omv-extras 6.3 / openmediavault-compose 6.7

• Offizieller Beitrag

What am I doing wrong?

read problem #6 - Solutions to common problems

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• The idea of course, is to eventually get away from Portainer and keep things within the webUI and make support easier. I know this may seem painful, but I think in the end, this is going to be an excellent change. Transitioning is really not that hard.

Take a look in the guide section. I just put a simple guide to setting up the new plugin for both new and current installs. Once that's done and seems to sink in for everyone, I'll go over stacks to the new plugin.

I understand the concept and agree with it. It just came as unannounced surprise and confusion, at least in my case.

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Have a look at this it should be of help

I followed the various steps but I'm exactly in the same situation as before, nothing new.

Thanks for your help.

OMV 6.9.15-2 (Shaitan) - Debian 11 (Bullseye) - Linux 6.1.0-0.deb11.17-amd64

OMV Plugins: backup 6.1.1 | compose 6.11.3 | cputemp 6.1.3 | flashmemory 6.2 | ftp 6.0.7-1 | kernel 6.4.10 | nut 6.0.7-1 | omvextrasorg 6.3.6 | resetperms 6.0.3 | sharerootfs 6.0.3-1

ASRock J5005-ITX - 16GB DDR4 - 4x WD RED 12TB (Raid10), 2x WD RED 4TB (Raid1) [OFF], Boot from SanDisk Ultra Fit Flash Drive 32GB - Fractal Design Node 304

• Offizieller Beitrag

I followed the various steps but I'm exactly in the same situation as before

That guide could not be any simpler, your #174 point 2 makes no sense, there is no portainer gui so I fail to see how it can be a black page

• Offizieller Beitrag

No data is shown in Containers, because it only shows data that has been with containers configured in the new plugin.

How did you install Portainer before? Have you tried reloading your browser cache on Portainer? (Control + Shift + R)

• Assuming you used a stack in portainer for mariadb, you just stop the stack, copy the stack (really a compose file), and paste into a new File in the compose plugin. Save and apply. Then press Up for that file. It will use the same image and volumes. Nothing will really be new.

One more question: in Portainer we had Env. settings (see bellow)

Do I need to and/or how do I transfer them to "Services | Compose | Files Environment section?

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• That guide could not be any simpler, your #174 point 2 makes no sense, there is no portainer gui so I fail to see how it can be a black page

I thought it would be possible to use the Portainer interface again, or any other GUI to easily manage my two containers (both created with Portainer). At the moment I am left with the CLI. How can I at least transfer the containers previously created with Portainer into Compose and thus see them listed among Compose/Containers?

OMV Plugins: backup 6.1.1 | compose 6.11.3 | cputemp 6.1.3 | flashmemory 6.2 | ftp 6.0.7-1 | kernel 6.4.10 | nut 6.0.7-1 | omvextrasorg 6.3.6 | resetperms 6.0.3 | sharerootfs 6.0.3-1

ASRock J5005-ITX - 16GB DDR4 - 4x WD RED 12TB (Raid10), 2x WD RED 4TB (Raid1) [OFF], Boot from SanDisk Ultra Fit Flash Drive 32GB - Fractal Design Node 304

• No data is shown in Containers, because it only shows data that has been with containers configured in the new plugin.

How did you install Portainer before? Have you tried reloading your browser cache on Portainer? (Control + Shift + R)

I performed these steps:

1- docker container stop portainer

2- docker container rm portainer

3- Compose/Files/Add from Example/portainer-omvextras

• Offizieller Beitrag

I performed these steps:

1- docker container stop portainer

2- docker container rm portainer

3- Compose/Files/Add from Example/portainer-omvextras

Now, you need to start the containers with the Up button on the Files tab.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4 | scripts 7.0

• Offizieller Beitrag

It just came as unannounced surprise and confusion, at least in my case.

