NAS Build - Tips and Suggestions

• Hi all,

i'm planning to build my very first own NAS in the next few weeks and decided to go with OMV.

It's going to replace my current "Homeserver" due to Storage limitations. It's an Intel Nuc powered by a 7th gen i3, 8 GB of RAM, a 120GB NVMe SSD for the OS (Debian) and a 2TB 2.5" HDD.

I plan to use the following hardware:

- ASRock mITX Pentium J5040

- 16 GB of RAM

- 250GB SSD Drive for OMV

- 2 x 4 TB or 2 x 6 TB Seagate Ironwolf (haven't decided yet)

- M2 to Sata Adapter (for +2 Sata Ports) - just in case i need some more Storage

- 400W beQuiet ATX PSU

- Fractal Design Node 804

Is there anything you would change?

Requirements:

24x7 availability

Low power usage

Plex streaming (no transcoding and max. 2 Streams)

Enough Storage for Iso's

Several other Docker Containers

The server itself won't contain any important data so I'm not sure right now if I should use RAID/snapRAID or not. What is your recommendation and how do you handle it?

Kind regards

fab4x

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think that's gonna meet your low power requirement (just a guess)

Backup.. No need for RAID. It's only a 2 drive system (not counting the OS). I'd just set up an rsync job on your storage drives, and schedule it to run once a day, and back up that way. Keep the drives independent.

The 250gig SSD, is kinda overkill for the OS. So if you think you may need more sata ports, just use a flash drive (I'd recommend 32gigs w/ 16gigs of RAM).. and put OMV on it.

Beyond that.. I will tell you that board would be a no go for me. I absolutely detest realtek LAN devices and Linux (they have given me nothing but problems over the years, but YMMV). So if a LAN is not Intel or Atheros based, I do not consider the board.

• Thanks for your reply.

Well the J5040 has a TDP of 10W which will be ideal but I agree with you on the Realtek Chipset. I had so many problems even with Windows on my Z97 Board. Are there any alternatives on the market with an atheros or intel chipset?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for your reply.

Well the J5040 has a TDP of 10W which will be ideal but I agree with you on the Realtek Chipset. I had so many problems even with Windows on my Z97 Board. Are there any alternatives on the market with an atheros or intel chipset?

Not really, sorry.

Have you looked at your MicroATX options? The chassis will handle it, it will offer a lot more expension if needed (that case can hold 10 3.5in drives, and you're limiting yourself right ouf the gate due to the board limitations).

A Micro ATX, would have a few free pcie slots, which you could use for a sata card to fill it out if needed (better than the m2 adapter you mentioned, IMO)

• I can get my hands on a used Asus PRO B560M-C which has 6 Sata Ports and uses Intel LAN. So I should be set for the future.

Just wondering which CPU I should get. I saw that you're using the Pentium Gold G6405 in your OMV Machine and I'm curious how much power it's drawing. Did you ever measure the power consumption?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can get my hands on a used Asus PRO B560M-C which has 6 Sata Ports and uses Intel LAN. So I should be set for the future.

Just wondering which CPU I should get. I saw that you're using the Pentium Gold G6405 in your OMV Machine and I'm curious how much power it's drawing. Did you ever measure the power consumption?

Honestly, I don't pay any attention to power...

I can tell you our monthly utility bill went up like 3-4 dollars when I built this server.. and that was adding 2 additional drives, etc.

My old CPU was a Celeron G1610

• If you get a SSD for the OS don't spend a lot of money on getting a big drive. I have a 250G SSD and very little of it is used. Honestly I could have gone with a drive half or maybe even a quarter the size.

If you can't be good, be good at it.

System Information

Version

6.8.0-1 (Shaitan)

Processor

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics

Kernel

Linux 6.2.16-4-bpo11-pve

Memory

16 gig

Video Card

NVDIA Quadro P600 (for Plex HW transcoding)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you get a SSD for the OS don't spend a lot of money on getting a big drive. I have a 250G SSD and very little of it is used. Honestly I could have gone with a drive half or maybe even a quarter the size.

Sound advice.

I'm using a 64gig flash drive for my OS, and am honestly wondering why I didn't just go with 32 (i'm using just under 5gigs, plus around a 10gig swap I believe)

• Sound advice.

I'm using a 64gig flash drive for my OS, and am honestly wondering why I didn't just go with 32 (i'm using just under 5gigs, plus around a 10gig swap I believe)

I use a 16GB USB, and have used 16GB SSDs in the past. More than enough, but getting more difficult to find.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use a 16GB USB, and have used 16GB SSDs in the past. More than enough, but getting more difficult to find.

Yup, and most of them (at least nowadays) that are all over Amazon, Ebay and Newegg are some knock off brand... KingDon, etc.) When I helped my buddy build his first server about 6yrs ago, he used a 16gig SSD from KingDon. It's still in use and I believe he paid about $13 for it.

