sff-8643 SATA breakouts of 20/30/40/50 or 20/20/30/30 and 40/40/50/50 ?

• The lengths of 20/20/30/30 and 40/40/50/50 would be preferred to keep the drives together, but beggars can't choose so a 20/30/40/50 works too. What I've found so far is a cheap */30cm from China and Supermicro has a */50cm.

These are for a 8-bay U-NAS 810A.

• For the breakout cables, I tried 3 different kinds, I settled with the Intel/Amphenol h19948-002.

Misc. 810A info. in a Nutshell:

- 138mm x 68mm: Usable space for a touch screen.

- 30mm: Spacing to drill holes under drives for LED.

The rest..

- Generic Chinese 30cm and Supermicro 50cm cables... too much slack with the 30's, but the 2nd shortest 50 was still O.K. and the longest 50cm is just right.

- Supermicro CBL-0476L (30/35/45/55cm) overall better fit, but again the bottom was a little to slacky.

- Intel/Amphenol h19948-002 were the best fit being the top was 50cm instead of 55cm like the Supermicro's. Also they seemed a little sturdier than the others. I chose these.

Since the h19948-002's are sff-8643, I used a LSI 9300-16i. It's a pretty FULL card, but the cables fit fine.

The front panel is made of non-magnetic Chinesium and it's ~2.3mm thick so it feels nice. If you look at the front of the case head on, the gap above the drive trays has a usable 68mm vertical height inside. However, that height is hinder by threaded support pillars for the screws that remove 11mm from the total 68mm. Without removing those pillars, the greatest usable vertical contiguous length is 138mm x 68mm. This upper area is ~14mm deep so it's a pretty big gap and for some reason, it has a random cut out slot. The slot can be seen from the pictures on the website and I'm guessing it's there to insert a DSI ribbon for a touchscreen. Regardless, it's 1 less thing you have to cut out to add a screen. The total usable width of the upper area is about ~267mm if you leave the side USB 2.0 header cables in... if removed, ~307mm. Remember though, there is those support pillars and if you remove the 11mm vertical heigh for those and the horizontal width for the USB cables, the largest contiguous space is 267mm x 57mm. All this said, if you're will to give up the side USB and take about 1 hour with a rotary tool to remove 3 of the pillars, you could fit this monster in... https://www.waveshare.com/prod…ed-1/11.9inch-dsi-lcd.htm TOP.jpg

I've never used one with that many pixels so I'm not sure if a ESP32 or Pico will run it... might require a Pi Zero or similar/greater.

The gap inside below the drives has a usable ~6.5mm gap to drill holes for LEDS or what not. The total width the of opening for all trays is 240mm and within that there is 6mm of gap space not allocated to the trays. Thus, the width of 1 tray is ( 240 - 6) / 8 = ~29.35. But, after you factor the gap space back in you wind up with an expected ~30mm distance between each hole to drill.

To remove the motherboard tray, you'll need a Posidrive 1 (CRV PZ1)... this is the first dumb thing. You'll remove the obvious screws AND 1 screw that requires you to remove the front to unscrew. That's sort of dumb too so when I took the face off I left that 1 screw out permanently. The third dumb thing, to remove the tray itself you might as well bend the top left tab that was attached to front on the power supply side... don't bother wrestling it.

From what I can tell, you can't really remove the drive cage. There is a 7 or so screws that you can remove but at the end of those you'll notice some pot rivets which are seemingly holding the cage in.

Technically, an ATX motherboard can fit near perfectly but the standoffs and rear IO cut out will need to be shifted ~4mm away from the PSU side. You'll also have to cut out a portion of a structural beam that is holding the little side fan. Regardless, it _could_ work if you're desperate.

When measuring a CPU cooler and other things, the total height from the top of the pressed in standoffs to the top of the case is ~62mm. The standoffs themselves are ~6.2mm high.

Bad are:

- If it was just 7mm taller, a readily available and nice 5in touch screen could be modded in. If it was just 2mm... TWO mm taller you could put in two 7mm SDD's up against the front horizontally by the mobo.

- If the width of the case was just 2... TWO mm wider on the non-PSU side, three 7mm SSD's could be placed vertical along the wall.

- There is 2 rectangular pieces of metal above the SATA headers. They look they might have a purpose with some other case, but with this one they are useless and in the way of unplugging the SATA cables. I don't have huge hands, but I wear XXL gloves. So the pieces caused 2 cuts on my fingers (I wound up using hemos).

- It feels like status LEDs below the drives should be a built-in.

This is my first true NAS style case and it's not bad. I'm not sure how the price of a case like this can be rationalized, but for $250usd it feels like it might be $200usd case, even considering the Chinesium.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!