The little brother of "Chap", the ultra-low-power 24/7 DL-Station, PXE and more NAS

• Hey people,

in the coming days I will start a new project with my Raspberry Pi which is now without work for some months since it was replaced by my Intel NUC (used as a Media Player).

It is one of the first B Models with 256MB (Thanks to ryecoaron for optimizing the OpenMediaVault Raspberry Pi image ;) OMV and Raspberry pi ), so it may be not as performant as the 512MB version.

For Data and OS it will get a used 250GB 2,5" external HDD. OS will be placed on the 2,5" disk too to extend the life of the sd card. (Thanks to ryecoaron too.)

The purpose of this second NAS is to have a 24/7 running solution which will take care of automated Downloads and be acccessable without the need to boot up my normal NAS.

I will also add a PXE Server to it with a USB to ethernet adapter combined with a DHCP Server on that interface to be able to attach a PC directly and boot images via PXE to check that systems, or install them or whatelse.

Later on I may consider to place a MySQL Database for XBMC on that NAS too.

To be continued...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sounds like it should work well. Are you going to use the dnsmasq plugin? I need more people to help debug :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I hadn't planned on dooing so, until you may tell how I would benefit from it? I never ever looked at the Plugin.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You said pxe and dhcp server. It is easier to have them on the same server. So, I thought dnsmasq :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Okay... now I'm the real noob... I thought this was just for manipulation DNS routes or so and not a whole DHCP/DNS Server. :whistling:

Then you got one more tester for it!

Anyone any recommendations for a USB 2.0 to RJ45 Adapter? (cheapest that will work with wheezy is fine ;) )

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

dnsmasq does lots of things :)

I got the cheapest usb2 network adapter from Amazon for my laptop. It cost $10 or $12.

• Chip.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• If it were that easy...

Greetings
    David

• Well you don't know why my NAS is called Chap... naming this new one chip could be the logical solution, but I have to think about it ;).

To explain, on a Lan Party i teamed up with a buddy as chip&chap... the folks still call me this way. :P

Greetings
    David

PS: Thanks to Wastlj for dedicating a 320gb 2,5" drive ;)

• Main reason for me dooing this is that my NAS is so power inefficient and thats why I want to lower the time it has to run each day.

The Pi only draws about 3 Watts per hour which is practicly nothing.

I need to order a usb to sata/sata power adapter today because wastlj's hard disk is an internal drive. There are some cheap ones available for just some bucks.

Greetings
    David

• I've got FritzLoad and Pyload running on my FB7270 with freetz, which transfers the dl files to my Server if the USB-Stick is full. On my Pi there is OpenELEC and Debian on another SD-Card

• I've got FritzLoad and Pyload running on my FB7270 with freetz

Kabeldeutschland rented Fritz!Box. Thus I can't modify my Router firmware in any way.

Greetings
    David

• Still waiting for the hard disk, but the Network Adapter came today. Hell was I frightened as it didn't mention linux support on the box... had to google for the driver and compile it myself... but after a reboot it works. ;) (tested on my big NAS)

http://www.asix.com.tw/products.php?op=pItemdetail&PItemID=131;71;112

Greetings
    David

• System is running, for now. OpenMediaVault is installed thanks to Aarons image but I still need to figure out the possibility of Hardware Damage due to the fact that my USB HUB is backpowering my Pi.

Greetings
    David

• First checks with an ext4 filesystem

Samba write: 4,5-6MB/s and read: 2,5-4MB/s
    NFS write: 8,4MB/s and read: ~5MB/s <- NFS does not work out of the box! You have to type in rpcbind and restart nfs-kernel-server via CLI.

With XFS:
    NFS write: 9,1MB/s and read: 5,5MB/s

Oh and the GUI sometimes breakse and you have to reload it completely.

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• This looks better, thanks to 'CaNsA' I've modified the overclocking a bit further:

Code
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=6
    gpu_mem=16
    force_turbo=1

With the following results: (still via NFS and XFS as filesystem)

First one is read, second one is write.

Verfied temps on a 2GB write via NFS, they raise VERY slowly and not above 57,3° C with case open, 61° C with closed case.

Greetings
    David

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!