NIC configuration almost done ...

• hello all,

sorry, can't get it right ...

I have a OMV system running fine since a few weeks, but the LAN motherboard chip was not allowing "good" network speed (copying files was around 10 Mb /sec)

so I've bought and just installed a PCI card , searched a bit, deactivated the motherboard LAN, did omv_firstaid and ... it works +/-
    :)

I still have 2 distinct issues :
    - via the WebGUI, I can connect to administer OMV (good), BUT .... if I set the NIC to DHCP, the IP changes from time to time ... (normal, no ?) however, if I set it to static, and fill all needed infos, all works fine, BUT I cant check for updates (I get error messages)
    anyone has an idea on how to solve this please ?

- other thing, I guess due to my lack of Linux knowledge, is that after a few tests of copying files to OMV, the speed is still bad :( (same, around 10 Mb/sec)...
    I'm willing to bet it's either because I haven't installed any driver for the NIC (it's a D Link DGE-528 T)
    and/or because I didnt do anything apart from running omv-firstaid after install ... :(

here too, heeelp please :)

Chris

• You should have asked before you bought a new NIC. Are you on OMV 1??? What motherboard do you have, onboard NIC???? Do you have OMV Extras installed?

If you NIC is set for DHCP it will change ip address frrom time to time because dhcp is dynamic. You can assign a static lease usualy with your router and the mac address of the NIC so it will always be assigned the same ip address. Aaron and I both use dhcp and setup static leases. But most people setup a static ip in the web gui of OMV.

This situation with you NIC you probably need different module for it to work right. Many modules (like drivers) are built into the kernel. You can have problems if you have newer hardware. Many times a kernenl upgrade will fix issues with modules.

• hi Tekkb,

yes, I guess - thing is, I have the same "blocking point" on my PC, and after weeks of search of Win$ drivers, etc... buying a 10€ NIC solved the issue :)
    so I guessed it would be "similar" too in OMV :)

No, I'm still in OMV 0.5, and just realized that I could/should be upgrading to 1
    (yes for the extras, the 32. kernels...)

I'll proceed with the upgrade to 1, then I'll post here back :)

thanks !
    Chris

• copying files was around 10 Mb /sec

Sounds like either your network card, or network switch has a port limited to 100MBit/s or is not set to GBit.

(normal, no ?)

Kinda normal. Happens from time to time. It also depends on the router software how they handle it. Some routers give your device allways the same IP, some cycle them on every reboot, at least if the lease was no longer valid.

however, if I set it to static, and fill all needed infos, all works fine, BUT I cant check for updates (I get error messages)

You forget to set up the DNS entries. I.e. your router for first and 8.8.8.8 as backup.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• hi David and thanks :)

I'll try to play with this :)
    so my router IP should be the DNS IP ?
    I'll take a look to it ...

edit : cheated, like suggested by Tekbb here - static IP set up from the router, based on the MAC address...

OK, good, this is done ...

still have my mount hdd issue to solve then I can bother you guys with the network speed :)

anyway, thanks :)
    c

• Yup. Router should be one of the DNS entries.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• helllo guys,

upgraded to OMV, currently in 1.0.26...

still ... my network speed sucks :(

I have no idea how to fix this : either install the proper drivers (its a D-link DGE 528T, b, based on Realtek).

or : add some options to force the 1 Gb/S speed..

any ideas please ?

Chris

• hi all,

looking via the GUI at Support Info, I see the following :
    I've removed most of the info, only kept what I thought was problematic :

Link partner ?
    is it the closest switch ?

==============
    Interface information eth0:
    ===========================
    Settings for eth0:
    Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
    Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: No
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Port: MII
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    Auto-negotiation: on
    Supports Wake-on: pumbg
    Wake-on: g
    Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
    drv probe ifdown ifup
    Link detected: yes

=============================

edit : auto answering to myself ...
    I've tested a different cable - same spec, but just diff cable ...
    and then it WORKS !

:) and :(

solved !
    chris

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!