HPE Proliant Servers

• This is just a thread for those of you that decided to run OMV on a perhaps retired or brand new server from HP, and have some questions or issues with it. Why would I make this thread? Easy. I work doing research and development for HP and I think I can help those of you wanting to run OMV on this lineup, and I want to give back to the OMV community as well. Do keep in mind though that I am not going to share what I am currently working on, or discuss anything about products that have not been released yet.

Other than that, ask away!!

Absolutely no support through PMs!!
    I work for the HPE R&D division. Have tech questions about ProLiant servers? Ask me!
    Learn more about HPE's iLO included in all ProLiant servers.

• Driver support is not usually an issue with Linux since we make 100% sure that our hardware is fully compatible out of the box. Worst case scenario, it just takes running the Service Pack for Proliant ISO and it will compile the drivers that are needed for whatever version you want to run. Piece of cake really!

I work for the HPE R&D division. Have tech questions about ProLiant servers? Ask me!

• Do you know, if there is a service-manual for Gen7-MicroServers? I think I've too changes the fan in the near future of my old N40L. A guide would come in handy also as specs of the fan. Same fan-specs for N54L?

• Good question, but the reality is that any standard fan with PWM should do the trick. The connectors are not standard, you would have to do your own wiring. Good replacement fans usually include Delta and Sunon (the brands we use), but in the end you can use any standard sized fans. On the mini/micro servers, the so-called quiet fans are not a good idea since the cooling profiles on these servers are already built upon the idea of a very low duty speed, which cools the server just enough while being as silent as possible. These fans would barely provide the needed airflow and it would have to run at full speeds all the time, possibly triggering thermal events unnecessarily.

As far as a service manual goes, I can look into it when I get back to work. We normally write those up and archive them within a few weeks after being revised, so it may take me a little bit of time to find it.

• The 40mm fan looks perfect, but the 120mm one doesn't seem to cut it at low speeds. Let me recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.de/Delta-AFB1212HH-Lüfter-4-pin-Gehäuselüfter/dp/B008B5476Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1410625267&sr=1-1&keywords=delta+120mm+fan

Papst is also a good brand to consider for a 24x7 fan.

• If you put a 5th hdd drive into the odd bay it could be necessary to add an extra fan there. I have 32degrees on the bays, 36 degrees on the hdd in the odd bay.

The 2nd fan Spy quoted is in the psu

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner

Edited once, last by tom_tav ().

• If you put a 5th hdd drive into the odd bay it could be necessary to add an extra fan there. I have 32degrees on the bays, 36 degrees on the hdd in the odd bay.

Statistics showed that as long as the drives are within the recommended Temperature range, the influence of lower Temperature values is rather irrelevant to the lifetime of the Drive.

See: https://www.backblaze.com/blog…mperature-does-it-matter/

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• yes but the n54 shuts down when case temp reaches 40 degrees (default setting) ... another hdd heats more ... so during summer it can become a problem.

And backblaze have lower temps, with server housing you have a more controlled environment:

Seagate Barracuda LP(ST32000542AS) 23.27 degrees avg

Esxpecially this drive shows there some correlation:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog…/05/blog-temp-seagate.jpg

Do your math if its good or not, i remember that with system temps around 40 degrees the failure rate goes prog. up

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV Stone Burner

• This is a customers manual. Not a technicians manual. :(

This is a service manual and not a customer standard user guide.
    It is a service manual to be used for repairs with all details in it for that purpose for a technician.

What more details do you expect?

• This is a customers manual. Not a technicians manual. :(

That is the tech service manual. I am not sure what else you need to service the machine. The only other document in existence is for the motherboard and backplane electronic paths, signaling, etc and those are reserved for the engineers only. We don't publish the electronic plans or diagrams for user-replaceable components, sorry.

• Hi Spy Alelo,

I have an annoying and loudish vibration coming from the drive bays on my N54L/
    There are 4 x 3TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 in there, and the vibration only happens when the drives are spun up.
    The box is only a couple of months old.
    Currently I have the box laying on the ride side, kinda helps.
    What would you recommend to prevent/lessen this vibration?

Cheers.

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

Edited once, last by CaNsA ().

• Try to find the source of the noise. Sometimes is just as simple as wedging a piece of foam between the piece with the noise and the case itself.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!