HPE Proliant Servers

• Offizieller Beitrag

Many thanks for answer my questions.

But now I'm really confused - Celeron G1610T is in the Intel ARK as supporting ECC memory -are you saying it doesn't?

What is the position with the officially supported i3-3240 variant? HPE sell this variant of the gen8 microserver with ECC RAM. So have they tweaked the BIOS to support/recognise the i3-3240 and work with ECC RAM in a system that is not actually activating ECC function?

Yeah there are some exceptions from Intel where some CPUs do support ECC and we support it, but don't let that confuse you. This is very limited on what CPUs we can support on it, so the logical choice was to at least have one low end CPU with ECC built-in.

The i3-3240 indeed does not support ECC, we can't help it. We are at the mercy of what Intel has available.

You have to understand that unless this is a mission-critical server, ECC won't do much for you. If you truly want this feature and good performance, then as I said before, just get the supported Xeon E3-1220Lv2.

If you want the higher clock speed, then go for the i3-3240. You will not have ECC enabled but the system will be faster. ECC being enabled is slower than having it disabled anyway.

Here's the quickspec sheet in case you need it:
    https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04128132.pdf

• Thanks for clarifying the situation.

It's only speculation on my part, but there are couple of HPE Gen8 reviews on the web dating from 2013 for pre-release models which were actually supplied with the i3-3220T. Possibly HPE believed the Intel specs at the time and genuinely thought they fully supported ECC. It seems Intel publicly then stated these CPUs did not support ECC after all, so leading to wholesale confusion. For example, Supermicro still claims ECC support of 2nd and 3rd gen i3 CPUs on their Intel C2O4 boards.

Can't say my use is anything like mission-critical, but even the home user wants to keep their as data safe as possible. I was thinking of using zfs, but with my G1610T, while performance is acceptable for pure file serving, doing anything much more soon shows its limitations. At least now, the options are clear.

• Ok.
    1.I will be using DHCP (in place of HPE raid controler), shall this give me an option in OMV to set up raid as a JBOD?

2. In this thread someone said that vent turn harder than when goes via HPE controler, is the noice a bit higher or much much more higher(hopefully not as a fan of PS3)?

3.Kan i begin with only one nas hdd(or is it needed two of them?)?

4.I`m going with a advise of putting an SSD on ODD.The question is: under which regime is needed to be?

• 1. I don't understand what DHCP has to do with drives. You sound a bit confused.

2. No idea. The place of a NAS isn't in the living room anyway. It should go in a closet or in the garage, so fan noise shouldn't be an issue.

3. You need at least a system drive and a data drive. You can have as many drives as your hardware allows.

4. Regime ?

• 3. You should be able to simply mount SATA drives. Do not use the built-in HP RAID options.

3. .....in BIOS of HPE dont need to choose any option about HDD`s? And what is second option beside of "built-in HP RAID option"?

1. I don't understand what DHCP has to do with drives. You sound a bit confused.

4. Regime ?

1.Has 2 to do with a question 3 from top quote. Is in OMV, `JBOD possible or not?

4. "Regime" in my language has few meannings...but this time i ment which setup/option(for example on youtube someone odd ssd has setup under raid0)? That is my question.

• I don't have a Gen8, but a Gen7. There might be differences here, but you should disable any HP RAID options. Set up the SATA drives just like any PC.

DHCP is dynamic IP configuration for networking. It has nothing to do with storage, disks, or anything, which is why your question makes no sense.

Your SSD should be connected to a SATA connector, the ODD one is fine (you can throw the ODD away). As long as the drive is recognized, there is no other setup. The installer will format and setup the drive for you.

• About putting OMV on internal USB port:

Mr.Spy as the many others do not reccomend this sollution becouse of architecture of the usb stick(i supose)!

1.Shall situation change`s if i put usb enclouser with a ssd on internal usb port?
    I readed(on the net) that someone has done just that.

And if is OK. with u, how should be intalled:

2.From micro SD on USB(SSD)?

3.Or make two partitions on SSD,first for OMV image(4gb) and the rest for the install?

• You're making it much more complicated than it needs to be.
    - Stick an SSD in the PC. It doesn't matter whether it's USB or SATA, as long as you can set BIOS to boot to that device. It's usually best to use the ODD SATA though.
    - Write the install image to a USB stick.
    - Boot to the USB stick.
    - Follow install instructions
    - Remove USB stick
    - Set BIOS to boot to the SSD.
    - Enjoy.

• Hi,

I just bought an HP Proliant DL20 with 8GB memory and a Xeon E3 1230v5. Firmware is U22 1.80, it seems to be the latest available. ILOv4 is v2.50, and I've got ILO advanced.

I put a Samsung SM961 256GB in it, on a PCIe / M2 adapter (Lycom DT120). The PCIExpress cage has two slots : one PCIE x8 on which the SSD is connected and one FLexibleLOM. The flexible LOM is populated with a 4x1Gbits ethernet 331FLR board.

I've got 2 randoms error, when I reboot the server :

One is

Uncorrectable Machine Check Exception (Board 0, Processor 0, APIC ID 0x00000000, Bank 0x00000004, Status 0xBE000000'00800400, Address 0x00000000'FFECF95A, Misc 0x00000000'FFECF95A)

It asks me to replace the processor, not less than than that (half the price of the machine)... nevertheless, the system boots, and gives me this error. If it reboot it, it disappear.

And the other error is that the SSD is randomly not detected in the BIOS/UEFI, which causes ESXi not to boot (the servers tries to boot on PXE ipV4 /v6). I need to do a cold boot to enable detection (a simple reset seems not to be sufficient).

Can you help me?

• OK. Barney eh ehm Nibb31!!!

After many try`s & fails i did succeeded to install OMV(usb stick with mount image on front pannel of HPE on SSD/usb enclouser on inner/motherboard USB port.OMV sow nicely both device`s. All installation went without a hick up.

The last one i can`t get ON!!!

Where exectly in the BIOS is inner/motherboard USB port? Under which description?
    When u say BIOS,you mean F9-Setup?

There ARE 2 main options that i don`t know how to set up:

Standard boot order (IPL)
    &
    System Options -> USB Options -> Removable Flash Media Boot Sequence -> 3 options

Any idea`s?

After many try`s & fails i did succeeded to install OMV(usb stick with mount image on front pannel of HPE on SSD/usb enclouser on inner/motherboard USB port.OMV sow nicely both device`s. All installation went without a hick up.

Where exectly in the BIOS is inner/motherboard USB port? Under which description?

&
    System Options -> USB Options -> Removable Flash Media Boot Sequence -> 3 options

Any idea`s?

&

Any idea`s?

------------------------------

New idea`s new front`s to explore....(i know,i`m stubborn as HELL)!!!

ODD is in place...let see if i`m lucky enough?!

• I came with install till the screen where i need to type OMV login:admin ; Pass. "openmediavault".
    But i get warrning that a pass is wrong.

What now?

Where is the problem ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!