NAS Build - Tips and Suggestions

• The PSU is fine for my needs. I wanted one which is fully modular and this was the best I could get. I decided not to use a PicoPSU due to several reasons which are based on my personal experiences.

I agree with you on the RAM - I had one of those lying around and just got another one for 20€.

I'm actually planning to get rid of the nvme and just get a bigger ssd and store OMV on it. The nvme is getting way to hot and the power draw is insane (close to 10W under full load - the datasheet says 8W max.).

Right now I'm only using one 4 TB Seagate Ironwolf because my old ones didn't make it.

The fans actually don't make that much of a difference for me. Each fan draws around 0.4W.

I'm idling around 22W (without spindown). As soon as i get rid of the nvme and enable spindown i might get down to 15-16W which is fine for me.

• this PSU is to big, get something smaller. There's TFX 300W from be!quiet. You can add ATX adapter - it will work.

It will allow you to squeeze additional 1W. Generally the lower PSU the better. You could probably also try with PicoPSU 150W.

A PSU that is too small can go backwards, if it rings hot it will not save anything with it. For example, if it were 400W, the 400W will not be consumed. The hotter the more loss.

https://github.com/Wolf2000Pi

OMV6 Hewlett-Packard HPE-411at - Intel Core i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz - 16GB Ram

Proxmox omv 7 sandworm Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz - 32GB Ram (Test!!!!)

• Little update on my efforts the reduce the power consumption. Removing the NVMe after adjusting the BIOS didn‘t make that much of a difference. Right now my system consumes around 14-15W on idle (didn‘t set up hd-idle) + nvme + keyboard and screen. When docker is running (tdarr - transcoding) + 6 other containers it consumes between 23 and 30w.

• The PSU is fine for my needs. I wanted one which is fully modular and this was the best I could get. I decided not to use a PicoPSU due to several reasons which are based on my personal experiences.

PSU is to big for this workload, you're wasting energy. Except you have some PSU with Titanium but these are insanely expensive for such a low wattage.

A PSU that is too small can go backwards, if it rings hot it will not save anything with it. For example, if it were 400W, the 400W will not be consumed. The hotter the more loss.

most of the time typical home NAS boxes (if it's not TrueNAS) is doing nothing and it's idling. Properly configured system without HDD should take at max around 7-8W. each HDD needs around 3-4W. When these are spinning up, they may require up to 30W if I remember. So if you have 4 disks you need at most 8 + 4*30 ~ 128W Having some mobo with integrated cpu that goes max at 25W give you maximum of 150W. Now I have normal CPU right now i3 10100 it takse maximum in stress around 60W, so again it's total of 180W. Still way lower than 400W and still around 60% of 300W PSU. Now tell me, where do you want to use that 400W please? 300W will be way enough for this system, with Certificate 80 Gold if will be very efficient. We must keep in mind that the PSu are most efficient at around 20 do 90% of their load. Everything below is a problem as it's wasting energy. That's why we have the Titanium and Platinum certs. But still 10% efficency from 400W is 40W and if our system is idling at 20W we're wasting energy. It's only marketing that's fooling people to get stronger PSU.

Right now my system consumes around 14-15W on idle

if this is with 3 hdds running then the result is impressive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!