Thinking of Moving Away from Synology

• Hi

I have been a Synology user for the past 3 years. I currently own a DS413. This unit serves MOST of my needs.

On it I currently run SabNZBD, Sickbeard, Transmission, PhotoStation, Antivirus & Wordpress. It also serves as a VPN server and serves all my media to Plex which is on a Mac Mini. I have been a mac user for around 7 years now but prior to that I didn't mind putting together my own PC's.

The reason I am thinking about moving away from Synology to a more purpose built NAS is so that I can get Plex transcoding directly from the NAS. Some it just wont do from the Synology. To be honest with you I have looked at UnRAID, FreeNAS, NAS4Free as well as Ubuntu Server. However I do like the look of OMV and its hats off to you guys.

Currently I am testing in a VM on Fusion before I rush out and buy new hardware. I am having an issue with Plex (http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4756) and have posted in the plugin area. The other packages I mentioned, do they work without issue on OMV? The Synology has been as stable as a rock and I would be reluctant to move away from it to encounter any issues. I also understand that version 1 of OMV is in the works and maybe I should hold off until then. If someone can maybe talk me through the pros and cons of what I'm looking to do that would be great.

So far I think i've found a case I like, the Silverstone DS 380. However I would like to change the fans to some quieter models if this is possible? Thinking of starting with 4 X 4TB drives in RAID10 with OMV running from a 32GB SSD that I have. Can someone recommend a board, CPU and passive cooler to complete the NAS?

Your thoughts and help are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    James

OMV 4.x running under ESX with SAS drives passed through

• That, Silverstone DS 380, is a nice case. I saw someone else did a build with it like a week ago. We all, well probably 90 percent, use SSDs and they are best for the system drive.

For transcoding your OMV will do leaps over the Synology, if you use a decent cpu/mobo. You can stream from Plex too. I stream to TVs and transcode with mobile devices.

• Just as an FYI: The Celeron Haswell is the lowest you can possibly go with your transcoding needs for 1080p files, with 90%+ cpu load.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!