Firewall Issues with OMV on Raspberry Pi4B 8GB

• hi i recently installed OMV on my raspberry pi 4 to test and maybe use, or possibly upgrade to a bigger machine. but after i had installed omv 6 and the tried to setup firewall i was unable to access my pi anymore over the network, i couldnt access gui and couldnt access via ssh.

Im not sure exactly where i went wrong, i setup the following rules.

input - omv ip and the following ports

80, 81, 443, 8080, 8181, 4443

output - omv ip and the following ports

80, 81, 443, 8080, 8181, 4443

i had docker, portainer and yacht installed and also had setup nginx proxy manger. i was having issues with letsencrypt not reaching my server domain, so i tried creating firewall rules. my dns is setup right and my ports are forwarded, also i havent had issues on baremetal servers with letsencrypt.

um my question is do i need to use omv firewall or can i just install ufw on the pi. because i tried installing ufw but still had issues with letsencrypt in NPM

• Offizieller Beitrag

after i had installed omv 6 and the tried to setup firewall i was unable to access my pi anymore over the network

I wouldn't know how to answer, but it looks like you've blocked yourself.

I don't know how to answer because I have never configured the firewall in OMV. But seeing this makes me wonder if maybe I'm the one doing it wrong. So my question is why do you need to configure the firewall in OMV?

• I wouldn't know how to answer, but it looks like you've blocked yourself.

I don't know how to answer because I have never configured the firewall in OMV. But seeing this makes me wonder if maybe I'm the one doing it wrong. So my question is why do you need to configure the firewall in OMV?

to allow ports for nginx proxy manager and letsencrypt, also i will eventually want to be able to access this remotely if possible. but running a few docker containers and yes want to use for letsencrypt and possible remote use later down the track if its something i decide to stick with..

would using ufw via ssh be good enough ad i know how thats done and would preffer it over the gui firewall panel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

to allow ports for nginx proxy manager and letsencrypt, also i will eventually want to be able to access this remotely if possible. but running a few docker containers and yes want to use for letsencrypt and possible remote use later down the track if its something i decide to stick with..

would using ufw via ssh be good enough ad i know how thats done and would preffer it over the gui firewall panel.

If you have a firewall on the router you don't need a firewall on the server. The router will define which ports are accessible from the Internet.

A firewall on the server would make sense if you are afraid that someone might attack the server from your LAN. In my case only my wife and children. My older son is starting to be dangerous, but not quite that dangerous yet... ;)

• If you have a firewall on the router you don't need a firewall on the server. The router will define which ports are accessible from the Internet.

A firewall on the server would make sense if you are afraid that someone might attack the server from your LAN. In my case only my wife and children. My older son is starting to be dangerous, but not quite that dangerous yet... ;)

i didnt know that i thought they were just to forward ports, i actually have two options on my router a port forward which i open ports to certain IP and then a fireward feature which i havent used. ive always been more comftable with using ufw on linux and eset on windows.

i just am not sure that for open media vault if using ufw via terminal will do or if i had to use the firewall settings via gui.

I guess i started using ufw on my paid servers such as hetzner servers because they usually have all ports open and it was a sort of line of defence. then started using it on all my linux buils home and online.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i just am not sure that for open media vault if using ufw via terminal will do or if i had to use the firewall settings via gui.

Sorry, I don't speak English and I use a translator to read the forum posts, but I think that this time the translator is not working very well. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

OMV will be protected against access from the WAN if it is behind a well-configured router. So no need for ufw or other firewall in OMV. You can configure services open to the internet without fear. It just protects those services and those ports. Once past the firewall, all security will depend on the access security measures available to the service.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess i started using ufw on my paid servers such as hetzner servers because they usually have all ports open and it was a sort of line of defence. then started using it on all my linux buils home and online.

OOOOk You have edited the post, now the translator works better, I understand what you say :)

In the case of servers in the cloud, it does make sense to use the firewall, I suppose. If the server is not behind a router and has all the ports open, you have no choice but to close them manually with the server's firewall.

The firewall you have on the router, which you say you don't use, you actually use it without knowing it. It has default rules that close traffic to everything. All you do with port forwarding is create rules that allow traffic on the ports you need.

The firewall has other options besides closing and opening ports, it's not that limited.

• I had a similar issue, no DNS after installing Docker from the OMV-6-extras GUI. Googled this and someone commented that the aforementioned Docker installation removed the Network entry and disabled access to the access to DNS. I decided to re-image my SD card and start over. Needless to say this fixed my problem. Did not do anything with my Firewalls (router/Pi/Windows 11).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!