3-2-1 Backup method - what do other users do?

• Hi there.

I would really appreciate some advice on setting up some proper redundancy on my system.

At the moment, I do not really have any proper backup strategy - combination of various hard drives and cloud storage.

What I really want is a proper 3-2-1 method and I was wondering what other people do to achieve this.

My server is a mini x86 PC, so I only have USB3.0 Ports.

I have an external WD Essentials Drive (14TB) attached, that I use for all my Data - a lot of this is just recordings, so non-essential.

I also have a spare 6TB 3.5" WD Red that I am thinking of using as a backup drive.

1. Should I buy an external caddy, plug the 6TB into that, and then use that for backups or

2. Should I sell the 6TB drive and buy a 5TB 2.5" external drive instead?

I really would prefer not to have to worry about a separate power supply for another 3.5" external drive, but it is a bit inconvenient that 2.5" hard drives have not moved on from 5TB.

I guess my other options would be to buy a dual-bay hard drive enclosure and put both hard drives in that (though they all seem pretty expensive).

Any advice or information on what other people are doing, would be much appreciated.

• Main disk is internal, SSD 60 GB for OMV and Docker (partitioned), using Clonezilla (SSH) for backing up OMV partition, not so often. External SSD datadisk for daily use.

Mainly daily home use, max 2 TB external SSD USB disks:

1) rsnapshot every day to another online SSD

2) offline backup - usb backup plugin (once or twice a month)

3) offsite backup (other location) - rsync (every 2 or 3 months), rotating disks

Asus P42 Intel N100 | OMV 7 latest

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ruudm ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I manage information in three different ways.

1. Documents. Irreplaceable personal documents. Documents and personal photos.

2. Media. Downloaded files that could be downloaded again. Movies, series...

3. Operating system, docker and kvm.

1. Documents

- Daily backup versioned and encrypted with duplicati on the server itself. Range up to 4 years. daily for the last week. Weekly the last month. Monthly the last year. Annual up to 4 years.

- This backup is updated with rsync and wireguard every day to two remote servers at relatives' houses.

- This backup is updated manually with rsync on a server at home that is always off, only turned on for backups. Normally every week or every month.

2. Media

- Daily copy with rsync and wireguard to a remote server at a relative's house.

- Copy with rsync to a server at home that is always off.

3. Operating system, docker and kvm.

- Daily backup of the operational system with openmediavault-backup and fsarchiver and another daily backup with omv-regen on the server itself. These backups are treated in the same way as documents, daily copy to two remote servers, and copy to offline backup server.

- Occasional and manual backup of docker and kvm. When it is done it ends up on the two remote servers and on the offline backup server. Maybe I should improve this part :)

• Thanks ever so much for this guys - really helpful.

I think my immediate priority, now, is to immediately get a 3.5" hard drive enclosure, so I can at least start backing things up. I can then start worrying about cloud backups as my "1" of the 3-2-1.

Is there anything in particular, I should look out for in a hard drive enclosure or are they much the same?

I would prefer one that lies flat, if possible, for stability reasons.

Found a copy of Amazon best buys, that could be likely candidates:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Ext...3.5+inch+hdd+enclosure&qid=1683634979&sr=8-17

and

Amazon product

The first uses a ASM225CM chip, whereas the second uses ASM1153E - is there any real difference between these?

The second one seems to use aluminum, which I assume shall offer better cooling - but can it be used flat (not absolutely clear)?

The 3-minute autosleep, on the first, is also a bit severe (unless it can be changed). I always use at least 10 minutes to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.

• The 3-minute autosleep, on the first, is also a bit sever

I've done zero research but, a case that needlessly monitors voltage might not be the best idea.

First thing about choosing a backup strategy is determining how much data you will backup over X amount of time.

• Thanks guys - this is really helpful.

I think the first thing I need to do is sort out my offsite backup strategy.

I have decided to use my WD 6TB HDD in a spare Odroid HC2, running OMV6, that I can leave at a friend's house.

Where do I start from here?

Should I set the HC2 to pull date from my server or should I push to it?

Which program should I use for this type of backup?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!