Anacron btrfs check error after taking 6.3.5-2

• After taking the latest update (6.3.5-2) last night, this morning I got this email below from anacron. System is running fine and I obviously have a / partition so something odd happened in the configuration. Looks like some spaces or something.

steve

Code
    etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_btrfs_errors:
    Performing an error check on Btrfs file systems.
    Checking file system /dev/md0 for errors ...
    ERROR: cannot check                /: No such file or directory
    ERROR: '               /' is not a mounted btrfs device
    run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_btrfs_errors exited with return code 1
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_ssl_cert_expiry:
    Perform a check for expired SSL certificates.
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-pending_config_changes:
    Checking for pending configuration changes.
  • Output and yes I did a crazy thing and used btrfs on an md raid1 partition. Not that I thought of it at the time, but it later turned out this made it very easy to repartition my boot drive and the system never even went offline.

/dev/md0 /

/dev/md2 └─/vol/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-warehouse21-2

/dev/md2 └─/vol/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-warehouse21-2/docker/btrfs

• I've got the same email with 6.3.5-2

Code
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_btrfs_errors:
    /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_locked_users:
    Checking for locked/banned users.
    INFO: No locked/banned users found.

The output of the previous command is empty:

Code
      ~ ❯ findmnt --all --canonicalize --notruncate --nofsroot --uniq --noheadings --output SOURCE,TARGET --types btrfs
      ~ ❯     

HP t630 Thin Cliënt (AMD Embedded G-Series GX-420GI | QuadCore | 8GB)
    7.4.0-2 (Sandworm) | 64 bit | pve-kernel-6.8 | omvextrasorg 7.0

• I got a similar message too from 6.3.5-2 (Shaitan)

Code
  • I too get a error message, I dont have any BTRF file systems

Code

findmnt --all --canonicalize --notruncate --nofsroot --uniq --noheadings --output SOURCE,TARGET --types btrfs

The above shows no output

• I do not see an error message. The message only tells that it scans for errors. If there are no Btrfs file systems nothing is done.

No, I did not see an error - which poses the question WHY are we receiving this as a notification via email since we installed 6.3.5-2 (Shaitan) and not before?

• I did see the changelog

openmediavault 6.3.5

• Update locale files.
    • Do not configure monit alerts for CPU usage and Memory usage if they are disabled in the UI.
    • Set metadata to DUP when creating a Btrfs file system with the Single profile (default since Kernel version 5.15).
    • Perform a daily scheduled cron task that checks Btrfs file systems for errors. An email will be sent when errors are detected. Use the OMV_BTRFS_ERROR_CHECK_ENABLED environment variable to disable this check.
    • Perform a weekly scheduled cron task that scrubs all mounted Btrfs file systems. A report will be emailed afterwards. Use the OMV_BTRFS_SCRUB_ENABLED environment variable to disable this task. Use the additional variables OMV_BTRFS_SCRUB_PRIORITY and OMV_BTRFS_SCRUB_READONLY to customize the scrub task.
    • Improve cron scripts by added better logging output.
    • Display Cron expressions in human-readable descriptions on forms and in datatable columns.
    • Issue #1516: Adapt the UI so that it works properly behind reverse proxies.

Are you referring to the 4th point (highlighted), If so I understood it would send an email if errors are detected, as it says.

Or are you referring to the 6th point, If so, I question the need to send an email for every CRON job (success or failure)?

• Official Post

I was more referring to why you receive the mail regarding btrfs check since the update to 6.3.5.

I understand know, that your question is more concerning why you receive cron mail at all. Even for jobs that have been around before the latest update.

• I was more referring to why you receive the mail regarding btrfs check since the update to 6.3.5.

I understand know, that your question is more concerning why you receive cron mail at all. Even for jobs that have been around before the latest update.

That is correct.

To be honest, I only got round to enabling email notification on the 18th of this month, so I am unfamiliar with what notifications are sent, However, I have checked, and this is the first time I have received this Anacron job 'cron.daily' notification and therefore assume (based on the name cron.daily) this would run every day. Therefore having not received it before it has been enabled via the new release.

Is there a way to disable "success" notifications and only receive notifications where an action is required?

• Hi,

i'm getting these erros on 6.3.5-2:

Code
    /etc/cron.weekly/openmediavault-scrub_btrfs:
    Performing a scrub on Btrfs file systems.
    Scrubbing the file system /dev/sda2[/@rootfs] ...
    ERROR: cannot check                /: No such file or directory
    ERROR: '               /' is not a mounted btrfs device
    run-parts: /etc/cron.weekly/openmediavault-scrub_btrfs exited with return code 1
    Code
    Checking file system /dev/sda2[/@rootfs] for errors ...
    INFO: No errors found on file system /dev/sda2[/@rootfs].
    Checking file system /dev/sda5 for errors ...
    ERROR: cannot check           └─/var: No such file or directory
    ERROR: '          └─/var' is not a mounted btrfs device
    run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/openmediavault-check_btrfs_errors exited with return code 1

Adding --raw to the findmnt command in both cron scripts seems to solve these problems.

• So is the use of Anacron new in this release, as already mentioned, this mornings email was the first one from Anacron?

No, not new.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!