Unable to reach duckdns domains from local network.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A couple of days ago I upgraded my home internet from AT&T "high speed" DSL, to Verizon 5g cellular on an ASK-NCQ1338FA modem/router/wifi cube. That is an increase from 5mb down/.5mb up to about 300mb down/20mb up. Great stuff. Port forwarding was easy to set up. All of my duckdns servers work .... remotely, but are inaccessible on the LAN. In fact, when I enter the base subdomain.duckdns.org in a browser, my new router's admin page pops up. I never had this problem setting up port forwarding with AT&T. This new router's settings are quite simple, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, or if the router simply doesn't quite have the capability to pull it off.

Is anybody on the forum using Verizon's 5g home internet, or anyone for that matter with some idea of how to fix this little problem?

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks gderf . It certainly doesn't have anything like that. I had hoped that the Verizon box had some kind of bridge mode, but alas, no. I was using a pfsense router with my AT&T service, and had hoped to be able to continue, but two days of Google haven't produced any solutions. I had hoped that something would pop up from the forum.

• I run pfsense here on Comcast cable internet which is DHCP bridged. pfsense has NAT reflection capability but it is not enabled by default. I have it enabled and it works.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With AT&T I was using pfsense with a PPoE configuration. You helped me set up the port forwarding back in July of 2021, but I don't remember setting anything concerning the NAT reflection. I still have have it connected to the dsl modem upstairs. I will have to revert back and look at that part. Whether it was set or not, the port forwarding worked perfectly.

I did see something about setting pfsense to Static ip or DHCP and then running it through DMZ in the Verizon router but didn't try that. I could never figure out the details.

• Have you tried a hosts file substitution on each machine where you would like this to work?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you. I need to get to bed. I will work on that tomorrow. I've already found some sites on the subject. Looks promising.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have been working on this issue off and on for the past few days. Sorry gderf for not replying sooner.

When it comes to host file subs i am able to pass a host name to a url easy enough in the /etc/hosts file, but when it comes to a url with a port number attached, it doesn't work:

Code
    192.168.1.140    th140 # works
    192.168.1.140:444    nextcloud.<subdomain>.duckdns.org # does not work

As I said in a post above nextcloud and the other duckdns servers work perfectly when I access remotely, never on the LAN.

• I have been working on this issue off and on for the past few days. Sorry gderf for not replying sooner.

When it comes to host file subs i am able to pass a host name to a url easy enough in the /etc/hosts file, but when it comes to a url with a port number attached, it doesn't work:

Code
    192.168.1.140    th140 # works
    192.168.1.140:444    nextcloud.<subdomain>.duckdns.org # does not work

As I said in a post above nextcloud and the other duckdns servers work perfectly when I access remotely, never on the LAN.

To access your nextcloud you don't need the port added to the hosts file. You would remove the line with the port number and add the port to the web address in the web browser

(nextcloud.<subdomain>.duckdns.org:444)

As an alternative solution, you could implement a local DNS for your LAN so that the ip/domain entries will work on all devices. Some routers have an option for this, but if they don't you can run up a pi-hole server and set the DNS entries for the LAN in the router to point to pi-hole. Pi-hole would then have the entries to equate the loacal IP to the domain, and if set correctly, anything it doesn't have an entry for would get passed on to an internet DNS service such as google.

If you are running a reverse proxy, as you should for anything that is being web accessed, the pihole entry would point to the reverse proxy and it then would point to nextcloud or whatever other services you are exposing.

• but are inaccessible on the LAN

Have you try to find info on "NAT hairpinning"?

• A couple of days ago I upgraded my home internet from AT&T "high speed" DSL, to Verizon 5g cellular on an ASK-NCQ1338FA modem/router/wifi cube. That is an increase from 5mb down/.5mb up to about 300mb down/20mb up. Great stuff. Port forwarding was easy to set up. All of my duckdns servers work .... remotely, but are inaccessible on the LAN. In fact, when I enter the base subdomain.duckdns.org in a browser, my new router's admin page pops up. I never had this problem setting up port forwarding with AT&T. This new router's settings are quite simple, I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, or if the router simply doesn't quite have the capability to pull it off.

Is anybody on the forum using Verizon's 5g home internet, or anyone for that matter with some idea of how to fix this little problem?

If you can, set your ASK-NCQ1338FA to "pass-through" mode and go back to pfsense. You cannot go wrong with it.

Set up for pass-through

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls () aus folgendem Grund: fix typo and added link to pass-through setting video.

• I did see something about setting pfsense to Static ip or DHCP and then running it through DMZ in the Verizon router but didn't try that. I could never figure out the details.

In pfsense you should set your LAN Interface to Static IPv4 and gateway/router IPv4 to Static IP address..

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks andrzejls . I will work on it the next chance I get.

• Thanks andrzejls . I will work on it the next chance I get.

Agricola, Yesterday I switched to AT&T 1 GB Fiber with BGW320-500 modem from AT&T . I had no issue with pfSense+ router (old PC converted) after I disabled WIFI , ALL Firewall and selected "IP Passthorugh" mode using "DHCPS-fixed" settings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yesterday I switched to AT&T 1 GB Fiber with BGW320-500 modem from AT&T . I had no issue with pfSense+ router (old PC converted) after I disabled WIFI , ALL Firewall and selected "IP Passthorugh" mode using "DHCPS-fixed" settings.

Thanks for the info. We are looking at a smaller regional provider installing fiber later this year. As soon as it's available I will be moving to it. For now I have put the pfsense router on the shelf. I will keep your settings in mind for that move.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!