Recommended "HDD" Storage Box/Container for 4 x 4 TB Drives.. Preferably LAN Connection (10GB but will go with 2.5GB)

• I have 5 spare drives I want to utilize for download storage.. 16 TB. I want it to be part of the network and not have to use USB as my system as a whole doe snot have USB-C etc, so LAN is necessary. Any recommendations ?

I do not really want to have it so I need to install an OS, but not sure how I would create a raid either.

• Insane! I can not find anything that is either #1 Ethernet capable and USB-C only or is like 600+ bucks and has HDD’s already.

Man alive, I have a DL360 Gen8 Rack Server I guess I could put the drives in but Geeze, that’s a lot of hardware and power consumption for added storage.

I suppose on my DL380 Gen10 I could get a USB-C card and go that route but how does that work? Will OMV see, through the USB-C the 4 drivers and I can crate RAID array or will anything I get have it’s own OS where I create the repair and OMV would Simply mount it, through USB-C?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't have a specific recommendation but, maybe, a bit more info might help.

Is low power consumption a primary objective?
    When you say "5 drives" you're getting out of the typical "USB box" range which is typically 4. Beyond 4 drives, costs go up. At that point, with 5 or more drives, a used server begins to make sense.

I suppose on my DL380 Gen10 I could get a USB-C card and go that route but how does that work? Will OMV see, through the USB-C the 4 drivers

There's no way to answer this without more info on a specific card.

Would something like this work for me? And via USB-C and OMV RAID Software I could Software RAID?

I took a quick look at a few of the reviews. There is at least one that said it worked with Red Hat 8.

I can crate RAID array or will anything I get have it’s own OS where I create the repair and OMV would Simply mount it, through USB-C?

"Creating" RAID over USB is not supported in OMV's GUI. (Why? Because it's risky.) However, you can create an mdadm array on the CLI and (in most cases) it will be recognized by the GUI. Your call.

• network attached storage = NAS (ie. OMV, Freenas, or some proprietary box)

RAID = some kind of controller to direct traffic and/or handle checksumming (ie. a NAS or a RAID controller).

You can get external RAID boxes, but anything USB connected is not really recommended in linux as a long term connection type, Particularly if you are trying to make a mdadm RAID. eSATA or SAS will work better as a long term connection, but will be more expensive and require the connectivity on the system you are hanging them off of. A SAS JBOD can show multiple drives but eSATA and USB are normally single drive connections if you don't have a RAID controller in the box.

• Well that was my initial want. I do NOT want to do anything USB, but I could not find anything that seemed to fit my needs [unless I did and didn’t realize it was my needs]. I want something with a NIC, 2 would be better. Hopefully at least 2.5GB.

Also, I was wrong, it is indeed 4 Seagate HDD 3.5’s.

Money is obviously always a thing, but I’ll Also pay what I need to to make things work. Power consumption? I just meant that for 4 drives to have a RAID array as extra storage, I didn’t wanna have to utilize a legitimate HP Proliant Server.

• Well, here are some esata RAID enclosures. Pair them with an esata card or sata to esata backblane to poke in the system and "bob's your uncle."

esata raid enclosure | Newegg.com
    Search Newegg.com for esata raid enclosure. Get fast shipping and top-rated customer service.
    www.newegg.com

esata card | Newegg.com
    Search Newegg.com for esata card. Get fast shipping and top-rated customer service.
    www.newegg.com

sata to esata plate | Newegg.com
    Search Newegg.com for sata to esata plate. Get fast shipping and top-rated customer service.
    www.newegg.com

• If your current server can take an LSA SAS HBA card, hang a DAS box off it. Buy or make the DAS box yourself.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Alright.

So, I suppose I do not need to use my HPE Proliant..... I have another OMV Server I currently use and the MB is AsRock Rack X470D4U Micro ATX. I am currently using 5 of the 7 SATA3 ports. I was thinking to just get the sata to esata plate and using one of the 2 free SATA3 slots and a free PCI slot and then getting the enclosure I find better for my needs.

I do have a LSI SAS9220-8i Card.... Sitting in a box. But being the OMV Server has available SATA.... Too many options.

• I do have a LSI SAS9220-8i Card.... Sitting in a box. But being the OMV Server has available SATA.... Too many options.

The LSI SAS9220-8i card can talk to SAS or SATA drives via its eight ports.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Sas is a better option for sure, but if you can’t put the drives in the system, that is an internal card, so you would need an external sas drive enclosure and an internal to external sas adaptor. Once you combine sas and enclosure in the same sentence, the price starts to go way up, as sas is considered more of an enterprise type of connection.

• The 4 Drives are Seagate HDD, Not SAS I am pretty sure...

Going to get an external enclosure which has an esata output. Gonna get a esata to sata plate and then connect, on the inside, the sata to a spare sata input. I am assuming that is my option, without getting too $$. Also, I assume OMV will then see the 4 drives via the SATA connected to the esata enclosure.

• Hmmm, Unless I do not understand what I am looking it, this has 2 Ports... Pic is off the WEB but it is my card. Being it has to external inputs, how would I connect an external storage box to it?

If it’s an 8i, there should be a couple of cables that fan out to 4 drive connections per cable. As I said though the “i” is internal. Changing to external requires an adaptor and the right 4 channel cables

• Ahhhhh yes, correct. Port 1 - 4 drivers per cable plugged in, Port 2 is same so 8 Drives total. I misunderstood.

I mean, The enclosure is already esata so if I were to utilize the LSI Card, which I am assuming is better than the standard SATA input, I would, as you say, need to get an esata to the correct cable and adapter. Unfortunately, even through google searching I still would not know the best/better of combinations for this. It just is not in my knowledge.

• You are mixing too many different and incompatible technologies into one conversation.

--

• Well, I wont deny that.

Enclosure;

SYBA SY-ENC50104 4 Bay 3.5" SATA III HDD NON-RAID Enclosure – Supports USB 3.0 & eSATA Interface - Newegg.com
    Buy SYBA SY-ENC50104 4 Bay 3.5" SATA III HDD NON-RAID Enclosure – Supports USB 3.0 & eSATA Interface with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once…
    www.newegg.com

PCI Express Card;

2Port PCIe SATA III eSATA Controller - SATA Controller Cards | StarTech.com
    2 Port PCI Express SATA 6 Gbps eSATA Controller Card - Dual Port PCIe SATA III Card - 2 Int/2 Ext - SATA III 6Gbps PCI-e Card
    www.startech.com

Will this work?

• Should work together.

But I wouldn't get involved with any eSATA gear. You can do essentially the same thing but in a much more flexible and future proof way with a SAS card with external connectors and a DAS box with external SAS connectors.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!