How was I supposed to announce it? I can't wait weeks waiting for people to not read a post on the forum. And this really isn't as big of a change as some are making it out to be. The compose plugin has been out a year. Literally the only things that have to change are where you install docker and how you start portainer.

• Now, you need to start the containers with the Up button on the Files tab.

Great, it works! Thank you. Now I have Portainer again.

It's not clear to me at this point if it's better to "migrate" the management of Cointainers to Compose and how to do it exactly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's not clear to me at this point if it's better to "migrate" the management of Cointainers to Compose and how to do it exactly.

Yes, it's better. Read publication 1 of this thread, ask your questions.

• How was I supposed to announce it? I can't wait weeks waiting for people to not read a post on the forum. And this really isn't as big of a change as some are making it out to be. The compose plugin has been out a year. Literally the only things that have to change are where you install docker and how you start portainer.

Sticky note on this forum could have been a help. In the background how the thinks operate you are correct, but way of how it needs to be done now is different. People, like me for example, got used to do things certain way and are creatures of habit. Now this change comes and we are baffled as to what happened, check the postings on this forum. All of the help, explanations that we see here, and they are great, should have been, IMHO, posted here first and ahead of transition. I read someplace here that this change was slated to be implemented in OMV7, but was decided to do it now. So there was no rush, as far as I can tell. I like to stress that after working with this new approach/method for couple of hours, I think that this is much better approach to containers vs Portainer. Those are just my comments and NOT criticism of developers nor anyone else. I started with OMV4 and I see great progress and growing maturity of OMV. Keep up the great work.

• How was I supposed to announce it? I can't wait weeks waiting for people to not read a post on the forum. And this really isn't as big of a change as some are making it out to be. The compose plugin has been out a year. Literally the only things that have to change are where you install docker and how you start portainer.

80% of users don't browse these forums. I like many others was blindsided by this. Unlike most people, I am a full-time dev and am fully aware of how containers portainer and yacht work.

I totally support the compose plugin making things more simple and using docker files and compose files frequently with portainer. There are some major things you failed to think about as a developer before committing to this idea.

1. A MAJORITY of the people using OMV are following youtube tutorials and barely even know how to move a file on Linux. So years of this functioning the same and now most OMV users using this plugin just changed overnight. The few videos that exist supporting all the awesome features your plugin offers are now outdated. (And yes ik its simple to learn the commands but we are talking about the average user who now has to fill this thread with things being broken and having barely any actual Linux experience lol)

2. The average user is primarily interested in running applications like PiHoles and enjoying the straightforward integration that allows Portainer to easily create and manage networks. With the removal of the user-friendly features we previously had automatically in portainer, are you expecting these users to suddenly become comfortable with command lines?

3. While intended to improve efficiency and simplify processes, it appears to have the opposite effect. Deployment time on fresh installs has increased significantly. What used to be a simple 'get' command and click to install Docker has now become a process that freezes systems, necessitates a restart, and often results in hanging. The update process, as it stands, lacks smoothness and user-friendliness.

I recommend you revert this and add a tab to OMV extras with a warning sign letting users know the functionality is due to change with a wiki link and a warning ICON. If reverting is not an option please at a bare minimum add a wiki link or thread link with a warning sign under the omv-extras in the system so people aren't so confused.

I don't intend to ridicule you for this change but from any perspective, some steps were missing from this deployment to ensure a smooth transition. Nonetheless, you are owed a huge THANK YOU for all the work you've done on omv-extras. Thanks to you I have had my home systems running smoothly for years. I hope you value this criticism as more appreciation for what you've already accomplished more than random hate.

• Offizieller Beitrag

posted here first and ahead of transition.

How can I post things that are in this thread if I had no idea they would happen?

