Getting Permanent Write Permission On SMB afterwards

• Hi,

i have configured my OMV with filesystems, SMB and so one. But when i download any new file, i can´t delete it. I always have to change ACL-Settings, then it works. I have got a hint that the problem is, that at first setup i made a mistake when mounting the filesystems with the wrong permissions.

Now my question, how i am able to change the permission, so the user "ed" can always write on smb-shares? In OMV-Web-Gui i can´t unmount/remount my filesystems. What can i do? I don´t want to delete the drives, because i have near 8 Terabyte of Data on it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Have a nice weekend!

• Code
    cd /media/
    chown root:users -r *
    chmod 775 -r

Check that ed is in the users group, which he should be by default.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• My bad, forgot the '*' and can not remember -R/-r correctly:

Code
    chown root:users -R *
    chmod 775 -R *

Try again.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• It's working. It just can't set the attributes for the aquota dirs which is okay.

Greetings
    David

• Only the owner of the file can delete it. You need to change ownership to the owner you are connecting with via smb.

change directory so you are inside the folder where you want to change ownership of all files and folders
    chown -R (the user you use to connect):users *

so if you user was "ed" you would do this:
    chown -R ed:users *

The default settings in the samba config are set like this on purpose. So another user cannot delete the owner's files/folders.

PS- You can always use root via ssh to delete files/folders.

Change directory to where files/folders are located:
    rm filename (will remove single file)
    rm * (will remove all files in a folder)
    rm -rf foldername (to delete a folder and all contents)
    rm -rf * (to remove all files and folders recursively, that is all contents)

• This is not the problem. I can delete files from other users just fine via SMB/CIFS. The Problem has to be somewhere else.

Greetings
    David

PS: Moved to SMB/CIFS Forum.

Edit: I can even delete such a file just fine via SMB/CIFS:

Code
    -rw-r--r--+  1 root  users  11G Mai 26 16:47 Filename.mkv

And no, my User is not part of the root Group.

• Just tested a bit more. If I do not have ACLs configured it does not work. If I use ACLs with applying it to all subfolders etc. and then create a folder + file via CLI that belongs to root:users I can still delete it, no need to apply ACLs again for this new folder. So my guess would be that the torrentfolder that is created does not belong to the users group.

Greetings
    David

• Now my plex is not working after i made "chown root:users -R *
    chmod 775 -R *"

What a you doing guys ^^

/EDIT
    I gave the user "admin" and "plex" read/write permissions in ACL for all drives and now Plex works again. Puhh...

• Thanks for help, but it did not help:

Code
    chown: Zugriff auf „*“ nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
    root@NAS:/media/f914a2a1-8aae-4e0b-b9bd-8e779c8c8673/MEDIA_4/_DOWNLOADS# chown -R ed:users *
  • Go up one directory and type it like that: (alltough it still should be root:users and not ed:users)

Code
    chown -r ed:users _DOWNLOADS

Greetings
    David

• So it all does not work :(
    This is too complicate for newbies. Maybe the problem is not OMV... its Linux. But its way to complicate. The whole user permission system is just redundant and not working for me.
    Now i see the advantages of i.e. Synology or QNAP Systems :roll:

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ed1k"

So it all does not work :(
    This is too complicate for newbies. Maybe the problem is not OMV... its Linux. But its way to complicate. The whole user permission system is just redundant and not working for me.
    Now i see the advantages of i.e. Synology or QNAP Systems :roll:

Synology and QNAP are both Linux and use samba just like OMV...

That being said, I don't know why you can't get this to work unless the data was already on the drives when you installed OMV.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Synology and QNAP are both Linux and use samba just like OMV...

That being said, I don't know why you can't get this to work unless the data was already on the drives when you installed OMV.

Hi,

yes of course the data was already there, when i installed OMV. Why this is a problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the data was already on the drives, there could be many ACLs/permissions/ownerships involved that don't match the current OMV users/user ids/groups. This could give you lots of permission issues. What filesystem? What were you using before OMV?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

If the data was already on the drives, there could be many ACLs/permissions/ownerships involved that don't match the current OMV users/user ids/groups. This could give you lots of permission issues. What filesystem? What were you using before OMV?

Maybe this is the problem, yes.

I use ext4, which i created with gparted. Maybe i have to change permission there?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, OMV can change the permissions the same way gparted would. Can you post the output of:

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!