openmediavault-pxe first version now available for testing

• I am not quite sure if it have been mentioned before, but would it bee possible to make a openmediavault install. I know that I can install a Debian and then install openmediavault but it would be nice to have a openmediavault install instead.

• Hi davidh2k,

mit dem Neuaufsetzen meines "Stoneburner" sind alle PXE-Images verlorengegangen. Das heisst, die Images sind schon noch vorhanden, nur deren Installation ist kaputt und ich muss sie neu installieren. Nun "lahmt" der Images-Server etwas, der Durchsatz schwankt zwischen 150 und ca. 300 kbit/s beim Download der Images. Kannst Du bitte mal nach dem Server schauen, woran es liegt? Kann natürlich auch auf meiner Seite etwas kaputt sein ...

Danke und viele Grüße.

2 BananaPi, 1 OrangePiPC+, 1 OrangePiPC with OMV 6.0.x

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von omavoss ()

• Grundsätzlich scheint alles in Ordnung zu sein, muss wohl wieder ein Problem mit dem Routing/Backbone sein.

Gruß
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Das ist aber nicht so sehr schön, was kann ich gegen den niedrigen Durchsatz tun?

Edit:
    wenn es gelänge, den Download-Prozess der Images vom Installationsprozess abzukoppeln um die bereits vorhandenen Images verwenden zu können, wäre viel gewonnen. Leider weiß ich nicht, wie das zu machen ist ...

2 BananaPi, 1 OrangePiPC+, 1 OrangePiPC with OMV 6.0.x

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von omavoss ()

• Wenn du alte default file (oder die config.xml) noch hättest, könntest du es von Hand nachpflegen.

Gruß
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Das funktioniert nicht. Du musst aus den alten Default files neue Eintraege im Plugin erstellen.

Gruss
    David

• Hi. Thx for the PXE functionality. Nice to have a PXE server in the network.

Well, trying to gather some insight on WinPE and/or creating a Win10 install function in PXE. Have been searching OMV forums and the net, but it's a little flaky and uncertain on how to make it in PXE.

Anyone made a WinPE with Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2013 included?: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us…oad/details.aspx?id=48595 - and have a genuine Win10 install source on PXE in OMV? Need to install a couple of Win10 machines and more will come later, would be nice to have these ISO's boot-able on the PXE server.

Can anyone give a little insight on WinPE with the memdisk method? Like a paste of the setup?

Anyone have utilized this OMV PXE server setup for installing Win10 on clients?

Thx for your work.

• I haven't progressed much on the Windows PXE install, sadly. :(

Greetings
    David

• I have tried something like this before. I was installing Windows 7 from Microsoft Deployment Toolkit 2010.

In my pxe menu I had a entry that looked like this:

Code
    label MDT 2010
            kernel images/memdisk iso raw
            append initrd=deploy/deploy.iso

The deploy.iso file was made with the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit

I know this is not the MDT2013 and not Windows 10 but maby it points to something you can use.

• Thank you Henkall. I will wait and utilize a virtualization method instead, like run the toolkit in a VM instead, if at all. Until then I will use a USB install medium. Have been reading up on it and I think it's not worth the effort to implement it in the current version of PXE on OMV, and since I only have a few machines, which needs an upgrade, I will just use a stick instead.

I was also making research for future reference, but I don't want to hack my way through a solution, it was just if it was easy.

Thx anyway :)

• Actually it is not that hard to make a Windows PXE installation. The hardest part is to create a working WinPE.
    Google for creating a WinPE 5.0 there should be enough tutorials. You have to check if you even need a x86 version, most of the time it is enough to create only a x64 version. I don't know which tutorial i used back then, but i even have a WinPE Dualboot for x86 and x64.
    Now after you have working WinPE, you have to mount your wim file and edit your startnet.cmd and put start install.cmd at the end.
    Now create a install.cmd and build your batch install script for mounting a smb share where your windows installation is.
    Something like this:

Code
    net use i: \\OMV-Server\Share\Windows\10
    start i:\setup.exe

after that you have to save your modifications to your wim file.

It does not matter which Windows Version it is. The only thing that matters is what kind of version your installation is x86 or x64, then you have too boot the correct WinPE version.

