Is it a bad idea to run OMV as a virtual machine on a Windows PC that I want to backup?

• Hi, from the installation guide, I read that OMV can be installed on a virtual machine. How good does it work? Is it a bad idea to run it on the same Windows PC from which I want to backup the files? I am concerned that virtualization may mess up disk operations and OMV running on a virtual machine may not be as good as running on real hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Think about what you're doing. You're trying to backup files to the same hard drive that is housing your Windows OS and, by extension, the VM that will be housing OMV. The single point of failure is the hard drive itself. If the single drive fails, everything is lost.

• Think about what you're doing. You're trying to backup files to the same hard drive that is housing your Windows OS and, by extension, the VM that will be housing OMV. The single point of failure is the hard drive itself. If the single drive fails, everything is lost.

I mean having two separate drives in my PC. One for running Windows and OMV on a virtual machine under Windows. Another is to store the backup data.

• But if you backup data from one drive to another drive, it should be ok. But why using OMV for that?

I need some kind of NAS to run samba as I have files from Windows, Linux, Mac OS and iOS. Considered to use DAS and exFAT but there have been some sayings that it is not go backup data via USB and exFAT is unreliable for data.

• I need some kind of NAS to run samba as I have files from Windows, Linux, Mac OS and iOS. Considered to use DAS and exFAT but there have been some sayings that it is not go backup data via USB and exFAT is unreliable for data.

If all you need is a centrally accessed samba share, you can run samba shares from any one of those os's and access them from the others, you don't need a NAS to just share files between them.

The trick to it is getting the authentication levels working across all systems. MacOS would probably be my last recommendation to use as a SAMBA server though, simply because apple tends to cut off older authentication levels on the server side so it may be more difficult to get other things to access the shares.

• If all you need is a centrally accessed samba share, you can run samba shares from any one of those os's and access them from the others, you don't need a NAS to just share files between them.

The trick to it is getting the authentication levels working across all systems. MacOS would probably be my last recommendation to use as a SAMBA server though, simply because apple tends to cut off older authentication levels on the server side so it may be more difficult to get other things to access the shares.

I need "something" to do two things:

1. File sharing among Windows, MacOS, Linux and iOS. Got some data from different OS stored in different drives.

2. Apple's Time Machine-like backup on a Windows PC which is my current work computer. Want to be able to get back to any previously saved version of file(s).

Used to run Mac, Window and Linux OS all under one Intel Mac. Haven't used Apple computer since they moved to more restricted Silicon chip which messed up my entire workflow for the past 20 years.

Considered to buy a Mac Mini+DAS or Intel NUC + DAS running NAS OS but heard that using USB storage is not good and exFAT is not reliable.

• Well, in that case, I'd say yes, set up an OMV system, but I'd recommend using a dedicated box, not a VM on windows, simply because a windows VM would mean that you always have to have that system on and the VM running, so it would need to be treated more like a server than a workstation. An OMV install does not require much in the way of CPU and RAM, you you could easily do it on a re-purposed system that is not very useful as a desktop machine anymore.

A time-machine like solution for windows can be achieved fairly easily, either to a dedicated drive or a network share. Here are some options:

10 Best Time Machine Alternatives for Windows in 2023
    If you're a Windows user, and fan of Time Machine backup software, check out these best Time Machine alternatives for Windows 10 for Offline & online backup.
    www.howtoisolve.com

As for the question of USB storage and exfat, USB storage in itself is not horrible, but it will never be as fast as a direct attached drive, however, I do agree with that exfat statement. Exfat is not journaled, so it is more prone to data error and loss. If you do use an external drive, you can always reformat it to ext4 or xfs for a good robust journaled filesystem. Aside from my main server, I have an OMV5 install running on a NUC with an external USB enclosure. I have never had an issue with it.

• How about OMV's compatibility with Thunderbolt 4 storage enclosure? I read that it is not supported under TrueNAS.

Not a clue. Thunderbolt is almost exclusively a mac thing. Some PC boards have it, but I don't know much about it's support in debian, which is the underlying OS for OMV.

There are some official debian 11 thunderbolt addons that may make it work for you if you install them, but I have never tried it, so I can't speak to what will work for sure.

https://debian.pkgs.org/11/debian-main-arm64/thunderbolt-tools_0.9.3-5+b1_arm64.deb.html

Debian -- Details of package thunderbolt-tools in bullseye

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!