❓Move system to USB drive (Restore system from dd backup)

• Hi, everyone!

Didn`t find good instruction, so sorry for maybe dumb question, I`m engineer and like straightforward instruction.

I have created dd backup from my SSD system drive:

Code
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.fdisk"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.grub"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.grubparts"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.packages"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.blkid"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.dd.gz"
    backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.espdd.gz"

What is the next steps for create USB flash drive which will be my system drive instead of current SSD?

My thoughts:

• open balenaEtcher, choose USB drive, select 'Flash from file' and choose file backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.espdd.gz Because I have tried backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.dd.gz and got error that it`s not image.
    • when USB drive will be flashed - turn off OMV, unplug sata and power cable from current system drive
    • plug USB flash drive to NAS, turn on and choose boot drive as USB drive

Am I right or I should do some additional actions?

My expectation that everything should be smooth, I hope without any pains.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ddfull would be much better than plain dd. clonezilla makes this even easier if you still have your ssd to copy from. If you only have the dd backup, I would reinstall OMV on the usb stick and fully update it. You don't need to configure it. Then write the backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.dd.gz file over the OS partition on the new usb stick.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ddfull would be much better than plain dd. clonezilla makes this even easier if you still have your ssd to copy from. If you only have the dd backup, I would reinstall OMV on the usb stick and fully update it. You don't need to configure it. Then write the backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.dd.gz file over the OS partition on the new usb stick.

I still have my SSD, so I can use even clonezilla. Probably it is similar to MacriumReflect restoring, will google it now.

I would reinstall OMV on the usb stick and fully update it. You don't need to configure it. Then write the backup-omv-2023-03-18_01-35-09.dd.gz file over the OS partition on the new usb stick.

Ah, got it. So not so easy as I thought.

• Tried clonezilla didn`t help. Created image of my SSD and then restored to USB flash drive.

First error related to size because I wanted to restore image and they with different size.

Then I tried clonezilla with partition settings (not disk itself), also didn`t help.

After this I followed this RE: How to restore from an omv-backup?

instruction with new installation OMV on USB

Zitat

Here is a basic restore procedure using dd for the same hard drive but a change went bad:

• Boot systemrescuecd - if you installed the iso from omv-extras, it will be in your grub menu.
    • Mount your data drive - example: mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/backup
    • Figure out where your backup file is. dd uses the .dd.gz extension - example: /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz
    • Figure out what your OS drive root partiton is. Don't get this wrong! - example: /dev/sda1
    • Restore the files - example gunzip -c /mnt/backup/omvbackup/backup-omv-07-May-2018_10-36-31.dd.gz | dd of=/dev/sda1 bs=1M status=progress
    • reboot

32GB USB flash drive just stopped working. Maybe something wrong with my USB flash drive, but I also noticed that system has poor performance, especially during updating process.

Decided to continue use SSD. Installed fresh OMV, then restore my dd image via Live rescue.

And got this

sda2 it is exactly my system.

Now I can login via ssh, but can not login in GUI with my restored ssh keys.

Tried omv-firstaid but all items return

Zitat

ERROR: Failed to connect /var/lib/openmediavault/engined.sock: [Errno 111] Connection refused

• Try clearing browser cache Ctrl+Shift+R

Didn`t help. But what helped: reboot into rescue Live, opened Gparted, select my SSD and noticed that /dev/sda2 has ❗this symbol (or something like this), right mouse button - checked, something was fixed.

Reboot again and issue resolved.

• Offizieller Beitrag

select my SSD and noticed that /dev/sda2 has ❗this symbol (or something like this),

I don't know what that can mean, but maybe you should check that drive with SMART in the GUI. Short test and check relevant values.

• I don't know what that can mean, but maybe you should check that drive with SMART in the GUI. Short test and check relevant values.

Thanks, I`m also have no idea what does it mean, found in internet example:

, but it seems everything is fine

Positive thing - now I know how to restore disk from dd.

• chente

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • chente

Hat das Label OMV 6.x hinzugefügt.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

The SSD appears to be OK but I'm not an expert. For the health of spinning drives, I've been referencing test results gleaned from backblaze.com. They have the most extensive data set for hard drive reliability that I've found.

Apparently, backblaze.com is beginning to publish reliability data on SSD's. I'll be following that with interest.

• Offizieller Beitrag

backblaze.com is beginning to publish reliability data on SSD's.

Interesting. I would have bet otherwise.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried clonezilla didn`t help. Probably because I had DD image, not full DD.

I didn't suggest clonezilla to restore the dd backup. It would be used to clone the ssd directly to the usb stick.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I didn't suggest clonezilla to restore the dd backup. It would be used to clone the ssd directly to the usb stick.

Ah, no, I understood what you wrote, I just tired and maybe changed structure of my post and made mistake in sentences.

I rebooted into clonezilla, created image of my system drive and restored system from image to USB flash drive.

Twice. GRUB was removed from SSD, USB flash drive was empty anyway... So I just lost even stability of my system, but hopefully your post and advice with restoring partition from dd backup helped.

Don`t like clonezilla at all, for windows I use 'Macrium reflect' and it works smoothly, can do backup, restore, can open backup as image and navigate via explorer, but unfortunately linux has some weird unstable software.

The SSD appears to be OK but I'm not an expert.

My idea was move system from SSD to USB flash drive, because I wanted to have free sata port and also I wasn`t sure about healthy of my SSD, because I can`t do any short or long self-test of SSD (it doesn`t work) and it seems that SMART info also just frozen, so wanted to have USB flash drive with system that can be easily restored.

Also why I wanted to try USB flash drive instead of SSD for system - that because a many people from this forum mentioned that no difference in performance, because linux copies all to RAM, but it`s not 100% true, because I noticed huge differences in real-life performance: with SSD GUI of OMV works much faster, update process much faster and no any lags during I/O operation,

So, SSD as system drive is always better than USB flash drive.

I have pretty old 120GB SSD from OCZ Vertex180, Toshiba bought OCZ some time ago and now you even can`t find such brand. That's why I was worry, but I have almost 2 new SSD drives (bought on amazon 3-4 years ago and forgot about them):

-- 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

-- 500GB Samsung 850 EVO

So, when my 120GB SSD from OCZ Vertex180 finally die - I will restore my backup on any of these two drives.

All this story showed my how to deal with dd backup, how clonezilla works, so I already prepared.

I realized that dd backup (not full dd) doesn`t include boot partition, so easiest way to restore dd - install new OMV on new drive and unpack your dd archive to new drive, in my case I have to choose sda2, because sda1 - boot.

Thanks guys, you have great community here!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don`t like clonezilla at all, for windows I use 'Macrium reflect' and it works smoothly, can do backup, restore, can open backup as image and navigate via explorer, but unfortunately linux has some weird unstable software.

I've been using clonezilla for over a decade and it works extremely well. Not sure what you did but I think your desire to use Windows things is influencing your opinion. I have found far more weird, unstable software on Windows than Linux.

• I've been using clonezilla for over a decade and it works extremely well. Not sure what you did but I think your desire to use Windows things is influencing your opinion. I have found far more weird, unstable software on Windows than Linux.

Question:

When I restore dd backup to another ssd and I see dependency error /dev/uid....

What should I do? How to fix it?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!