• Offizieller Beitrag

A MAJORITY of the people using OMV are following youtube tutorials and barely even know how to move a file on Linux. So years of this functioning the same and now most OMV users using this plugin just changed overnight. The few videos that exist supporting all the awesome features your plugin offers are now outdated. (And yes ik its simple to learn the commands but we are talking about the average user who now has to fill this thread with things being broken and having barely any actual Linux experience lol)

No one is creating videos that I know of. So, if I go with that idea, I can never change anything. I refuse to have to have videos up to date. omv-extras.org is a wiki that is kept up to date.

The average user is primarily interested in running applications like PiHoles and enjoying the straightforward integration that allows Portainer to easily create and manage networks. With the removal of the user-friendly features we previously had automatically in portainer, are you expecting these users to suddenly become comfortable with command lines?

The average user doesn't need to create networks manually. I have 12 docker containers on my main docker box and have not created a network manually. You can also create networks with docker-compose. I'm not completely against adding a network tab but in a YEAR since being created, I have yet to see a really good reason to go through the effort.

While intended to improve efficiency and simplify processes, it appears to have the opposite effect. Deployment time on fresh installs has increased significantly. What used to be a simple 'get' command and click to install Docker has now become a process that freezes systems, necessitates a restart, and often results in hanging. The update process, as it stands, lacks smoothness and user-friendliness.

Where are you getting this? I know people did not like the omv-extras 6.2.1 plugin that was in the testing repo but this is not that. Enabling the docker repo is significantly faster on all systems. I realize the update is not perfect but of the bad stuff was caused by users not following the instructions properly. I actually just went through the upgrade on my brothers system and cannot figure out why it was so bad for some users.

I recommend you revert this and add a tab to OMV extras with a warning sign letting users know the functionality is due to change with a wiki link and a warning ICON. If reverting is not an option please at a bare minimum add a wiki link or thread link with a warning sign under the omv-extras in the system so people aren't so confused.

I am definitely not reverting. That would be an absolute nightmare and more work than I have time to volunteer. omv-extras is supposed to have a wiki link (I forgot it) and the compose plugin does have a wiki link.

I don't intend to ridicule you for this change but from any perspective, some steps were missing from this deployment to ensure a smooth transition. Nonetheless, you are owed a huge THANK YOU for all the work you've done on omv-extras. Thanks to you I have had my home systems running smoothly for years. I hope you value this criticism as more appreciation for what you've already accomplished more than random hate.

I don't take it as ridicule but I do think some of it is unrealistic. I've seen much harsher transitions in enterprise IT software that we pay a lot of money for (VMware...). If people literally just installed the updates and did nothing else, all of their stuff would still work. This pain would've happened no matter when or how I changed it. Many people wait months or years to update and would hit this change missing all of the transition changes that would've taken up too much of my time. People complain no matter what I do if I change anything. And that is taken from over a decade of doing this.

• Where are you getting this? I know people did not like the omv-extras 6.2.1 plugin that was in the testing repo but this is not that. Enabling the docker repo is significantly faster on all systems. I realize the update is not perfect but of the bad stuff was caused by users not following the instructions properly. I actually just went through the upgrade on my brothers system and cannot figure out why it was so bad for some users.

I encountered this strange issue doing a fresh OMV install three times after I didn't notice the change (lol 🤣). I also saw someone mention the same exact issue in another thread/post, I'm not sure what would cause it but I'll do my best to break it down.

Fresh Omv install > install updates > reload > install omv extras > some new updates appear attempting to apply then from OMV's update manager (4 including salt and an update for OMV itself)

One of these steps caused omv to hang after applying changes requiring a full reboot to regain access

THEN when you attempt to update you get this:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation: The following packages have unmet dependencies: ** CONNECTION LOST ** █ OPEN MEDIA VAULT

Running omv-upgrade manually fixed this and any omv-extras didn't work prior to doing so (KVM plugin etc). Something small but from the post I saw this didn't only happen to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would have to see the output of the omv-extras install script to really know what happened. If you saw saltstack, then it must have been something else UNLESS you clicked the enable or disable backports button (that is calling all core omv code).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!