Resource limit matched

• I received an alert from OMV this morning

Code
    The system monitoring needs your attention.

Host:        GTOFileServer
    Date:        Sun, 05 Feb 2023 04:44:20
    Service:     rootfs
    Event:       Resource limit matched
    Description: space usage 89.3% matches resource limit [space usage > 85.0%]

This triggered the monitoring system to: alert

How can I find out what the issue is? I have ssh access.

Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm assuming that means 80% of your OS drive is full?

What is the output of:

Code
    df -h /

Getting ready to go to bed, but assuming you come up with a high percentage of your OS drive full (over 80%)...

Check here.. [How-To] Fix full OS filesystem - GUI login loop

• Well how the heck did it get so full?

Code
    root@GTOFileServer:/# df -h /
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root        29G   29G     0 100% /

UPDATE: It's a large entry in /media: 27GB.

I'm not sure what /media is for . . . the entry is labeled "BMP" which is a name I use for my portable HDD when traveling, that storage device is plugged into the OMV. The output of "mount" does not show the device, so it is not mounted. The files in /media/BMP are old, and irrelevant to me now. If this isn't some kind of mount entry then I reckon I should just be able to delete it. That's my thought, anyway, but I'll wait to hear in case that might be a very bad idea. Thank you.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well how the heck did it get so full?

Code
    root@GTOFileServer:/# df -h /
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/root        29G   29G     0 100% /

UPDATE: It's a large entry in /media: 27GB.

I'm not sure what /media is for . . . the entry is labeled "BMP" which is a name I use for my portable HDD when traveling, that storage device is plugged into the OMV. The output of "mount" does not show the device, so it is not mounted. The files in /media/BMP are old, and irrelevant to me now. If this isn't some kind of mount entry then I reckon I should just be able to delete it. That's my thought, anyway, but I'll wait to hear in case that might be a very bad idea. Thank you.

Well.. I would delete the folder under /media.. not media itself.. it should be OK as long as you know you have the data elsewhere.

But you need to figure out how the data miraculously appeared there. Do you have some sort of automatic job (rsync, maybe a container pointing at the usb drive) that is auto creating that directory when the USB drive is not present.. and then moving data to that folder?

You've figured out the "what" happened, now you need to figure out the "why" to keep it from happening again.

• Thank you.

It was probably something I did a while ago for some now-forgotten reason. The timestamps were from early 2021 and the files are backed up elsewhere. The offending entry has been deleted. Why I didn't get an alert before now, well, there are many mysteries in life and one must decide which are worth investigating.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!