I was able to install Windows 10 like this. I have a Windows 7 version which i am only able to start the installation booting from WinPE x86, on the other hand my Windows 8 installation is only starting with WinPE x64.
    That i because WinPE is very minimalistic and the x64 is not able to all x86 exe files. On the other hand with x86 you will not be able to start x64 exe files at all.

Here is a tutorual which is something similar, but not with batch scripts and he is creating a ISO (mine is booting the files directly). You have to use the commands by hand.
    http://www.tecmint.com/install…e-network-boot-in-centos/
    and here is the german tutorial i used.
    http://www.luis.uni-hannover.de/anl-waikpxe.html

• Also ich bin in letzter Zeit nichtmal dazu gekommen auch nur zu ueberlegen eins zu machen. Shadowzero arbeitet aktuell sehr viel am OpenVPN Plugin.. also nein, aktuell nichts neues.

Gruss
    David

• Hello all.
    I want to propose a method of installation of windows 7 using openmediavault-pxe plugin and some"hand" work

I used https://www.bromosapien.net/me…_Windows_PXE_Installation guide
    Let s asume we have openmediavault-pxe functional
    First step is to install in a Windows 7 machine Windows AIK,wich can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5753
    Run the "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" as administrator and go to c:\

Code
    C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools>cd C:\
    Create directory winpe
    C:\> md winpe

In directory winpe create a file winpe.bat wich contain:

u must change flavor to x86 from amd64 in line if u have x86 one

Code
    set ARCH=amd64

IIn ur directory navigate to tftp directory and copy \Boot to your pxe server root directory
    We done with windows
    Now in ur tftpboot directory we need some symbolic links

Code
    cd Boot
    ln -s pxeboot.n12 startrom.0
    ln -s winpe.wim boot.wim

Now we need to prepare a samba share for deliver sources needed for instalation ,it need to adapted for ur needs,but must look like the inside of SOURCES from your windows install dvd

Now let s add an entry to pxe menu.Go to openmediavault-pxe plugin and add entry

Now we need to instruct tftp server how to map windows folders and file structures or references.In the openmediavault-tftp plugin add extra options

Zitat

-m /etc/tftp_remap.conf

like this :

now we need to edit /etc/tftp_remap.conf and add

Code
    re ^pxeboot\.n12 Boot/pxeboot.n12
    re ^pxeboot\.com Boot/pxeboot.com
    re ^pxeboot\.0 Boot/pxeboot.n12
    re ^bootmgr\.exe Boot/bootmgr.exe
    rg \\ /

Restart your tftp server

Code
    service tftpd-hpa restart

Warning :every time another openmediavault-pxe entry will be added we will need to readd above lines to /etc/tftp_remap.conf

Now we good to go and try it !

I hope i didn t make too many spell mistakes and u guys will find this helpfull
    /Best regards

• I will alter the plugin code so that all substitutions are added. That way you don't have to change it everytime.

Greetings
    David

• Greeting all,

This is the first time I've had to post a message seeking support using OMV in 4 years of use. That may be testament to how awesome a distro it is, or perhaps the great support available on the forums that have resulted in never having to ask a question.... But I have hit a wall with PXE boot and I'm stumped.

My OMV box is running the openmediavault-DNSMasq plugin version 1.0.3 and openmediavault-PXE version 1.7... I have added a bunch of PXE images and I have an issue with getting a system to complete a boot via PXE. Certain things like Ubuntu fail silently, others like SystemRescueCD are a bit more verbose.

A description of the problem:

Start the PC I wish to PXE boot, select boot from network, DHCP gives the system an IP address and PXE starts to load, when it gets to the point where the system should reinitialize the NIC and contact the TFTP server, it fails... Ubuntu complains that it cannot reach the TFTP server or the network. Others actually show the error that causes the problem. DNSMasq is sending a DHCP NAK to the request for an address.

Research the problem, all answers point to using IPAPPEND 1 in the pxelinux.0 file. I tried doing that but my changes were overwritten the first time I did an apply and save on OMV.

Has anyone been able to successfully run DNSMasq and PXE on an OMV box? Or am I the only one having this issue?

I have not had a change to pull any logs yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Please post, if possible, screenshots of those errors. (phone cam pic is fine)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!