SSD - Alignment + trim

• I might be wrong, but I doubt the question you should be asking is whether OMV does it - the question should probably be whether the kernel does it. Debian is fairly old, but newer backport kernel might have a good enough support for it. You should probably get a confirmation from someone with more experience with that stuff though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The standard 3.2 kernel that Wheezy uses supports trim.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does the new OMV 1.0 make the alignment for SSD's correct during install ?

Is trim enabled by default, or do I have to enable it after install via command line ?

Greets Karl

Yes, simply have a look into /etc/fstab and check the mount options of the root device. If your SSD is correctly identified as non-rotating device the trim settings are applied automatically during setup.

• Here is a wiki page about SSD on debian:

https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOpt…#Partitions_and_Alignment

This is what i would do if i had a SSD on the NAS.

regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't have to do that. Volker just posted that OMV automatically detects non-rotating media and sets the appropriate options in fstab,

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat

Set "discard" mount option in /etc/fstab for the ext4 filesystem, swap partition, Btrfs, etc. See mount(8).

on my install discard wasnt set on swap

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• i have just carried out a fresh install of OMV using the iso image at 1.2 and the updated it to 1.6 through the gui

my boot drive is a crucial SSD, this one 120GB CSSD-F120GBLS LS http://www.scan.co.uk/products…e-nand-read-535mb-s-write

having looked at fstab, from what i understand it doesnt look like it has been detected as a SSD during installation.
    can someone confirm this is so, and what the correct options are to use under OMV 1.6 using the standard kernel?

cheers guys, im looking forward to building a proper NAS out of OMV, my previous effort was lashed together from old disks but the new build uses a SSD boot and 6x 4TB drives in RAID6 as storage :)

andy

• That looks as an usual fstab to me and I do not know if you can tell by the entries if a disk is a SSD or not. That doesn't make a difference for the fstab entries.
    You can check with cat /sys/block/sda/queue/rotational if the system sees the disk as a spinning one or as a SSD. If you get "0" it is a SSD, "1" means it is a spinning disk.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• for ssd domething like this:

UUID=blahblah / ext4 noatime,nodiratime,discard,errors=remount-ro 0 1

UUID=blahblah none swap sw,discard 0 0

Discard is the option you need for trim support

Tom

----

• Aha. And if discard doesn't appear does that mean the SSD wasn't properly detected during reboot?

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• like said above, on my installation the root partition was setup as ssd, the swap wasnt. But fortunately its a 1 minute job to change fstab and reboot ;)

Tom

----

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!