving to KVM (one of the reasons for a little better hardware), so new install is the only way I believe.

My build:

• AsRock Q1900M (Intel Celeron 1900M),
    • 2x2 GB RAM DDR3 1333 MHz (Patriot PVS34G1333LLK),
    • 1x SanDisk SDSA6DM-032G-1006 (OS drive),
    • 8x Seagate ST3000DM001 (RAID6),
    • 2x Seagate ST1000LM024 + 2x Seagate ST1000LM035 (RAID10)
    • eWeLink Desktop PC Remote Control Switch.
  • I tried to add an Nvidia graphics card to my OMV6 and lost network connection to OMV after that. I assume that adding a new pci device changed the name of other devices in the system, omv-firstaid did not help me fix the problem. Maybe because before that I changed my network connection to the br0 bridge. When I removed Nvidia, everything worked as before. I don't know how to add Nvidia to OMV now without reinstalling the whole system.

• I tried to add an Nvidia graphics card to my OMV6 and lost network connection to OMV after that. I assume that adding a new pci device changed the name of other devices in the system, omv-firstaid did not help me fix the problem. Maybe because before that I changed my network connection to the br0 bridge. When I removed Nvidia, everything worked as before. I don't know how to add Nvidia to OMV now without reinstalling the whole system

Adding card can indeed change the predictive naming of other devices.

If you don't want to reinstall, you should undo the network bridge first. then you can add the card, use omv-firstaid to fix the network so you have access, then if needed you can re-create the bridge, but if you don't really need the bridge, there is no need to re-create it.

If you created the bridge for KVM to access the lan so machines can get real IP's instead of using a macvlan, I always found that a simpler solution was to use a second NIC in your system that is connected to your LAN but not configured. The KVM VM's can use that for network access. since it is not configured, the machines get a LAN IP and don't use a macvlan.

• I am not a professional in Linux, can you give instructions on how to properly remove the network bridge, please?!

Or can I just delete the br0 network device in the OMV GUI and then re-create it in omv-firstaid?

• I'm not a Linux "pro" either, and even if I was Linux and OMV are not entirely the same due to the way OMV manages some things.

That said, I did create a bridge for OMV 3 once about 10 years ago, and quickly undid it when I discovered it didn't do what I needed it to do..

If I recall, I simply removed it from the interfaces page and then added in the normal NIC again since it is now releases from the bridge, then applied the changes. Make sure you do both steps before applying the change or else you will have to use the process in the next sentence.

If for some reason you can't add the nic back in, you can apply the changes and then use omv-firstaid via a locally attached monitor and keyboard to add the nic

• In fact, I'm now thinking, do I need a video card in OMV - an electricity devourer? Right now my UHD 630 in an i7 8700t handles two VMs and docker container transcoding pretty well.

My take on it all is, it's a server. Why devote a pile of cash to GPU for transcoding in Plex/Emby/Jellyfin when you can use the Intel GPU if it works to your satisfaction, or as in my case with an AMD 5600G CPU, pre-transcode the media into a streamable format and container, as I haven't gone down the road of trying to get the AMD GPU core working with jellyfin, without the issues of the extra power draw, head load, noise, etc.

If you do want to add anything to the system, I personally think more network ports are a better option as I mentioned above. This way you don't have to mess with the bridge stuff or deal with macvlan shortcomings, as the VM's can use the second NIC.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!