to use SD card or not?

• Pretty straightforward:

Running an RPI5, cant get USB to boot for some reason, but dont really care all that much as i want USB dedicated to Network traffic.

BUT: that leaves me with booting from SD card. (Im coming from TrueNAS so this is a big no no for me...BUT, i wanted to ask here)

Is there anything "wrong" in the OMV ecosphere with installing the OS and OMV on an SD card? (i do NOT plan to run any services. this is strictly a storage device. (It is my assumption that, as long as I dont run swap on SD card and dont run anything that will cause read/writes to the SD card (essentially, just running OS and OMV) shouldnt cause too many writes to the SD card long term. please let me know if i am misguided on this.

• KM0201

Approved the thread.
  • omv7:omv7_plugins:flashmemory [omv-extras.org]

Summary

The FlashMemory Plugin was designed to make booting from USB thumbdrives and SD-cards feasible and a practical alternative to booting from a hard drive or SSD. In addition to the relative low cost, using USB thumbdrives enable easy OS backup options, quick recovery from boot drive failure and it saves a SATA port for a data storage drive.

This plugin is REQUIRED, for a flash media boot drive, or it will have a short life. For an in-depth explanation see; Why is the FlashMemory Plugin Required?

• Official Post

i do NOT plan to run any services. this is strictly a storage device

this is what I do with my rpi4 backup system. Been running about 2.5 years. The install script configures your system so that you don't have to worry about an SD card with your goals.

omv 7.4.0-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm jumping onto this conversation, I've just installed OMV 7 on an HP Proliant using an USB stick. I'd like to install the flashmemory plugin but it does not show.

The link provided mentions that installing OMV-Extra is for OMV 6.

Can you confirm I have to follow that procedure for 7 as well? I Installed from an AMD64 ISO indeed.

Thanks!

OMV 6.8.0-1

ReadyNas Pro6 - intel 6600 - 8GB RAM - 3 x 4TB WD RED + 2 x 6TB WD RED

Plugin: openmediavault-flashmemory

• Official Post

Can you confirm I have to follow that procedure for 7 as well?

Yes. To get the omv-extras repo, you have to install omv-extras. https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv7:new_user_guide

omv 7.4.0-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.14 | compose 7.2.1 | k8s 7.2.0-1 | cputemp 7.0.2 | mergerfs 7.0.5 | scripts 7.0.8

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!