• I got all my Samsung 16GB SSDs used on ebay. They were all less than $10.00 each. The PNY USB sticks came from both Amazon and ebay, for $10-12 each.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for your help so far.

That's the Hardware I'll be starting with:

- Intel Pentium G6405

- ASUS PRO B560M-C/CSM

- Noctua NH-U9S

- 4 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans I had laying around

- 2 x 8 GB DDR4 Crucial @2666MHz

- 250GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for the OS (Huge but cheap)

- 250GB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (for Docker Containers)

- 1 x 4TB Irongate Seawolf

- 2 x 3TB Seagate NAS Drives from my old NAS (doing a burn in: https://perfectmediaserver.com/hardware/new-drive-burnin/)

- bequiet Straight Power 11 FM 450W

- Fractal Design Node 804

Can't wait to complete this build and let it run :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't wait to complete this build and let it run

So you don't get bored waiting ;)

omv6:new_user_guide [omv-extras.org]

• After a week of assembling and troubleshooting, i can proudly present my first OMV Machine.

Wasn't an easy job getting this thing running due to problems with the Mainboard/Intel LAN Chipset.

The installer didn't detect the Intel LAN Chipset correctly because of an NVM Checksum Error which I was able to fix with bootutil64e.

After the install of OMV I've found out that my MAC Address had been set to 88:88:88:87:88 because of the BIOS Update I applied while trying to fix the NVM Checksum Error. I went down the path of finding a fitting/compatible eeupdate file with which I could reflash the correct MAC Address. This part took me almost three days and I surely catched some Viruses on the net while trying to obtain the right file. In the end I got the right one and flashing the correct MAC Address wasn't that difficult. If anyone else has trouble with the I219-V Chipset, don't hesitate to contact me. I can spare you the time I had to waste to fix this problem.

Right now I'm setting up my Docker Containers and transfering the files from the old server.

Thanks for helping me finding the appropriate hardware for my server. I can't thank you enough.

• - 400W beQuiet ATX PSU

this PSU is to big, get something smaller. There's TFX 300W from be!quiet. You can add ATX adapter - it will work.

It will allow you to squeeze additional 1W. Generally the lower PSU the better. You could probably also try with PicoPSU 150W.

- 2 x 8 GB DDR4 Crucial @2666MHz

use one 16GB instead of two 8GB

- 4 Noctua NF-F12 PWM Fans I had laying around

waste of energy except there's really a need for - highly doubtful

- 250GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for the OS (Huge but cheap)

- 250GB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (for Docker Containers)

replace with on 512GB.

- 1 x 4TB Irongate Seawolf

- 2 x 3TB Seagate NAS Drives from my old NAS

each 3.5" will use around 3W in idle! better replace this with two higher capacity disks.

- bequiet Straight Power 11 FM 450W

even worse than before. Idle power consumption will be higher.

for comparison:

Asrock B460M ITX with i3-10100 + 16GB DDR + Crucial p512 256GB.

3 vms running, with 400W PSU Gold

This takes around 11.5W in idle, and maximum is around 60W when doing test with "stress" command.

With hdd it will be extra 3W.

• Well the J5040 has a TDP of 10W which will be ideal but I agree with you on the Realtek Chipset. I had so many problems even with Windows on my Z97 Board. Are there any alternatives on the market with an atheros or intel chipset?

the Realtek is a stable chipset, you can ask on Debian IRC. The problems if occurs are usually related to something else like bad mobo in general.

Intel also has bad chipsets, you can read about problems with 2.5Gbps ones.

• use one 16GB instead of two 8GB

How much power do you think this saves?

Judging by the measurements at tomshardware.com it looks like the power difference would be in the region of 1W.

I guess it is the matter of opinion (and the intended server usage) if the power savings with a single DDR4 stick worth the sacrifice of dual-channel throughput of two sticks.

• How much power do you think this saves?

DDR4 DIMMs and System Power Consumption - We Tested
    We tested a low power 1U system with 16x and 4x DDR4 DIMMs to see the power consumption impact of using fewer RDIMMs in a server
    www.servethehome.com

it seems for RDIMM it's around 2W per module.

if the power savings with a single DDR4 stick worth the sacrifice of dual-channel throughput of two sticks.

do you perform advanced computation on that NAS box? Or will you be using it for extreme gaming? If not then dual-channel isn't needed.

Here:

Single channel vs dual-channel DDR4 RAM on the AMD Ryzen platform (Zephyrus G14 GA401)
    As you might be aware, single-channel RAM notebook configurations experience a significant drop in gaming performance compared to a dual-channel
    www.ultrabookreview.com

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!