Can't access SMB/CIFS Share: FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am curious about the password sync. Are you sure you're up to date with OMV?

I looked at my dashboard this morning and i am running 1.0.31. I am able to change passwords within the web interface and mount my samba share. I'm pretty sure my password sync issue has been resolved, running smbpasswd at the command line seems to have fixed it.

I haven't got around to reseting my ACLs and setting my permissions correctly. My weekend starts after work today so I probably won't get time to do that until next week. After i get everything reset i will report back.

Also, getting back to my question about connecting to a samba share on linux and windows. Am i going to create problems if i connect to the same share in both environments with the same username i setup in OMV? What kinds of problems will it create?

Thanks for all your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also, getting back to my question about connecting to a samba share on linux and windows. Am i going to create problems if i connect to the same share in both environments with the same username i setup in OMV? What kinds of problems will it create?

I don't see any problems, except if you want to login with a different username than the one you're actually logged in windows. Knowing the existence of this problem, you should be able to resolve it by setting a different password or username in windows or OMV just in a particular case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Had to reboot to check since Windows caches passwords

You don't need to reboot. in windows cmd try first net use i'll display the shares

the net use \\ipNAS\share /delete, try and restart samba, and wait like a minute to try and log in with new credentials. Also if you want you can force disconnect by pid in linux, check in the services section of Samba and kill pid

• Ok I'm back....that was one long vacation. Anyway, i changed the shared directory permissions as described above and reset the ACL's of the same directory as shown above. Logged back into OMV with admin credentials and double checked permissions. My user had read/write permissions to the directory but now i can no longer mount the smb share. I didn't have time to dig in anymore, but i will post more tomorrow. any suggestions as to what i should be looking for. i plan on checking the syslog again to see if its password issues again or something else.

• Hello, I just found this thread because I had the same issue. I will just post my experience, maybe this will help also other users or developers for debugging.

In my case I installed Debian 7.9 netinst amd64 first. I created a user called "client0" when asked for a username and assigned a password there. After that I installed OMV as described in forums here.
    I created a shared folder after configuring Raid and set the ACL and permissions to read/write for the user "client0", nothing else.

It all went fine with FTP but I got the same Error when trying to access with SMB in syslog, while FTP works nice with the user "client0" and the previously assigned password. Restarting SMB didn't help.

Using the smbpasswd command like described I assigned the same password as was already assigned to "client0" and the samba share works now.

• I forgot to mention, I used OMV v2.1 amd64.

Have you created a user?

Not in OMV but during the installation of Debian 7.9 i was asked to create a new user. There I created "client0" but not in the OMV interface, "client0" also appeared in the OMV interface after installation of OMV. I wanted to try UEFI installation, that was the main reason.

• I used the same method to install Debian 7.9 for the UEFI support, so you should be okay going that route.

Samba access issues for me is typically because I forgot to setup the Samba/User permissions correctly *or* Windows is caching the wrong user. Here's what I typically do to straighten out Samba access issues:

1) OMV: What permissions 'user' has in OMV under User -> privileges. Make sure they are right and make sure you have the correct user.

2) In Windows it caches/saves the username/password for network access. If it is trying to connect with a user name that doesn't have the correct permissions, this will need to be cleared out. (Substitute in your IP address and username below.)
    a) Close any open explorer windows showing the network location.
    b) net use \\OPENMEDIAVAULT /delete
    c) net use \\OPENMEDIAVAULT * /user:yourusername

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!