Is it good for archiving?

• Apparently a copy of the raid data should also be made.

It's probably best to use another computer.

Can there also be a local copy from raid to some disk?

There is also a USB Backup plugin, but I think it is the same as rsync to a local disk.

Or maybe I'm wrong.

Only the simplest command would prevent copying the same thing when it is already in the copy and it looks like this

rsync --ignore-existing -raz --progress Source username@remote_host:Destination

In this Rsync tab there is -a for archive mode, -r for recurase into directories, -z for compress, but I don't see --ignore-existing.

Should I add it in the Extra options tab?

Do I have to have the rsync server enabled on the other computer I'm sending to?

There is something like this in OMV and in the archiving computer to install and turn on the server there.

Alternatively, please give me some advice on how to archive data.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's probably best to use another computer.

I use both another local disk and another server.

Can there also be a local copy from raid to some disk?

Yep.

There is also a USB Backup plugin, but I think it is the same as rsync to a local disk.

usbbackup does use rsync but it only activates when plugging in a drive. The rsync plugin works well.

Only the simplest command would prevent copying the same thing when it is already in the copy and it looks like this

rsync --ignore-existing -raz --progress Source username@remote_host:Destination

rsync is good at what it does. If you think you need to ignore-existing, then you are never changing existing files. If the modified time doesn't change, then rsync knows to not copy it again.

Should I add it in the Extra options tab?

I wouldn't but if you want that option, that is what the Extra options text field is for.

Do I have to have the rsync server enabled on the other computer I'm sending to?

Depends. Rsync will use ssh if you specify a path. If you specify a module name, then you want rsync enabled on the remote server.

I use OMV rsync tasks to rsync to OMV rsync server modules all the time. This is more performant than specifying a path/using ssh and no certs or command line work is needed.

omv 7.4.6-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• usbbackup does use rsync but it only activates when plugging in a drive. The rsync plugin works well.

If I want to achieve something similar to usbbackup, I simply create a task in rsync but with the enable option unchecked and when I want to use it, I simply select the task and give run (this triangle)?

It's probably impossible to do without a set time.

Because, for example, I don't want it to synchronize immediately after connection.

How do I put everything in one directory, e.g. /szymon, and there I have movies, music and more.

For example, I don't want to copy the entire shared directory.

So I have to create a special share point for e.g. /szymon/filmy

If he only wants to copy rsync movies because the rest is less important.

Or it simply won't fit on the disk because the whole thing is, for example, 600 GB and the archive disk is 500 GB. And you have to choose what to copy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I simply create a task in rsync but with the enable option unchecked and when I want to use it, I simply select the task and give run (this triangle)?

sure

Because, for example, I don't want it to synchronize immediately after connection.

OMV isn't designed to connect and disconnect drives all the time.

How do I put everything in one directory, e.g. /szymon, and there I have movies, music and more.

Or it simply won't fit on the disk because the whole thing is, for example, 600 GB and the archive disk is 500 GB. And you have to choose what to copy.

Create a shared folder pointing to exactly the path(s) you want and then use those shared folders in the rsync plguin. Or just write your own tasks.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.3 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

• Offizieller Beitrag

Or it simply won't fit on the disk because the whole thing is, for example, 600 GB and the archive disk is 500 GB. And you have to choose what to copy

Not sure if it is what you want, but you could create one shared folder that contains symlinks to the folders you want to backup. Then create just one rsync job for the backup folder containing the symlinks.

You can create the symlinks from CLI or using the symlink plugin

• rsync is good at what it does. If you think you need to ignore-existing, then you are never changing existing files. If the modified time doesn't change, then rsync knows to not copy it again.

Will rsync delete data if I delete it from the folder where I use rsync?

Because if so, that's not what I mean.

What I wanted most was to archive the data.

Or maybe -a (archiving), i.e. archiving, ensures this?

Because I only used Rsync, it made copies and when I deleted something in the copy, it also deleted it. And so that it archives and stays in the archive even though I delete it in the main folder, I haven't used it and I haven't tested how it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will rsync delete data if I delete it from the folder where I use rsync?

Only if you use the --delete flag and that will only delete in the destination folder if the file is deleted from the source folder.

What I wanted most was to archive the data.

Or maybe -a (archiving), i.e. archiving, ensures this?

Because I only used Rsync, it made copies and when I deleted something in the copy, it also deleted it. And so that it archives and stays in the archive even though I delete it in the main folder, I haven't used it and I haven't tested how it works

sounds like you rsnapshot or borgbackup if you want archives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!