Check ssl cert expiry cronjob fails to load a certificate and stops with an error

• My openmediavault nas has send me a notification mail with the following message:

Code
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_ssl_cert_expiry:
    unable to load certificate
    139875231245632:error:0909006C:PEM routines:get_name:no start line:../crypto/pem/pem_lib.c:745:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE

As it seems some cronjob checking the expiration of certificates is failing. The certificates that I created in the web interface are not expired. In the logs there is just a notice that anacron process got killed (see the attached image).

Is anybody also experiencing this issue? Can anybody give some tips on how to debug this issue?

• klaussemmler

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

With the upcoming version 6.3.5 the diagnostic should be easier because the script prints out which cert is currently processed. This will help you to identify the cert which is causing the problem. In the meanwhile you have to find out why the cert can not be loaded by the openssl command. You will find the certs in /etc/ssl/certs/ and the are named openmediavault-*. Don't know why it is failing, but maybe the root file system is corrupted incl. the cert file.

• I installed the update and found the problem. In /etc/ssl/certs was a folder, that was named like a certificate and this tripped up the cronjob. I do not know why there was such a folder as I never created it in the first place but now it is gone.

The debug output still seemed a little odd:

Code
    Validating the SSL certificate /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt ...
    140373500593472:error:0909006C:PEM routines:get_name:no start line:../crypto/pem/pem_lib.c:745:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
    INFO: The SSL certificate openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt is valid.

On the one hand the validation fails but on the other hand it says, that the cert is valid (even though it is certainly not). I removed it and even after a reboot all seems fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed the update and found the problem. In /etc/ssl/certs was a folder, that was named like a certificate and this tripped up the cronjob. I do not know why there was such a folder as I never created it in the first place but now it is gone.

The debug output still seemed a little odd:

Code
    Validating the SSL certificate /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt ...
    140373500593472:error:0909006C:PEM routines:get_name:no start line:../crypto/pem/pem_lib.c:745:Expecting: TRUSTED CERTIFICATE
    INFO: The SSL certificate openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt is valid.

On the one hand the validation fails but on the other hand it says, that the cert is valid (even though it is certainly not). I removed it and even after a reboot all seems fine.

Hmmm, that's right. Don't know how this can happen because according to this the script should exit on failure because -e is set. So it might be that openssl does not exit with an error code.

It's not a nice behaviour, but i do not see a big problem here. Suggestions to improve this are welcome.

• I already removed openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt as it is not used anywhere. Also navigating to it in the terminal showed, that it was a folder called openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt and not an actual file. I could cd into it.

I'm sorry for not being able to provide the wanted debug output.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hmmm, i simply added openssl x509 -enddate -noout -in /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt into the cron stript and executed it. The script aborted as expected, no The SSL certificate ... is valid output.

Code
    # /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_ssl_cert_expiry 
    Perform a check for expired SSL certificates.
    Validating the SSL certificate /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-147fcafa-75fc-470e-bcb0-fd61b48286a0.crt ...
    Can't open /etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt for reading, No such file or directory
    140654221378880:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69:fopen('/etc/ssl/certs/openmediavault-955ffe80-857a-46fc-bc3b-f06f08162b0a.crt','r')
    140654221378880:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76:
  • RBash can be used as the default shell when logging in with ssh. It is a reduced bash with less features and access rights.

set -e has no output when launching in rbash.. When logging in with su the output of the command is also empty.

• Offizieller Beitrag

RBash can be used as the default shell when logging in with ssh. It is a reduced bash with less features and access rights.

set -e has no output when launching in rbash.. When logging in with su the output of the command is also empty.

This is a flag that configures the behaviour of scripts.

Based upon your experience i've adapted the whole code to explicitly define the shell that is used by the scripts. Hopefully this will fix your issue.

• The issue I had seems to be resolved, the anacron report did not have any error messages. Is there an option to only enable this mails when an problem occured? Right now I get them when no problems occured.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!