Parsing drive status and the dialout group.

• TL;DR: How can I make permanent changes to the system and where do I parse drive status?

I'm attaching some indicator LEDs to the chassis. The user of the determining script might require the dialout group so I need to know to permanently add a group. I will be using a device that is attached to an internal USB 2.0 header, probably a ESP32. I know OMV salts/hashes after modifications but I don't know how or where/where-not.

Three things I need.

1. Where to parse the drive status data.

2. How to permanently add a script as a daemon without conflict/blocking something else OMV related that is unknown to me. I don't really want to run Docker to keep this 1 thing friendly/isolated.

3. How to permanently add a group, although I don't technically need the dialout group. That said, I haven't used Vanilla Debian in a while, so I might.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where to parse the drive status data.

What do you mean by status? Like SMART data or df or ?

How to permanently add a script as a daemon without conflict/blocking something else OMV related that is unknown to me. I don't really want to run Docker to keep this 1 thing friendly/isolated.

Create a systemd unit file /etc/systemd/system, systemctl daemon-reload, reboot or start the unit.

How to permanently add a group, although I don't technically need the dialout group. That said, I haven't used Vanilla Debian in a while, so I might.

The user and group tab in the OMV web interface only makes "permanent" changes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What do you mean by status? Like SMART data or df or ?

Well, does OMV know when a drive has failed and will warn the user of such? If so, the routine I'd like would be what is in that routine. I don't want my device creating ambiguous or false positives relative to OMV's warning system for drives (if it has one).

This might be a bad idea :-/. Maybe I should simply find a way to associate an LED with a drive, I guess that could make the LED a little handy when changing drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, does OMV know when a drive has failed and will warn the user of such? If so, the routine I'd like would be what is in that routine. I don't want my device creating ambiguous or false positives relative to OMV's warning system for drives (if it has one).

There are multiple levels of failure for a drive. The worst being inaccessible by anything. You would have to try to access and catch the error after it times out. But when OMV reports a drive is bad, it is using smart which is possible to have false positives but it is trying to be proactive about it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OK. So if you're writing a plugin or similar, where would you attach a listener of some kind for this report? Is there OMV.broadcast.error.disk() or something I can observe?

I looked at a tutorial once for creating a plugin and it baffled me as everything seemed to be in YAML and not PHP (or whatever OMV is currently using). Is this guide still in whole accurate... ? DIY Plugin Development (Sept. 15th, 2014)

• Offizieller Beitrag

where would you attach a listener of some kind for this report? Is there OMV.broadcast.error.disk() or something I can observe?

There isn't a report unless the web interface is open. You could query the api/rpc for it or you could just parse the output of smartctl yourself.

I looked at a tutorial once for creating a plugin and it baffled me as everything seemed to be in YAML and not PHP (or whatever OMV is currently using). Is this guide still in whole accurate... ?

Frontend is in yaml (declarative). backend is in php. configuration management is saltstack. That guide is ancient. Your best bet would be looking at another plugin. One of the plugins likeopenmediavault-locate or openmediavault-wol would be good for your project.

• parse the output of smartctl yourself.

The project has taken longer than I'd like, but I now need logic that associates a disk bay to a LED and I'm basically ready to figure out the OMV GUI specific stuff.

I understand a SATA controller can't be probed for all available connections without drive connections but, is that the same for HBAs? I've tried MegaCLI and StorCLI with my 9300-16i but it doesn't show the individual connections. StorCLI does report "Backend Port Count = 8", but that's not really helpful. Is there no way to probe a HBA for stale/disconnected serial connections? Parsing connected drives isn't an issue, it's when the drive vanishes entirely that the LED association becomes entirely ambigous.

Right now I already have an ESP32, MCP23017, 3 resistors and 16 LEDs. That's not much since all of that is out in the open, but if I start to add sensors for association, then the availability of working room becomes awkward as it would involve soldering to backplanes or something similarly cramped.

In case I never get back to this, the ESP32 code doesn't have tests (yet) however, I've tested the I²C with to 2 devices (32 connections, I only have 2 chips) and I have no reason to believe it wont' work with more. That said, with more than 2 or 3 a MOSFET and alternate power source will probably be required.

The C code is attached (over 10k chars apparently). Also, it's Arduino specific mainly due to "Wire.h", although that's about it.

I've also attached a NON-finished python script I've been using that uses pySerial but I'm not partial to Python or stty or anything really. Again, it's not finished but you want to play with and have nothing... it's better than nothing.

The LEDs I'm using are https://www.digikey.com/en/pro…ht/WP710A10LVBC-D/5177415 They're 2mA and 2.65v (I'm running them at 3.3v like lazy rebel and they're fine).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!