How to connect a disk from a mirror omv RAID to another computer?

• I installed OMV and created a mirror raid. I decided to simulate a hardware failure in order to learn how to recover data. I took one of the drives and connected it to another computer. But I was unable to access the data. When I connect both drives at once, debian sees them as a raid and allows me to copy the data. But I can't do this by connecting only one disk. How to connect one drive to another Linux computer and access data?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your analogy is flawed;

1) You cannot simulate a hardware failure, if you mean you 'pulled' a drive this is not how software raid works

2) Why do you believe it's necessary to connect the remaining drive to another computer to recover data

3) Why are you using Raid1

4) What steps have you taken in respect of data backup

5) If you are referring to hardware failure as a m'board, then simply replacing the m'board, connecting OMV's boot drive to ensure the new board works and it's connected to a network, then shutdown and connect the data drives and restart the server.

• 1. I use omv at home NAS.

2. I use RAID1 so that if one drive fails, I don't lose data. The probability of failure of both drives at once is significantly lower.

3. Yes, I am considering the possibility of motherboard failure. I use a single board computer and I don't have another one to replace. While unlikely, a motherboard failure could result in the destruction of one or both drives. So I want to know how to access data from another computer.

Yes, I did not simulate a hardware failure. I assumed a situation that could happen. And I want what to do in this case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use RAID1 so that if one drive fails, I don't lose data. The probability of failure of both drives at once is significantly lower

Misconception, the probability of both drives failing is no less than one drive

So I want to know how to access data from another computer

Don't use Raid1, whilst it is possible to access a single Raid1 from another Linux PC, there are far simpler ways, + I'm assuming that from the first quote I posted, you feel there is no need for a backup

• Misconception, the probability of both drives failing is no less than one drive

Try reading the basics of probability theory. Perhaps you will change your mind.

Don't use Raid1, whilst it is possible to access a single Raid1 from another Linux PC, there are far simpler ways

I am already an adult boy and I will decide for myself what to use. You do not know all the details, and are guided only by guesswork. I do not consider it necessary to discuss all the subtleties of my home NAS here.

I just want to find the answer to my question.

I know that it is possible to access the data by connecting just one disk to another computer, but I do not know how to do it. I'm not good at Linux. But I am slowly learning.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try reading the basics of probability theory. Perhaps you will change your mind

No, I'm speaking from real world experience, not mathematics!!

I know that it is possible to access the data by connecting just one disk to another computer, but I do not know how to do it. I'm not good at Linux. But I am slowly learning.

OK then I'm going to impart what you should know, if a drive fails within an mdadm array (software raid) then the array is still accessible through OMV as the array is displayed as clean/degraded. If you shut down a server and remove a drive from an array and reboot the array is inactive -> why? because mdadm (software raid) does not know about the removed drive, it's software, it relies on instructions.

If a drive is failed and removed by a user from an array, mdadm displays the array as clean/degraded

You are assuming that by having a Raid setup there is no need for a backup, read my sig and this from 2015

A better way of doing this is to have one drive for data and the second as a backup running rsync in the early hours, then another backup to backup the data you don't want to lose.

I know that it is possible to access the data by connecting just one disk to another computer, but I do not know how to do it.

Yes it's possible but not necessary + it requires an understanding of how mdadm works and how to get that single mdadm drive mounted and accessible from within another Linux OS which means working from the cli.

• Yes it's possible but not necessary + it requires an understanding of how mdadm works and how to get that single mdadm drive mounted and accessible from within another Linux OS which means working from the cli.

That's what I want to know. Unfortunately, I was unable to use the mdamd. The algorithm that I managed to find on the Internet did not help me. mdadm doesn't see the array...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!